The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

I had fun time reading your demo and thought to point one thing out before it gets published.
I hope you don’t mind ^^;;
The Sinful and Pious system keeps nagging at me.
This is ‘Roman religion’ vs ‘Catholic religion’, am I right?
I think the system should sound neutral and in this case more specific since MC’s overall attitude and the implied past background makes it look all the more confusing.

Wish you good health and luck with your CoG!

5 Likes

I think the answer your are looking is here. It has more to do with the status quo, following an pagan religion is definitely considered sinful in this univerve status quo. Im curious as well about our past and how this meter will affect the story. I have some hunches about our character past:

The hand has something with it, maybe an not pleasant encounter with some inquisitor? Maybe even an trial by ordeal? “Hold an red hot iron to prove your innocence”

5 Likes

I understood that as well, but I’m afraid that wasn’t the point I was getting at.
What I meant to say that even if the status quo is as it is, I don’t think it is ideal to be like that in the system page when its exclusive content are meant for eyes outside the story.
For example, Roman/Catholic or Old belief/New belief…anything objective, really.

To me, seeing biased word as ‘sinful’ in the system status bar is completely different from seeing it implied on the text; a difference between hearing a promise from getting a promise on contract paper.
The text and the system are both from Anathema of course, but system is Anathema.
I thought it was fair to say that the words were too subjective and frankly biased if it could affect me as much as the story.

4 Likes

This feedback is (in my opinion) applicable to every system descriptor ever used and thus applicable to “anything” ever deployed in a game.

“Sinful” in any game should always be looked at in the context of the narrative – the context of “The Golden Rose” is a very strong relation to the historical real life Portuguese/Brazilian religious traditions.

Either you buy into the hook as it is deployed, or you don’t, as a reader. I think as you explain in your post that because it:

this particular hook failed you.

There is no “objectivity” when we are discussing fiction in games and narratives both; only buy in and acceptance.

Since “sinful” is a hook that failed you as a reader, can you suggest an alternative that @Anathema can use as a substitute, keeping in mind the background and world-building of the narrative (and game) has deep roots in the religious traditions stated above and that this is central to both the game and narrative as written and most likely can not be changed?

18 Likes

Congratulations looking forward to its full proper release

5 Likes

Thank you for clarifying, I wasn’t sure what you meant the first time. And I can certainly see what you mean. The word Sin has, after all, a negative connotation to it, and it can certainly influence readers to play a certain way.

Or courage others to play another.

But I couldn’t simply replace it for Roman/Catholic as you suggested. Because it isn’t measuring that. A skeptic MC, or even one who doubts too much, is just as sinful as one who believes Juturna to be more than a simple statue. It measures your adherence - in both thoughts and actions - to the status quo.

Of course, the MC being who they are - a mercenary on the hunt for forbidden treasure, speaking a language that is deemed to be non-existent. Of course, you’re already committing sin in the eyes of the Church. One of the highest ones, to be honest. You begin the game on the wrong side of the law, there is no denying that. But the MC can still try to be as Pious as their position allows.

And honestly, that’s half of the fun when I’m writing a Pious MC. Their mental gymnastics around reality and idealizations. The hard separation they have to make between God and the Church. Between others and themselves. It’s going to be very fun to explore, especially as the series moves forward.

But, that’s what the stats are tracking. The world and culture cannot be separated from faith, because it invades every aspect of people’s lives. And, as it stands, there is only one faith. Only one God. One who deems you either to be worthy or not.

Whether the MC acknowledges it or prefers to ignore it, whenever they go against the Holy Church, they do think they are committing sin.

So, their Sinful bar increases.

48 Likes

I like it a lot!!! I had a fun idea where there was an option from if we meet Garrett again to train him, like a squire but without formal titles since we aren’t a knight. Or arrange dealings with our company with another, for instance Yasabel and Alain’s family. Or the guard and our company or the church so forth and so forth. But it’s still awesome and probably doesn’t need any help from me.

2 Likes

I mean I don’t we’re high enough on the totem pole to make deals with anyone for the company especially nobles and the church, but I feel like Garrett will show his face again.

1 Like

The girl, forgot her name, could.

2 Likes

I personally have no issue with the current stat bar, but you description sounds to me like heretic would be a better fitting word to describe what you’re trying for than sinful. Especially if you’re modelling after the catholic church. Being sinful wasn’t such a bad thing in their eyes if you performed proper penance, however being a heretic got you burned at the stake. Also, many people pronounced heretics were not against God, but what they believed was a corrupt/or simply mistaken church. And Sheep would be a good vs. since they are used extensively in the bible to describe people, and can still be used today as a way to describe people who do as their told without questioning why.

