An Absinthian Ballad (Mini-Update 29.07.18)

I am a bit concern about the last part you mention @Ventura.

I, for one, wouldnā€™t mind a socially awkward MC but for some, they might want a more confident MC. I know having different personalities would be a lot of work.

2 Likes

Exactly. Which was why I asked what other people had experienced, to see if what options/content is available. Because while I do know it takes a lot of work to implement different personalites for the MC, from what Iā€™ve seen of locriaā€™s writing it seems like something they would want to implement. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Man, I sure hope awkwardness itā€™s not a general trait. I usually prefer to play as a charming, silver-tongued kind of character so playing as a socially awkward wallflower would be literal hell for me. I like confidence and assuredness when it comes to my MCs so hopefully, there will be implemented different personalities and reactions for us to choose from.

That is actually a big problem for me when it comes to some of these romance games you guys keep bringing up. Often times the heroine is so clueless and timid it makes me roll my eyes into another dimension.

8 Likes

Oh I definitely love a spunky confident MC at times. Whenever I get the choice I usually create MCā€™s with focus on intelligence and cunning. How socially competent I make them, differ from game to game and my mood, but when I make charming MCā€™s itā€™s usually in the way that they have the ability to charm someones socks off, but arenā€™t social peopleā€¦if that makes sense.

ā€¦in retrospect, apparently my MCā€™s can in general be summarized as ā€œmanipulative, smarta**es who tries to be good peopleā€. ^^ā€™

My degree of eyerolling (or just yelling at my screen/outright rage-quitting :P) depends a lot on how the heroineā€™s personality is handled (not taking cultural differences into account). I have an easier time with a timid MC compared to a dense and (in some cases) outright dumb MC.

:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

@lokidemon007 There were some minor conflicts around the time he enlisted, nothing major, so thatā€™s kind of how he got promoted so quickly. That, and he really knows how to play the system.

@cookiemonsta Calling him an RO is a bit of a stretch, since his route is hardly romantic at all. And :upside_down_face::upside_down_face: Iā€™m not to sure how to say it but, kinda?? not really??

@Ventura A cult? Lolol probably not, but there are plenty of them around. Itā€™s just that most of them get real messy because they start questioning ā€˜Who is the true Providence?ā€™ and ā€˜Is Providence even really our creator?ā€™ and they do a lot of weird and creepy stuff.

For good endings, there are specific builds that make it easier to get the good endings. From what I plan to do, for Valentin, Edmund, and Oskar, there are always multiple ā€˜correctā€™ choices. Thereā€™s no build that you have to play to get the good ending, but a specific build to get the bad ending.

Now, for Lothar, there are a couple choices that I plan you must choose to get his good ending, but aside from that, is very flexible. I think Iā€™ve mentioned this before, but donā€™t pay too much attention to the relationship bar. I have a variable that counts the ā€˜correctā€™ choices, and sometimes those choices lower their bar.

A hint for the ā€˜correctā€™ choices you have to know what their vices are. Choices that encourage them down their path may give a relationship boost, but will not give a counter. Sometimes the ā€˜correctā€™ choices will be counter-intuitive because they will get angry at them.

@resuri08 @Anathema For the concerns about the general personality, I think I might have accidentally let a bit of my own experiences through. From my own experiences (both myself and my peers), most of us were pretty awkward and not good with social stuff at that age. So at this time, itā€™s less of a predetermined trait, and more of a ā€˜Oh my god Iā€™m 16 and there are so many changes and everything just feels really awkward.ā€™

Sheā€™s still got a couple years to grow and change before things start to really matter :stuck_out_tongue:.

Personally though, the spunky and outspoken MCs in otome games are difficult for me to play. I much prefer the meek and reserved ones.

11 Likes

at first I assumed he was our real dad or something but oops itā€™s something else x3

Looking forward to meeting Valentin!

Hello, iā€™m a long time lurker who finally i chickened to ask something because i couldnā€™t help but be curiousā€¦ but seeing as some of the love interests seem to have a darker shade to them, would it be possible for us to play an awful/nasty person (like maybe not even awful awful but definitely not nice or caring but has a soft spot for heir love interest or some people so to say) or even just morally darker MC and still somehow find romance with one of them? Maybe even have the MC be the uhh yandere herself instead of the victim in some of the potential bad ends?

