The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

Hehehe thanks Kir, you talking about the silent aficionados made me realize that I never voiced my support over here! XD
Well Anathema, it’s quite heartwarming to read that you’re making the extra push to give us the game you really want to. Like I was hyped before, and now I’m extra hyped? Is that even possible!? (And if you want to add chapters 9, 10 and 11 I don’t think there would be any complaints :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Cheers for all your hard work! :smiley: Hypehypehypehype!

14 Likes

@Anathema

Take your time. Make it the classic that it’s shaping up to be.

Ravyn will wait patiently until you are ready. She’s excited to her story to begin.

Ravyn smiles serenely and leans back in her chair, mead in hand.

5 Likes

Finished writing Chapter 8 and the new Epilogue!

It’s done!!! It is done and I am so, so happy with it! I’m so happy with the book in general.:sob: The new epilogue is short and goes straight to the point, and makes the game almost like a circle that ends where it began and… :sob::sob: I just like it a lot.

This means I have thus finished the first (and longest, and hardest, and also the most fun) of the four checkpoints to do before submitting the game. I wanted to achieve this before the end of May and I did it! On the very last day, but a win nonetheless. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So, now we have:

• Finish the second draft of chapter 8 and the new Epilogue.
  • Write all the suggestions/expansion of choices from my beta testers.
  • Put it all into code.
  • Do one week of extensive playtesting.

Next up, I’ll write all the suggestions and slight tweak ideas made by my beta testers. I’ll admit that going back and adding/changing things isn’t… the most fun, but! It’s essential if I want to make this game as good as I can, so I’ll try to focus on that positive when my mind starts to wander to other places…

As always, I want to share AMAZING fanart because I love it and it blows my mind that something I’ve created inspires others to create as well. So here is Alessa and Hadrian by the lovely talented Queendread (Tumblr)

Don’t they look amazing? :sob: Have a fantastic end of May! :rose:

146 Likes

Reading your joy and struggle about your writing just remind me of a song by Elysion …

" and i bleeding in a meaningggg…Insecure is how i feeling… bleeding in a meaning…"

Anyway… i am happy you manage to get through it, all the best to you🤗

2 Likes

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhh…

Oh my God! Rayvn! RAYVN!!! :woozy_face:

Rayvn strides into the room & stops short, staring. :flushed:

Me: Look at THIS… :grin:

Rayvn continues to stare, mouth open. Ten seconds later, a thud is heard. :dizzy_face:

…aaaaaaand she’s gone. :joy:

7 Likes

Beta suggestions are done!

Today I finished writing and putting into the game all of the suggestions given by my beta testers! The Rose is looking so shiny. I’m actually embarrassed looking at the demo now, it has so many errors and rough sentences, and well, it’s just so outdated. I wish I could upload a new version. ( ཀ ʖ̯ ཀ)

In any case, this step took… way less time and energy than I thought it would. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: It really goes to show how much your head can make a big deal of something that turns out to be quite simple.

This means that another checkpoint can be crossed!

• Put it all into code.

I even began to code the final chapter, the lovely number eight. Look at it in the CSIDE :yellow_heart:
chapt8

Coding is most definitely not my favorite part, and I’ll be editing the chapter carefully as I go, which means even less fun. But I can’t deny that watching the game take form in front of you is very motivating. There was a piece of coding that I was nervous about - it’s a scene with probably the most variation in the whole book, therefore I had a bunch of flags and strings to sort through - and I just solved it! The rest of the chapter should be a walk in the park compared.

My next few days are very busy, so I’m not sure how much time I can dedicate to the Rose, but as soon as I’m free from pesky real-life responsibilities (why can’t we live in our made-up worlds?) I’ll jump full-steam on this boat! It is so close! :sob:

Have a great week, everyone! :rose:

112 Likes

It’s almost been eight months that I’ve been following this wip. Watching the author bring up this legacy and shape it into what it is now is like watching a child being grown up by their parents. It’s been a journey. I wish the Rose all the very best. I know without a doubt it will be a tremendous success once it has released, as if it isn’t already!
I also wish to congratulate the author for their consistency . This has been a long and tedious journey since I have observed it and hats off to @Anathema for pulling it off and sticking with it throughout this time. :beers:

27 Likes

I’m not sure if I am missing something??? No matter how much I play through, I can’t seem to get the coin. Can someone give me a walkthrough on this? My apologies

Run through the halls, jump in the hole, and then try to pry off the statue or whatever it is

6 Likes

I found a typo “Sop”

Thanks mate

2 Likes

Finished editing and coding Chapter 8 and the Epilogue! :confetti_ball:

I can’t quite believe it, but it’s done. The game stands at a staggering one million, two hundred and twenty thousand words - code excluded.

I know I’ve said this again and again, but now that it’s over, now that I stand here, I’m so, so happy I decided to add this last chapter. I said in my previous post how the game was one I was proud of, and I meant it. But now, now I can say it with my whole chest.

This is my absolute best effort, the limit on how I can honestly stretch my writing. No matter the reception, no matter what happens from here onwards, that is the truth, and it’s strangely comforting. I did my best, I really can’t do anything more.

And, for what it’s worth, I like it. I like it a lot. This would be a game I’d love to play, were I a reader, so I hope you all will too. I’ve been emerged in this world for so long, and there’s so much I want to show you! So much more I want to write, but Book 1 is done. Truly, really done.

So, what’s left? Testing! I’ve made 6 different MCs with which I’ll be playing again and again with different choices and routes to try and catch as many errors as I can. Try to see if a path needs a bit more, if a choice was half-forgotten. I estimated it should take me about a week, but I’m not sure how much free time I’ll have, so we’ll see.

But, another checkpoint crossed!! Just one more before I submit the game. :heart:

• Put it all into code.

I hope your week started great, and may its ending be even better. :rose:

205 Likes

Wonderful news!!! Good luck with your game testing :wink:

3 Likes

Congrats I look forward to it’s eventual release :smiley:

3 Likes

That is amazing news!! Take some time off to breathe and relax. Then go look at it again to make sure it is all “up to snuff”.

Also, :hugs:

1 Like

Congratulations!!! That’s amazing!

1 Like

I’m happy to see you’ve conquered this mountain, even as a spectator I feel a strange sense of pride… I fell in love with this WIP when I first played the demo, and I’m more than excited to play it when the full game comes out! I miss my MC and his antics, haha.

What you’ve done is no small feat, I can’t even imagine the amount of dedication and patience that’s required to write something as massive as one million words, all with different variations for each MC and their choices!

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us!

15 Likes

Congratulations! I’m so excited to see this come to life and shoot straight to the top of the charts. I can’t wait to see Hadrien swoon over my prayer wielding shy!mc.

8 Likes

Congratulations on the massive accomplishment can’t wait to read it and get more Alessa interactions

12 Likes

Rayvn! She’s DONE! Get yo’self ready, chica! :laughing:

Rayvn side-eyes me sourly as she slides out of the room to get her gear. :unamused:

Remy & Riese smirk at her from behind their glasses of wine on the couch. :smirk:

3 Likes