As an added bonus, both have a negative connotation, so it doesn’t encourage or discouraged behavior either way.

10 Likes

Sinful because they don’t believe in church? This isn’t going to be comfortable for other religion believers and atheists.

In means sinful from the perspective of the society you are in. I’m an atheist and have no issue with it (although I agree that heretic might fit better in places).

11 Likes

Same. I am not religious, but in the time frame in which the story is set…folks WOULD treat you (openly) as “sinful” if you behaved in ways that wouldnt agree with the church. It suuuuucks, but it was that way for a very long time.

7 Likes

Thank you for replying in such detail.
I can see that this display of belief matters to you.
Respect that completely and won’t push the subject further after this comment.

Since my prior suggestions failed you, I will make one more suggestions as @Eiwynn suggested.
How about if it is shown in the relation section?
It is relationship between the deities so it wouldn’t be so out of place.
Having few texts of its own should be self-explanatory and serve your purpose.

Lastly, I hope you don’t mind if I explain why I said this was all the more confusing since it seems my first comment needed much clarifying.
I said this because we see PTSD triggers from MC. Coercive life didn’t change a bit and to be pious of something related to one’s PTSD is hard to conceive. Because MC is mentally ill. Out of fear, out of pious mind, or simply just to please Hadrian when he’s there? Could we even draw a fine line between the first two in MC’s shoes?

Perhaps my definition of pious is too broad but in my opinion MC is, and will always be pious until definite change comes.‘Living in a way that shows this belief’ because MC is living in a time where you either take it or die as heretic. This was the reason why I said the choice of words nagged at me.

1 Like

I personally don’t see how the Sinful/Pious should be under Relationships. I think that would confuse people more than anything. Also, claiming that all MCs are Pious… I don’t see that either. Some MCs can reject everything religious outright, without any ambiguity. They may not be able to talk about it openly, but that doesn’t make them any more Pious.

In summary, I believe the Sinful/Pious stat is perfectly fine as it is. Of course, the author has the final say, just sharing my thoughts!

5 Likes

Relationship to dominant society/culture/religion, maybe? ”How people perceive you” (or how you see them) or something? I could see that making sense, but maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

How people perceive you is also any of the other stats, though. Also, Pious/Sinful in particular is NOT, in many occasions, how people perceive you, precisely because MC cannot be completely open with their beliefs.

6 Likes

I just want to point out that the Sinful/Pious are listed under the Personality bar. I don’t recall many instances where others noticed MCs attitude (if there are any). That stat is, as far as I know, mostly responsible for flavour text and internal monologue. Of course, it might change later, but right now the stat has nothing to do with relationships.

It is raised by:
  • MCs internal monologue,
  • what they find interesting or what fascinates them (if MC thinks that the Devil’s Bridge is an exciting sight or if they merely observe that it’s a marvellous building their Sinful stat raises),
  • some of their actions (like keeping Juturna’s coin, closer examination of Nero’s gauntlet),
  • or even the fact that they feel apprehension when gazing upon the signs of Church authority, like the cathedral.

Praying, being frightened by things not approved by the Church, approving of some customs, decreases Sinful stat instead.
Note that the fact MC knows Latin, which is (if I understand correctly) forbidden, doesn’t affect the stat.
IIRC it never changes based on other people opinions or actions. MC is travelling with pious ex-Templar and someone who is clearly very much against the Church. Does it influence the stat? No. Does it influence the relationship with them? No, at least for now. Personally, I’m fine with it.

It might be less controversial to simply replace Sinful with Heretical or even Blasphemous, but the end result for the player will be the same. The MC might be roleplayed as someone who:

• thinks outside the box and is entirely too curious for the Church taste;
  • would embrace pagan religion if it was possible;
  • is what today we call an atheist.

All three attitudes are sure to get MC in trouble with the Church, regardless of how their judges will call it during the legal proceedings against the MC. :wink:

TLDR: I’m fine with the Sinful name as well as changing it to Heretical/Blasphemous. I also don’t think that Sinful/Pious should be put under Relationships bar. It might be very confusing for the player. Imagine all those people who want to have a high relationship with Hadrian and as a result are afraid to even look at the aqueduct, just in case it messes with their relationship stats. :wink:

11 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and suggestions! But, ultimately, I think the stats are just fine as they are and I will not change them :slightly_smiling_face:

62 Likes

I have two questions that (hopefully) you don’t mind answering.

It’s the established the MC can read Latin, but are they able to write Latin as well?

This may be delving too much into spoiler territory, so I understand if you can’t answer. My next question is, Latin, it being a forbidden language in your world. Was the MC self-taught or did they learn from someone?

2 Likes