The Hunt: Demon Eyes [Moved to Twine]

:joy: I promise no more MC dead scenes in this book :wink:

3 Likes

Honestly at this point i feel like you can add an achievement for the people that trigger the 2 death scenes, named something sarcastic about them being waaaay too aggressive and basically courting death. :joy:

7 Likes

That’s the plan if I include achievements x)

Still not sure if there are enough moments that would be worth an achievement tho :thinking:

Oh well, maybe when I finish the demo I’ll have decided :grin:

5 Likes

It’d just be padding to fill out the achievement list, but you could give a basic level achievement for whichever weapon the player chooses. There’s quite a few there, and the scene is deep enough into the story that it should discourage simply resetting to ‘trawl’ since that would be a lot of excessive clicking just for that 100% score. Better to enjoy the story more naturally as you role play, and if you happen to pick something that fires off a new achievement in the process? Then good. :wink:

You could also make things like ‘giving yourself away’ a type of achievement if, in the scene where readers meet Lupita for the first time, the player chooses to blurt out werewolf forgetting the company they were currently keeping. Little things, like a choice a more careful player might not normally pick, are ways to diversify play style, to help readers learn even more about the story they’re reading. Even after grabbing all the achievements for Fallen Hero: Rebirth, I was still coming back, and discovering new passages of text I hadn’t read before. Choice games like this can be amazingly complex in this way, especially in terms of personality stat determined flavor text. :slightly_smiling_face:

The only thing to caution about the achievements for ‘dying stupidly’ is that it might discourage any future replays for some types of readers who might otherwise really enjoy the story. Of course, some people have no intention of treating any kind of work with respect, so it’s on them if they don’t want to lighten up, and enjoy the story a bit more calmly. “Just be a little nicer” so to speak. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s certainly an option, though I have to admit I’m not a fan of adding in achievements for achievement’s sake, so to speak.

Might be because I’m not an achievement hunter at all, and getting an achievement for a choice you have to make anyway and that only adds a bit of flavor feels a bit… cheap? Like the participation certificates for school sports event everyone has to go to :joy:

Probably just my opinion, but I added the point to my clean-up-list ^^

Thanks for the input and idea! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I’m not normally an achievement hunter, either. FH:Rebirth was a rare exception since it did present interesting new pathways that provided greater narrative insight. As for some achievements existing ‘for the sake of it’, I know exactly what you mean about it sometimes feeling cheap. “Yay, you advanced the story! Have a freebie!” is probably the most awkward type of achievement I’ve seen in any game of any medium. :sweat_smile:

But hopefully I’ve given you food for thought if you decide on having an achievement system at all. I’d be fine even if there wasn’t one for a game as fun, and interesting as this. :blush:

1 Like

:yellow_heart: :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart: Thank you very much!

And yes you absolutely did :blush:

1 Like

Honestly, how did I managed to miss this WiP for so long? No idea…:face_with_raised_eyebrow: But I’m very happy that I finally stumbled upon it. Becasue… Long story short… I love it! :two_hearts: And can’t wait for more adventures of my I want to be friends with 99% of supernatural beings I meet - “Hunter” :woman_facepalming:. This will be fun! I’ll for sure keep an eye on future updates. Since I want to see mooore. :grin:

7 Likes

Naww, they sound adorable!

Glad you discovered this and like it so far :smiley:

Hopefully, everything goes smoothly from now on, and the next update won’t be too far away :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’m currently preparing the romance-related survey for when all major NPCs are introduced; these would be the questions that are currently in:

• Adding in additional ROs
  • IF Theo and/ or Veye are added in, making them available to non-binary MCs
  • Possible poly routes
  • Marking flirt options ([Flirt] behind them)
  • Neutral flirt options/ additional options to pick

If there are any other topics you would like to have in there, feel free to drop them by!

