The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but Hadrian and Alessa give me serious Morrigan / Alistair vibes. Like, I’m reading all of Alessa’s dialogue in Claudia Black’s voice.

26 Likes

Thank you so much for putting out this demo! It’s a very enjoyable read, Alessa and Hadrian are written so well and I can’t wait to get know them even more as the story progresses. I also enjoyed how many ways you’ve put in for us to influence MC’s personality and the impact of their decisions. I can’t wait for the next update and wish you good luck in your writing process!

9 Likes

Ooh that’s a plus for me :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s been a while since i actually enjoyed romance in a WIP or a book. I actually liked this one more that i thought i would. I love it when interacting with ROs makes me feel me, and makes me feel things. I loved their responses and the unity and maturity that they had even if their problems was with each other.
Thank you for this. :relaxed:

16 Likes

Billy is the best character. He’s my spirit animal and I love him.

10 Likes

@Kess @Zeroken09 Thank you so much for your words! I’m very glad you enjoyed the demo so far :blush:

I don’t know what is says about you if Billy is your spirit animal :smile: But I’m happy you like him!

Regarding the game, progress has been steady! I’ve written 4 out of the 5 big branches for the next update, and after that, it should be smooth sailing to the point I want to reach!! :tada:

I’ve just counted how many choices I wrote in the Cathedral path alone and it amounted to 64… :sweat_smile:

Lastly, I’d love to share this AMAZING fanart of Alessa. The artist can be found here: Tumblr | Instagram

Doesn’t she look amazing? :triumph: Lesly drew more pieces for the Rose! When I have the time I’ll update the fanart section in the main post, for there is a lot of new art to be shared!.

Edit: Actually, let me just share one more. Here is her MC, Jóhanna and Billy! :black_heart:

81 Likes

Are you talking about Alessa or the MC? Nothing wrong with a tomboy. Besides, I disagree. She may have a few masculine traits (and clothing) but she definitly looks like a woman to me, a strong one at that.

22 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with that, in any case this is just someone else’s interpretation of her so it shouldn’t matter if it bothers you so much.

13 Likes

I love this! Keep up the good work! I’m seriously a fan!

3 Likes

Awesome concept and plot. I can’t wait for more. Kudos author.

1 Like

Not gonna lie my sister and I were sceptical about this WiP at first but boy were we wrong. The romance and the adventure so far has been amazing as hell! We demand more! We really want this to be published, it has great potential to rival the top Choice of Games game ever!

12 Likes

Are you able to tell us more about the options for alternate religions? Does, for example, Islam exist in this alternate universe?

2 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed medieval fantasy stories. Haven’t read the full WIP but it looks interesting so far.

1 Like

@Anathema will there be some kind of ending where we get to have some kind of land for us, like become some lord? it will be a interesting path like Berserker where griffith try to use his band of mercenary to make a new kingdom & become a king .

3 Likes

Also, what is the “origins” stat for?

I think that’s the stat for our MC’s origin which we will be able to choose at some point in the future.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expect any sort of comments to be made about the endings to be honest! Any information would be a spoiler for sure.

4 Likes

I didn’t know what I expected when I started playing the demo but… I certainly wasn’t planning on getting so attached to the characters. Now I won’t ever be able to go with that sarcastic, brutal MC I intended on. :sweat_smile: :rofl:

On another note, I really appreciate how many small romantic moments or flirty ones you have sprinkled throughout this demo. For the majority of these interactive games I find that you don’t get that many interactions together with your RO before you have to explicitly state that you’re an item. And even then, the following scenes can be scarce I want to squeal goshdarnit :see_no_evil: :heartbeat:

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely piece with us. Your sister’s art is lovely as well! Kudos to you both!! :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Dipped in rose gold, this is by far one of the most triumphant undertakings I’ve had the pleasure to witness upon this site. With an MC who dons the heavy, (and heavily gilded), mask of an flirt with an easy and ever-ready laugh spending what little introvert energy they have masquerading as an extrovert, who only cries in their own company, behind closed doors and closed eyes, MC feels both alive and mine.

However did you strike such a magical and strikingly important balance, @Anathema?

There is an erudite nature and natural talent at work and play here which has crafted such intrinsic dialogue, such characters for whom we may have both instantaneous empathy and sympathy, and yet we’re still within early days of this scape and journey. I have already found Hadrian to be the most precious human wall. (Good for shielding, better for climbing.)

And further still you gave us, Billy.

The most precious gift of all.

I’ve had a thought.

About a thot.

That which I call a rosemy MC. (By any other name would smell as sweet.)

If MC were as a ship who docks/is docked for the brief time they are in port, a free-loving being who both attracts and seeks out attractive company whenever they pass through civilization, then would not our lovely companions be all too aware to beware this thief of hearts and beds? Yet are all too eager to believe a dedicated flirt to be genuine and true?

15 Likes

I am… terribly late. I’m sorry for the late reply!

Thank you so much! Your words mean a lot, I’m glad both you and your sister enjoyed the demo! I have siblings of my own and sharing interests with them is literally one of my favorite things in the world :smile:

Just a question, what made you skeptical? Was it the name? I’ve had people tell me the name turned them off, somehow.

Hmm. Islam may exist in the world, but The Rose will be focused on a very specific part of Europe - southern Europe - so it will probably not be mentioned. The moors will not have invaded the Iberian Peninsula as they did in our time.

I can’t say for sure, but so far as I have planned, all “alternate religion” mentions will be about the Roman Gods.

As @jmh as said, endings and all they entail are indeed big spoilers! :blush:

It is for the MC background! It’s still not on the demo.

@Quaintrelle I always found it a pleasure to read your posts here on this forum, so let me say it’s with shock but also great delight that I read yours in this little thread of mine.

And yes, I may try to track how the companions react to a very flirty MC. One who doesn’t hesitate to explore and be explored in return. The last romance scenes on the demo are not, in any way, commitment scenes. There is still some way to go before either you or them are ready to commit. In other words, the “courting” part of the romance is still far from over.

So going forward, yes. If you… as you so eloquently put it, are akin to a free ship who knows no master, they may start to question the validity of your honeyed words.

Writing is still going! Today I wrote a lot for the Devil’s Bridge path. It’s still not over, it keeps growing, but I am very happy with what I have so far! (◠‿◠✿)

Tarragona is slowly but surely, stone by stone, word by word, growing on paper into the living, breathing city I have stuck in my head.

Chapter 4 will be the most branching chapter of book one, and probably the largest one too. So I’m forcing myself not to rush, no matter how much I wish to update, and take my time.

Thank you again, everyone who commented and left a like! :black_heart:

43 Likes