The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

Of all the WIPs I’ve read, this one is the best. It’s very interesting and engaging. It is smooth to read and not confusing at all. The only thing that’s bothering me is what things makes you ‘sinful’? Aside from that, every other aspect is just perfect for me. Kudos to the author. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

I remember @Anathema said that sinful is with respect on how the MC’s action was against christianity , for example keeping the idol/coin and believing the old gods is consider sinful .

I suppose it is much like how the Knight Templar of historical medieval was accused of Sinful by keeping the Relics and idols , especially a multi-face idol where it claimed to be name as “Baphomet”

4 Likes

Well, its more of the choices you make along the way in the game. Being sceptical, believing the old gods etc puts you at the “sinful” side. Pious has to do with showing christian piety like giving alms, praying and helping others in the name of God.
I have to say that im pleased with the pious path, even if the church in this story is corrupt its corruption doesnt have to reflect in our character. i will wait for the rest of the book, the demo definitely has me wanting for more and seeing where the path i chose leads too.

5 Likes

The templars were more than likely framed similar to the judgement of St Jeanne d’Arc, they were only condemned in France, other countries inquisitions either found them innocent or left them alone. Unfortunately the pope was being held captive in avignon at the time by the french king(i still think he should have died instead of collaborating with Philippe le Bel). The remnants of the templar order would later be absorbed by the military order of Jesus Christ.

3 Likes

Thanks for informing me about that part. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I agree with you, it seems the French king wanted to get rid of the templar because the templar had been lending lots of money to the king, the king couldn’t possibly paid back.

That french king met his own demise shortly after killing the templar grand master and rest of templar leadership though, so justice had been done.

In this story , i am leaning towards the old goddess , hence i must hide my sinful heart carefully😅

3 Likes

Like others have said, the sinful stat reflects on both your thoughts and, most importantly, your actions. It determines how much you follow Church doctrine. It’s why it is separated from the other personality stats - it’s not so much as who the MC is, but how others see you. How other mouths would call you. How Eyes would classify you.

So even an MC who is very casual and unconcerned about religion may find themselves with a very high sinful percentage. Or one who approaches things methodically, who views religion more academically than personally, may have the Pious stat high instead. If you pray and bow at the right times, it increases. Regardless or not if you do it because you want to, or because you need to.

Actively studying the Roman Gods - or just Roman history - will increase your Sinful meter. Whether you believe in the olden gods or not. Because Church doctrine commands you not to do so, and anything against their dogma is marked as sin.

You will have the chance to learn a bit more about this world’s Templars if you choose to go to the Harbor but essentially, there are many orders scattered throughout Church land. They each have their own set of rules and different traditions, and may even call themselves by different names. But they are all united under the absolute rule of the Vatican. Of the Pope.

The ones who are currently in Tarragona belong to the Order of God, with their headquarters in Tomar.

Yes. I thought it would be obvious since the Prologue has for its main stars an ancient abomination and an unnatural flood that is drowning a whole city in just a matter of minutes, but I think I will put a disclaimer on the finished game nonetheless.

Just to make sure no one comes into this story expecting a realistic experience of life in the Iberian Peninsula in the 12th century. I don’t want to be tied by real names and set dates. Nor do I want to have to double or triple check every time I write any sort of world-building.

There are pirates in this game - something that only really came to exist in its glory around the 14th century. There are sirens, there is a witch who comes from a land that Europe wouldn’t even be aware of before the 15th century - when a Portuguese boat arrived in Japan by accident.

The Theers, as far as I know, did not exist. The White Company did not exist. Tarragona may or may not have been an important trading city - it doesn’t matter. It is here.

So yes. Please don’t play the Rose expecting historical accuracy. But I do hope it will be realistic - not in the sense that it happened. But that it is logical within the established universe. That among the monsters and the Eyes and the falls from ancient aqueducts, you never think “this doesn’t make sense.” That’s my goal, to build a coherent universe on the bones of real History.

And hide it you should. :eyes:

29 Likes

I know there is song dedicated to siren

Aha… i always want to meet a witch and ask her whether or not she really float on water

I am innocent :no_mouth:

5 Likes

I love this WIP so much. One of the best on this site imo.

7 Likes

Where can I find more info on this?

@King2 In the 1st post on this thread?

4 Likes

That was a fun game! I like Hadrian alot :kissing_heart:
cant wait for more :slight_smile:

Will there be a scene where you get to kiss Hadrian? he keeps turning me away :frowning:

6 Likes

Got to say, this was AMAZING!!! Seriously this seems to be beautifully written and I love the story so far. Keep up the awesome work…

4 Likes

I think if he kissed you, or vice versa, he would explode, implode, freeze and melt all at once. I mean, he almost lost his hand there! :wink:

So, no, not yet. :relaxed:

1 Like

Interesting plot and the church supremacy setting was well done. But what stole the show for me was Alessa, both character and romance wise. I kinda made me wish for actual romance like that. Looking forward for the next update. Happy writing.

13 Likes

Agreed. Her romance is very well made

4 Likes

I just want to say that I absolutely adore your writing! Your descriptions are beautiful and poetic and just makes you want to keep reading more and more.

This story has everything I love, especially the historical/ scholastic themes! I also really love that you made it so that you don’t have to agree to everything the RO’s say to be able to romance them. It gives them so much more depth and allows the character of your MC to really be developed, which is something I really love seeing more in these kinds of games/stories.

I’m wondering if you were planning on giving a choice for a trans mc? because that would be so cool to have!

I did get really sad reading the descriptions of eye colours you can choose from, because they all were short lines of gorgeous poetry, but brown eyes just got the short end in the description. Your initial description made me picture really dry cracked dirt that got too much water on it and it disintegrated into lumpy mud.

Maybe you could change/ have more descriptions kind of like these: eyes of depth and warmth, looking like polished wood glowing in candlelight; rich and soothing, like soil after fresh rain, promising life; dark eyes, almost akin to a void, taking in everything and holding it close; swirling forest shadows reflecting in smoky, whiskey-like eyes.

I can’t wait to read more! It’s going to be all I think about for the next decade :relaxed:

16 Likes

Thank you so much for your words! I’m glad you liked it! I was never a fan myself, of the trend that has you having to agree with everything a character thinks in order to befriend or grow close to them. I believe relationships, whether romantic or platonic, are formed in spite of our differences, not because we’re all twins of each other.

So yes, you absolutely won’t have to agree with every little moral and thought that comes to the ROs’ minds in order to romance them. Just as they won’t agree with you on many things, I’m sure.

There are, however, fundamental differences that may prove to be too deep for romance or friendship. Crucial acts, like killing Garrett or threatening Alessa, that will lock you out of paths. But those are significant and far between.

Unfortunately, I don’t plan to have an explicit choice for the MC to be trans, no.

Omg :rofl: I actually don’t remember what description I’ve used for the brown eye color, but I can promise that I’ll re-read it and see if I agree with you or not. If so, I’ll try to write a better one :blush:

In what scene did Hadrian turn you away? :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

Apologies if it’s already been answered, but are there RO options besides Hadrian and Alessa?

There will probably be more ROs later in the game(going off what’s been said before), but Hadrian and Alessa are currently the only confirmed ROs at this point in the demo. I imagine as they’re introduced, we’ll find out who they are.

3 Likes