“You are dead.” The word sends a chill down your spine.
“I don’t remember dying,” you protest.
“That doesn’t matter. You are still dead.”
A chill again. “But…”
“But nothing,” he silences you, his skeletal fingers reaching out once more. “You know you are dead. Don’t deny it and don’t fight it. All you need to do is take my hand.”
This is a story about dying and what it means to let go. Faced with the ultimate choice, torn between your lost life and an unknown future, will you be able to take the Grim Reaper’s hand and pass over to the Other Side? Or will you be doomed to wander the world forever, weighed down by the chains of your past?
The Grim and I is a unique 150,000 word interactive experience by Thom Baylay, where your choices affect the story. It’s entirely text-based–without graphics or sound effects–and fuelled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
How will you react to the discovery that you are dead? When the Grim Reaper offers you a way forward, will you take it? Or are you still clinging to the world that you left behind? Begin the most important conversation of your afterlife as you take on Death in a story that will redefine the meaning of Choice; where the game reads you as much as you read it and where your greatest enemy is yourself. Challenge your instincts; fight your temptations; and embrace that most primal of fears. Choose your life, your love, your job and then make the hardest choice of all - to let it all go.
- Leave your body and bear witness or try to interfere as life continues without you.
- Meet, befriend and customise your own personal Grim Reaper!
- Choose your perfect life, and then see if you can choose to let it all go.
- Identify and overcome the unfinished business that binds you to this world. Love, fear, rage or ambition; your choices will reveal the truth!
- As the chains begin to cover your body, will you be able to fight free, or will you succumb to your vices and stay haunting the world for eternity?
- Forget everything you know about interactive fiction as the Grim Reaper questions your choices and challenges your motives, blurring the lines between fiction and reality.
- Explore the concept of death and the ideas of loss and letting go in the company of your Grim guide.
- Play as male, female or non-binary.
- Play as gay, straight, bi- or asexual.
Play the Demo here -> https://bit.ly/2KL2SMP
This game has now been submitted to Hosted Games. The full version release date is TBD.
Content warning - This story is about death. For those who find this a sensitive subject, please exercise caution and be aware that the game may contain triggers.