27 Likes

I knew it was coming but I was soooo disappointed when it ended; far too soon! I absolutely loved the story, the characters are fun and engaging and I really like how you much control you have over your character’s responses. I cannot wait for an updated version to play around with! Thanks for all your hard work!

4 Likes

sunday update 23.08

Hhhh, I finally managed to get past a scene that I’ve been stuck in for over a week x.x

I’m a bit annoyed about getting stuck in the first place because it messed up my goal to get the update out at the end of the month, but part of me is surprisingly calm about it because well, such things happen (growth you guys, growth). I’m still not entirely happy with how the scene turned out, but I’d rather leave it as it is right now. Good enough for the alpha :wink:

At least it means I can finally move on and already got a lot farther yesterday than I did the past week x)

I also used the past two weeks to play around with twine a bit, see how/if th:de could possibly be translated there if need be (the answer is kinda, would probably be a big yes, if I understood coding better.)

I also did some small tests with randomizing for later in the book (it’ll be so much extra work for a small scene, but I look forward to it, it’s going to be adorable :smiley: ).

Also played around with some test achievements, that will be implemented with the next update, see how that goes.

And before I finish this update: Seven days from now on August 30th is Lupita’s birthday! Feel free to head to my tumblr (link in first post) and leave her a message or ask her questions, if possible there will be in-character answers ^^

That’s it for this update, till next time!

Take care of yourselves everyone! <3

28 Likes

Made a discord! Link in the first post :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Tiny progress update, because I already mentioned it on the discord server:

I finished writing Xiuying’s branch yesterday. Next is the interlude and then the first rough editing :slight_smile: I’m not making any promises, but the next update can’t be too long away.

Which is good considering that my brain is already vacationing in chapter 3 x.x

Anyway, that’s all for now, regular update on Sunday as always! ^^

23 Likes

Hey! I’ve been sorta neglecting the forums and tumblr lately so seeing this updated while I was gone was awseome Its great to hear the next update might be so soon :blush:

this popped up while playing a character who only told partof the truth

1 Like

Glad you are looking forward to it ^^

The error should be fixed now, that was part of some test achievements I made, that accidentally slipped in when I fixed a small error in chapter 2 :eyes:

But good on you that one was worth 25 points XD

6 Likes

Demo update!

Chapter 2, Xiuying branch done!

Finally, a new update and the introduction of the fourth and final RO!

This update includes:

• Wandering through Maidenbrook with Lupita (or on your own).
  • Meeting Xiuying Zhou.
  • Finding hints about what the demon was doing while it possessed you(?)
  • And an interlude for both Bas’ and Xiuying’s branches!
  • A total word count of 91k+ words (without code) and an average playthrough length of 17k+ words (actually more, because the dead ends pull the word count down ^^’)

Please be aware that I updated the content warnings accordingly!

I’d recommend replaying from the start because there were some changes to the startup file and the previous chapter/branch.

As always, if you find errors, glaring typos, inconsistencies, have suggestions, or just want to scream at me, you are welcome to do so on the Cog forums , tumblr , or the discord server .

I’ll try to fix errors asap, but will otherwise take a break for a week or so before I start with chapter 3, recharge my creative energy and such ^^

Have fun and take care!

Below the full change log:
  • Added Chapter 2: Xiuying’s route & interlude
  • Added interlude to Bas’ route
  • Rewrote Bas’ flirt option, for easier coding of preferences
  • Rewrote the drink/don’t drink choice in chapter 1
  • Deleted Lupita’s first flirt option, added a second one to Chapter 2, Xiuying path
  • Added achievements for testing purposes
  • Minor coding/ balancing fixes
  • Changes to stat bar colors (not applicable to dashingdon)
41 Likes

The new update was really good. The dream sequence with the father was cool

4 Likes

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it was a lot of fun to write too^^

5 Likes

Update!I really liked it,and the dream sequence with the father gave me chills.

Also,I noticed this:

If they wanted to kill you…

1 Like