An Absinthian Ballad (Mini-Update 29.07.18)

@Locria I noticed that Edmund’s relationship bar increases more when you run away. Are those the actions that increase his relationship bar?
Other than that, I feel that I have really warmed towards Oskar (I’m normally not a fan of tsunderes, but Oskar seems like the exception). Can’t wait to meet Valentin and ???!

looks at list of achievements only consisting of bad ends

reads actual names of said achievements

So @locria, on scale from horror to romance, where would this game lie atm? xD

But seriously the list does make the game seem a lot darker for all routes, than it might be, since you did say that about 10 of the bad ends are on ??? and Lothar’s routes, and since ??? is not mentioned as a potential suitor, the other RO’s will seem like they have far more bad ends, than they actually will have.

Also from all you’ve said, you did kind of warn us about Lothar’s route, and how much darker it could be, but oh boy that is one big bag of (potentially very possessive) crazy our MC’s going to be subjected to. ^^

Hmm I have to admit, I’m not terribly fond of Edmund right now. The way he behaved was borderline… creepy. My MC could not run away faster :laughing:.

But it was a short scene so it was just a glimpse into his character. Maybe he’ll surprise me further on. Who knows?

Yeah, I think this may be a horror game masked as a romance one xD I’m honestly super analyzing every choice I make now just in case a crazed man wielding a knife jumps out of a closet lol tho let’s be honest the crazed maniac would probably be Lothar.

Also is it just me or was the alley scene updated? The murderer didn’t use to say “my beautiful girl” or something, right? I think, in light of this, that he may well be our mysterious ???.

6 Likes

Yes it is updated. Also I don’t remember the part where it says that Oskar was sometimes nice

Well, at least he’s better than Lothar o.o

3 Likes

Nah, Oskar sometimes being nice was there before.

Who’s better? Edmund, Oskar or the alley stranger :eyes: ?

A tie between Oskar and Edmund for me :smile:

Oh Jesus Christ. As much as I wanted otherwise… I’ll settle for my second favourite, even if it’s incest. Oskar, dear cousin, let’s marry and forget everyone else!

But Lothar still calls to me dammit. I want to see Eleanor… plus he’s magic. Knowing my luck I’ll never get a good ending with him though :cry:

OP has said that it’s not incest because the blood relation falls to the 4rth cousins category where it’s no longer considered incest because our mother and his father are half siblings

2 Likes

My MC is so in love with Oskar. He is mean at times but my MC does not take any crap from him. So it is not Stockholm Syndrome when you stand up against the bully. Right?

@locria In the last scene with Oskar, I wanted to give him my doll so that he will remember my MC in military academy. Or some other parting gift (a broken heart necklace perhaps). The hug alone was not enough, I am sure my MC spent the night crying. Is there a a reason why Oskar was mean to us? I thought chivalry was still prominent during this era :grinning:

1 Like

He calls to me too. It’s probably going to end in tragedy but I think I’ll do Lothar’s route first. On the bright side, I’m going to get a few of those bittersweet achievements :sob:

A parting gift is a great idea. But the way Oskar seems to be he would probably lose it within the first week of military training :joy: or at least claim that he lost it.

4 Likes

Ah. Thank you for telling me. Honestly, that’s still incest to me - in my family we’re all close to each other even if we’re very distantly related… but that kind of closeness would be unacceptable.
However, knowing that the MC and Oskar are not closely blood related has me relieved.

Lolol got about 1000 words in the next scene before I decided it didn’t make any sense. There goes four hours :sob:

I’ll try again tomorrow, now that I think I have what I want in mind.

@Snowflower Kind of major spoiler for Edmund’s romance, but…in Edmund’s case, yes, resisting any of his advances do increase his relationship and are the right choices up until a certain point.

I’m not so sure you’ll want to meet ??? though. He makes everyone else look downright sane and normal and harmless lol.

@Ventura A horrific romance?? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue: Some of them are labelled as bad ends, but they’re not exactly that awful. I mean, three of them are more bitter bittersweet ends if you really think about it. But yeah, Lothar and ??? have some crazy ends. Any bad end that sounds vaguely awful probably belongs to one of them lol.

@Anathema Forgive the poor man, he was drowning his sorrows! He’s got another scene planned, because I was super dissatisfied with the amount of time I gave him, along with Valentin and Lothar. Lothar loves you too much to ever think about hurting you!

@Darkner Well, Oskar certainly has no plans on kidnapping you, so you’ll never get Stockholm Syndrome from him lol but who knows about the others lolol.

I wish I could say that Oskar has this deep reason for being so mean to you as kids, but really, it was because he liked you. Poor kid had no idea how to show it.

8 Likes

Nope! Stockholm syndrome is basically when a person is completely submissive to their captor and devoted to them, they try not to use words to trigger their wrath, always to what they say and so forth. (If you want to learn more about it you can check this video) Oskar is not a captor to consider this Stockholm syndrome, it’s just kids being mean to each other (not saying that this is acceptable mind you but most of them grow out of it when they get older.)

1 Like

I must confess, my MC would not care even if Oskar was a first cousin. Or even if he was the MC’s brother. You cannot choose who you love, and love should transcend all boundaries (Go Lannisters). :heart_eyes::grin:

Well I guess I will be carrying a knife from now…

I am falling for him more now My little teddy…

2 Likes

I second this! Or it will probably being taken away because its “weakness” or “you are now children ascending to men you must forget your old life hurr hurr” :cry:

2 Likes

Due to the running themes of some of the bad endings (end 8-11 => Doll and end 12-15 => Dove) I assume each theme belongs to Lothar and ???.
Right now I’m actually hoping that the “doll endings” are Lothars. Mostly since they, to me, all have an overall tone of “possessive, desperate love”. Whereas the “Dove” endings seem mainly about control. Also using delectable in ending 8, just make me think that the MC will literally get eaten.
In short, to me the Doll endings have a tone of the RO still thinking about the MC as a person, while the Dove ones make it sound like she’s a pet or an object. Which I’m aware is ironic in regards to using “Dove vs. Doll” as theme-names

At least the MC is able to tell him off for his behavior. And I like how his relationship score increase if you do, and the player isn’t “forced” to act nicely to him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So what’s all this talk about endings? Is it in another post or the code for the game? Just curious.:relaxed:

When you choose the Achievements tag in the demo, you’ll get to see the list of bad endings.

Will there be any happy endings?

I’m pretty sure @locria mentioned that there will be happy ending. There are just a lot of bad endings.