I was just very curious upon reading some of your ideas because not a lot of people let female characters be terrible people, let alone have dark romance so seeing you enjoy the dark romance aspect i couldnā€™t help but ask. (also i apologize profusely for tl;dr english is not my first language so i wanted to be clear in hope of getting what i went to say across)

4 Likes

I support this :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

I mean if theyā€™re going to be terrible to us itā€™s only fair we can be terrible right back. Plus, who doesnā€™t enjoy a purely evil playthrough once in a while? Darker MCs can be as interesting (or even more in my opinion) as dark ROs.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve finalized the endings and how to get them, so Iā€™ll put them in as achievements this weekend. So my to-do list is:

• Finish Edmundā€™s scene.
  • Introduce Valentin.
  • Edit some of the writing to reflect the changes Iā€™ve made to the story.
  • Add in achievements.
  • If possible, add in the save function.

@cookiemonsta Lol Burkhard is definitely your father, though heā€™d rather not be :stuck_out_tongue:.

@Infel @Anathema For some of the bad endings, you have to be a terrible person, and if I remember correctly, four of them require you to be a cruel person.

Iā€™m not too sure how dark you can go before getting deeper into the routes. You definitely canā€™t get as dark as some of the ROs, but yeah, you can be awful to them, either by being outright cruel, or encouraging their vices. ??? and Lothar have endings where you can encourage their craziness, not that it ends well for you.

12 Likes

Ooh yaaaay iā€™m glad to hear that, especially the encouraging their vices part. When you say that, would it be in the Bonnie and Clyde way or is it more of a manipulating to your own ends but having it end badly way if itā€™s not too much spoilers to ask?

Also would any of the love interest have a rivalmance-y type of feel to it? Like a love-hate rivalry (ala Choice of Deathlessā€™s Wakefield) or a so bad/toxic for each other but still has an obvious strong mutual love/respect thing (like a villain+hero style romance ala catherynne valenteā€™s deathlessā€™ marya morevna and koschei)?

Regardless, Iā€™m definitely looking forward to seeing your update. Itā€™s shaping up to be so good w

6 Likes

Real sick of coding since I was stuck on an assignment today for a solid two hours over something dumb, but eeked out enough to finish Edmundā€™s scene and achievements. Iā€™ve got some of Valentinā€™s scene written out, but nothing coded yet. Iā€™ll try tomorrow :pensive:

@Infel Depends on the suitor, really. I would say ??? and Lothar have the most toxic dynamics, but Valentin can easily spiral into that as well. But thereā€™s nothing else really yet. Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying it ^^

6 Likes

Curiosity where are you from and itā€™s very rare to see someone so passionate about the first Reich. Even though this is choice your adventure dating sim Iā€™m absolutely in love with game. Your world building which is slow and suble and the character development is great.

Honestly I think you could make a great game about the Ottoman Harem. If you had the background for it. I could easily see you writing about the sultanate women.

4 Likes

reads the achievements

Oh boy, buckle up for a ride full of angst and shock :cry:

2 Likes

Oh dear lord, why is there so many bad ends. ;w;

Oh man all of those bad end achievements are like :ok_hand::eyes::100: and ahh the update was nice as always w

Very interesting how Edmundā€™s relationship meter worksā€¦ I know we shouldnā€™t pay too much attention to it but still, it says something about him

From what I gather, people always go after him for his title and they donā€™t see him for who he is thus making him lonely? Iā€™m guessing that in one bad end he traps (a manipulative) Sasha cause he thinks she genuinely loves him or he kills her cause heā€™s tired of that behaviour?

2 Likes

coughs on her coffee

My dear author? Did you perhaps vent your anger towards your story? Cuz that would explain a lot of thingsā€¦

24 Likes

huk!!

8 Likes

Looking at code today is less irritating than it was yesterday, so yay, hopefully Iā€™ll get a lot done!

So Iā€™ve been testing some different builds, and I think Iā€™m going to add in another skill boost in the childhood part, in addition to the one Iā€™ve planned for the last part of the prologue, and I think I might just do an overall boost to some of them. Skills arenā€™t necessary to complete any route, but I think they will give a better variety to answers. Iā€™m also contemplating merging/removing some stats because Iā€™ve found that they have not been used very much, but that could change later on.

@Rogar That makes me so happy, thank you! I just sort of fell into this historical love while I was researching fashion when I was younger. One of the best accidents, in my opinion. I think a game about the Ottoman harem would be super cool, but Iā€™m still not too familiar to consider something like that. Maybe an Imperial Chinese harem?

@cookiemonsta The relationship bar is still a bit helpful at this time, itā€™s more that once you get deeper, itā€™s kind of meaningless.

A little bit. Heā€™s definitely super lonely, but heā€™s got a few more issues under that. Itā€™s not super apparent yet, but thereā€™s something heā€™ll value greatly from Alexandra. If I coded it right, you might be able to pick it out ^^.

@Sophia Lololol I promise I didnā€™t!! I actually held back a bit! I had 31 bad ends at first! And hey, at least Iā€™m better than Monochrome Heaven! That game had 20 bad ends! :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes