The Golden Rose: Book One by Ana Ventura

Might be related to the goddess(?)

1 Like

Congrats! Liked the demo (the old one, I decided not to look at new one - would like to read the full book as a new from the start). This game is one of a few that I really looking forward)

Thanks for the world you created and shared with us!

4 Likes

Your hand itches because you killed Garrett, so if you didn’t kill him, at this instance, it wouldn’t be itching.

But yes, killing Garrett as I tried to show while describing the scene wasn’t a completely conscious decision on the Mcs part - though it was on the reader’s part, of course.

But none of that text says the Mc is feeling guilty, but they are worried about the hand, and that’s spoiler territory.

28 Likes

I wanted to try killing Garrett, but the option is blocked. Why?

1 Like

You have to be merciless with the other bandits. Killing all of them when you have the chance, in other words. I don’t remember if there were any other stat requirements, but when I peeked at the code once, that’s what led to making the option available.

8 Likes

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it’s release. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

This story is just wonderful and beautifully written. Can’t wait to see what happens! I love both the main npcs, which is a rarity for these kind of stories. They’re both deeply flawed, believable characters. Yet are eminently likeable despite, or maybe due to, their failings. The romance between Hadrian and the MC is perfect! Just perfect! I found myself with a big silly grin on my face, on several occasions. Another thing that stood out, was that the MC felt real. The choices given made it as if I had real control of his personality and in the end I didn’t need to think about the choices, it just became the natural choice. What’s even better, is that there were often 2 or 3 choices that all felt natural for my MC and it became the immediate circumstances, or imagined mental state, that determined my choice. I felt as if the MC had real feelings and motives. In fact, after a while, the empathy built so much, that I it felt as if I were the MC! As for the dialogue… just wonderful! Real depth, with few words, a sense of realistic interaction, as opposed to telling each other the plot and the humour is brilliant! I literally laughed out loud, on numerous occasions! :slight_smile: The world building and description is enough to add real depth and flavour, without ever stalling the narrative drive. I think you get the picture, lol. Suffice it to say you have a fan who’s looking forward to being a paying customer, as it’ll mean that the book is complete. Good luck with the rest of the writing. Evein though you obviously don’t need it. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t think you get the itchy hand from killing Garrett per se. I’d thought it could be for killing anyone but then realised that I’d only killed Will, the bandit leader and no one else. I’d deliberately not killed the farmer bandits. More importantly, I realised that the itch was there before I’d even met the bandits. My personal theory is that it’s either something that predates the story, that we know, or it’s something to do with the strange gauntlet that we found in the ‘tombs’.

1 Like

So excited for this story. I can’t wait to see just what I’ve got hidden under that frayed glove.

I think my favorite part of @Anathema writing is the conversations. I generally don’t like “talky” books as much, but the talks are very well done here and really make the characters feel real. It certainly helps that every time I have to choose a response there is at least one response that is exactly what my character wants to say.

16 Likes

Is there a more complete demo or a way to pay for early access?

1 Like

Gooooooosh I am so flippin hyped for this game.

5 Likes

I have been looking forward to the release honestly i thought this was abandoned but thank the maker its submitted. I’m excited and gonna buy this

8 Likes

When Hosted Games decides it will, most likely.

1 Like

There is none! The game will, hopefully, be available for all to buy once it’s published!

I could never abandon the Rose. Unless something terrible happens to me, I’m finishing this story.

No idea. As of now, I’m still waiting for a reply to my submission email.

42 Likes

I really can’t wait for the full release I want to buy it so bad

18 Likes

Time to sit (im)patiently and wait for the release…

How hard can that be…

15 Likes

10 years later

9 Likes

Well…

longtime-titanic

Ahem. I’ll see myself out.

15 Likes

Well, hopefully, it won’t be that much time, since I just heard back from Hosted Games!

And The Golden Rose’s submission has officially been received! :partying_face: I’ll admit, I was growing a tiny bit worried about the lack of a reply, thinking that maybe I messed up the submission in some way, so I almost squealed when I saw the email notification. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Next, the game is being sent to Content Review. I reckon this is when they read the Rose and send me back their review along with anything I need to alter - which I hope won’t be too much! This is the first time any of my work will be professionally reviewed and it is intimidating! But a part of me is also really curious about what they’re going to say. Is my work worth publishing? Isn’t that the golden question?

There is a bit of a queue, however - which is great, it means a lot of games are coming out! - and the Rose is quite a big game (one million and two hundred thousand words long) so I expect this process will take a while.

In the meanwhile, they send me some supplementary documents to read and a list of assets they need from me before publication. I’ll read everything carefully tomorrow, but I expect to start working on the outline for Book 2 on Monday. The writing itch has been increasingly harder to ignore. I’ve been doing so much reading lately, it makes me want to grab a pen even more!

So that is all! One more step forward. Patience truly is a virtue, one that I have always struggled with, so of course, life decided to put me to the test once more xD

Have a great rest of the week! :rose:

183 Likes

Oh wow, one million words, that’s quite a feat! and difinitely worth the wait. I’m glad to see that it’s finished and I’m really looking forward to the complete book :heart_eyes: I absolutely loved the demo and excited for more.
Congrats!

7 Likes