The Funny Thread

Control, Home, End and Escape are all keys on a keyboard.

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better, but it dies in the process.See what I did there was use the frog as an analogy to show that exposing the inner workings of a joke would essentially deprive it of its life in that it’s not funny anymore. I’m drawing a parallel (and so is E. B. White) to how you basically kill a frog when dissecting it to better understand the functioning of its inner body parts, since there is now little left in the joke to laugh at

take a backspace there; you are amazing for doing that AND I didn’t pick it up! incredible!

Sometimes you just need a pause/break from all the stresses of life. :wink:

delete that, there is no escape from the stresses of life coz of all the DRAMA!!!

Let’s see, jokes… There’s always the nice cringe worthy one about Nino and his ex, Estelle.

Nino and Estelle had been together a while when Estelle had to go on a business trip. Nino wished her a safe trip, then as he closed the door he let out a short cry of joy and sunk into the couch relieved to have the house to himself. On the second day away from home, Estelle called home asking how things were.
“Not so great, Estelle,” he replied, “your cat died.”
“What?! The cat died?! Why would you tell me that?”
“Well, he was walking on the roof and fell off, I thought you’d want to know.”
“You can’t give bad news to people that way, Nino,” she said, “You’ve got to ease them in. Maybe call me on the first day and say the cat’s on the roof, I can’t get him down. Then on the second day, say he’s looking unsteady, and on the fourth day say he fell but might make it. I’m the fifth day, tell me ‘I hate to tell you, but he didn’t make it’. At least then I’d be prepared for the worst.”
“Okay, okay, I’m sorry, Estelle. I’ll keep that in mind. Try to enjoy the rest of your trip, okay?” he said as he hung up the phone.
On the third day, she called back and asked how things are going.
“Not so great, Estelle,” he replied, “your mother’s on the roof.”

These Fyre Festival tweets are gold.

This is extremely NSFW

I was going to save this one for Chirstmas, but then I thought ‘ah, what the heck? Let’s let the people of the Choice of Games forum question my odd sense of humor :grinning:’.

This is the kind of quality content I expect my fellow forum users to notify me about.

Thanks for the laugh.

funny fact:
School filtered all things under dragons and wallpaper, right, and I found this up when trying to search myself up on google I was quite surprised that I saw that it was filtered. So then I decided to look up DZ wallpaper and guess what; a sh*t ton of dragon wallpaper appeared underneath leaving me thinking “God, for once Goku is helping me instead of annoying my *ss off” and from then on, I have used anime’s in order to find the wallpaper I want to look at and I have become well versed in the anime and manga world!
(True story!)

Subtle

Hey, any of you guise miss me? No?

Soooo this got accepted for publishing in not one, but four academic journals the other day. See if you can pick what was missed by the reviewers here. (Hint: you don’t require any scientific knowledge). It’s either very amusing, concerning or perhaps some of both? (Yes this is a link to one of the journals that actually published it.)
http://medcraveonline.com/IJMBOA/IJMBOA-02-00029.pdf

If you want the author’s explanation as to what’s going on, it’s here:

Wow that is awesome bit of fun writing and so disappointing that these publisher’s have such poor qualify and judgement to publish it.

Lol, what an amusing read! And the fact that scientific journals actually published it makes it even funnier. It’s like the scientific and nerdier cousin of Travis Tea’s Atlanta Nights, except that I can actually understand it!

Ok here’s the thing, the “journals” the paper is published in aren’t journals at all. They are predatory journals, open access journals that trick authors by making them pay a publishing fee without providing them the peer review process. We scientists try to avoid those sites.

I realise they’re Predatory Journals (it says as much in the second link), but the thing is, not everyone would know that if they happen to be searching and come across a “peer reviewed journal” which traditionally should have meant the information is better than what you’d find on a random website Classic case of being extra careful with your sources. (There’s a reason why it’s recommended to publish in T1 and T2 level journals, but outside of the research community, how many people really know what that means, or would know how to check if they just needed a bit of info for something.)

And it’s further complicated by the variability in the peer review process even by journals that are considered “predatory”. Some accepted it, some didn’t, some told them to resubmit with a few changes, showing quite a bit of variability in standards. 3 out of 4 published this article WITHOUT requiring a fee to do so, which kind of flies in the face of what most predatory journals do.

Of the paid ones, although some have no quality control, some are also probably trying to extort money out of scientists who need some extra articles published. The information in these may or may not be ok. Perhaps someone is trying to get information published considered inconsequential for most, or it’s a case study, or it’s not brilliantly written or any number of other things that may make it difficult to get published. And although nothing anywhere this bad, but I’ve seen some less than ideal procedures, bias etc used in articles published in better journals. Anyway, I still think the article is amusing, and a potential cause of concern :slight_smile:

One of my biggest weaknesses for distractions- corgis.

I’ll take your word for it