The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

Update :confetti_ball:

Hello! I know times are hard and dark these days, but hopefully, I bring some good news! :heartpulse:

This update contains:

• Fixed bugs and spelling mistakes. As well as expanded on some previous interactions.

• Added an extra opportunity to start the same-sex versions of both Hadrian and Alessa’s romance.

• Added the option to admit guilt to Alessa in Chapter 1.

• Rewrote the interactions with the strangers in the tavern and well as during breakfast.

• Add an option to politely, but firmly, refuse the drink of the tavern stranger.

• Add an option to tell Hadrian and Alessa about the Eye.

• Added half of Chapter 4

Word Count (excluding code): 494k
Average playthrough length: 81k
Link

DO NOT USE OLD SAVES - you will either get game-breaking bug or miss on a lot of content. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. :pensive:

Regarding feedback, I could really use your help in a couple of things:

• As always, I would really appreciate being told of any spelling mistakes, typos , incorrect wording, etc that you may find. Preferable with a screenshot.

• Also, any big walls of text , or sentences sticking together when they shouldn’t. That means I’ve forgotten to put a line_break or page_break somewhere!

• Continuity errors spotting would also help me a lot! I’ve playtested many times, but those can - and often will - slip through the cracks. So if a character you’re romancing suddenly acts cold towards you, or you find yourself carrying a weapon you choose not to bring along, or a character is pronounced dead when they really shouldn’t be - please tell me!

Those errors are the hardest to find but ironically, the easiest to fix.

I’d also love to share a piece I commissioned of the incredible Sarah, here is Ysabella! A character you meet (or remeet) in this update.

I think that is all. Again, I cannot thank you enough if you decide to take the time to play through the demo and provide me some feedback. Every comment helps me improve my game.

I hope you enjoy the update! :rose:

Tumblr | Discord | Ko-Fi

102 Likes

incoherent screaming

14 Likes

Topic title says 1st of AUGUST, 2020. It is April, my friend.

10 Likes

Happy April fools i guess :eyes::joy::thinking:

10 Likes

I’m wayyyyy ahead :smile: (Thank you omg)

:eyes:
No, it’s a complete coincidence! I forgot today is April’s fool entirely :sweat_smile: This isn’t a fake update, swear!

26 Likes

I’m screaming!!! Thank Ana!! Thi is is such a gift, I’ve been waiting for this update! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
The art is wonderful!! :flushed:

2 Likes

So many updates today, how nice! Almost too nice to believe since it’s April’s Fools day
:joy::joy: Thanks for the update!

7 Likes

1 Like

Little error on the stats when dealing with Ysabella

Summary

1 Like

Hey um, I tried clicking both your old link and the link on your recent post but it just doesn’t load for me. It didn’t load on both my phone and computer.

It loads for me @Zeroken09 – you might want to try again or refresh your browser cache.

Thanks, I think I just had to wait a little bit for it to work and it’s good now. :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

The update seems to have been making the demo load rather slowly from my end (or maybe something else is happening). :sweat_smile: Going to try it out more in full later.

But I managed to get far enough to piss off the guards and win the admiration of a little girl who stole my carrot. So say it’s been a fun read.

4 Likes

So first of all, general feedback: This game is amazing. The writing is beautiful, the characters feel real and the plot is deeply intriguing. I cannot put into words how much I love the Rose.

As for the update: The thing that jumped out at me most was the dialogue. It was genuinely fantastic - my sarcastic MC got to be the star of every scene she was in. But beyond that we got a lot of character interaction and I adored it. I never felt like I was interrogating anyone (something that I know can easily happen when especially new characters reveal information) and there was no point where any sentence was not perfectly believable. There was no doubt every statement was something this person would say at this moment in this way. It flowed incredibly naturally.

I was also very happy with the way the “big” three scenes came together. I played Devil’s Bridge -> Cathedral -> Market and I never got the feeling this was not an “intended order”. The pacing was natural despite the game having to account for shuffled orders.

And the writing was great. I thought of copy-pasting my favourite scenes here but it would have taken me too long. Instead I’ll post a single sentence that really made me feel like the story was being narrated by the MC I was playing. While also setting the mood perfectly:

“The day is bright, your smile is wide, and you’ve just stepped on holy ground.”

Typos/Minor Things

rose6 rose8

Minor Things that might have been on purpose

rose0.4

8 Likes

Is it me, or have the loading times become longer after the update? It takes quite a while to load the game on Dashingdon now and just as long to reload a saved game.

Dashindon’s servers are experiencing slowdown … this will be experienced with every dashingdon’s hosted game/WiP.

He is working on fixing the issues.

30 Likes

Okay, thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

This happened to me with another game and I was confused as I thought it was on my end but then with every other website my connection seemed solid. So yes thanks for telling us :slight_smile:

Alessa has me going
love

16 Likes