The Followers (Revived!) - Help testing chapter 3 (Updated 20/10/16)

I need to become a regular. Think I just need to dish out a few more likes so I’ll get onto that. Thanks for the update though

2 Likes

Hmm very good demo and can I beta test this?

By “people in this world” do you mean people in the real world? People in the real world interpret events as being the work of gods they already believe in, but those things don’t actually stand up to scientific scrutiny. The Gods of the game world as they’ve been portrayed, would. In order to make the believe in gods scientifically unsound you’d have to make the PC almost incapable of affecting people. Science isn’t the lack of belief in gods. It’s a belief in evidence and reason.

Think of it this way. If Braid the first believer was a modern day woman she’d appear schizophrenic on the surface, but anyone who actually paid attention to her would see that she didn’t actually display the typical symptoms. Her hallucination would be far too consistent and nuanced, and there would just be way too many coincidences around her where she’s want or predict something to happen, and it would. She’d get attention. If people started believing in her, and forming a cult around her then the deity’s power would grow, which would only make them more demonstrably real as things that were harder and harder to explain without the presence of some deity like being continued to happen. What happens when the deity starts interacting with various well respected scientists? Now what if this religion had started a long ass time ago?

@Branton
You just did :slight_smile: If you got to the end you got a beta code to keep testing chapter 3 for me and feedback you opinions, issues and errors.

Please feel free to be as aggressive as you like with errors.

@Shoelip
Wouldn’t be much of a game if I allowed you no control at all though would it :stuck_out_tongue:

There are many stories from all cultures of the spirits or gods impacting people or the world around to cause these changes. Your powers are representations of natural events though and although your causing these events to happen how do you know they will stand up to scientific scrutiny?

The story is set in a prehistoric to bronze age currently to avoid scientific interpretation of your acts at present. As it progresses you will become more distant (Single believer → Town with a few champions → Nation with rival/friendly gods and cultures → Fractured empire of beliefs → Culture spread throughout the world (in isolated pockets or hidden or as a superior belief)

Each of these steps draw you further from the world although do not prevent you from taking an active involvement if you want. The more involved you are though the less scientific progress will be made as you will be disproving the science we currently understand.

Also remember you did not create the world or the creatures in it. All you are is a force able to move things or effect the mind of things. The laws of nature are not greatly changed and investigations into space, evolution, the shape of the world would remain with true scientific answers regardless of what you do.

If you don’t like the idea of science existing in a world where there is a spirit who has powers outside of science though you can always do nothing in many of the choices :smile:

I know they’d stand up to scientific scrutiny because I know how the scientific method works. If gods exist then their existence is not contradictory to science. Humans are very good at detecting patterns. Even where none exist, so to really be undetectable by science there would have to be no discernible pattern to the PC’s actions. They’d have to, to reference Einstein, roll the dice, and decide whether to act based on the result. Basically, they’d have to be trying to avoid detection.

Or if the acts that occurred were actually outside of the spirits control and the spirit just attributed the acts to itself as they happened when it tried.

But this is looking very deeply into a world that is a hybrid of reality and fantasy barely skimming the surface of the fantasy realms that it takes from.

The idea is to allow people to evolve their religion from that of, for example, a Greek empire of God worship into a modern day world that rejects the idea of God’s all together. How would you present that from the viewpoint of a god? (It needs to be from that viewpoint as the story is structured around telling a well known tale such as that from another viewpoint and giving players control of that)

Also that is only one of many scenarios that could play out. People could start with beleivers worshiping nothing but natural forces and end as a fanatic cult sacrificing to the sun (which they believe is a natural force) or something else entirely.

If your goal with the story was to tell a tale about gods being forgotten somehow despite actually being real. I suppose I’ve got no choice but to attempt to suspend disbelief. :-\ Pseudo-science is a real pet peeve of mine though. The media constantly promotes pseudo-scientific ideas and it adversely affects people’s real understanding of science, which in turn leads to people for example getting really angry at me for trying to explain that you don’t need to constantly spend fuel to maintain an orbit. Or on a more important scale, all the crap we see in politics these days in regards to science.

I understand where your coming from. Unfortunately I have to hit a balance between entertainment and understanding in this game. Also I like shooting lightning at people.

The goal isn’t to show gods aren’t real, it’s to give people the chance to be that God and decide to fade into obscurity to science, dominate the world in blood or culture, hide away from it all or more.

5 Likes

Well the whole magic versus science thing has been done many times. I guess people like it.

But why did you bring up racism at all? It was completely out of nowhere. What does racism have to do with well documented facts accumulated by many different historians and widely accepted by every institutions that can approve it? Thats what I would like to know.

1 Like

This feels like a never ending subject. Maybe bring it up in a PM now before I lose track of the feedback people are putting in this topic.

I just dont want to talk about it anymore. We dropped it and he brought it back.

1 Like

Those vile, filth-sucking maggots! They’ll pay! They’ll rue the day they crossed paths with me!

Very good update :slight_smile: I was wondering if maybe in the future when we grow more powerful if we would be able to take the shape of a human, similar to Greek mythology gods.

2 Likes

The powers I’ve given you are kind of the extent of it for now. I think there are 10 different powers to choose from but unfortunately none of them are a human form.

In the next chapter you’ll be interacting with your followers slightly less as other spirits/gods come into play so becoming a human will become less important

1 Like

Yay!! Im so anticipating that this is going to be epic keep up the amazing work. And thank you for the information on our monument that is going to be a great plot point

This game will be big someday just you wait.

2 Likes

I really like the changes that you’ve done to the game it makes it flow much easier then before and the effect of your favourite on the monument is exquisite. Plus how you deal with the spy is great to loved obliterating him with a meteor was quite satisfying. I’ve uet to find anymore glitches or bad grammer. Keep up the amazing work

Sorry for the double post but does anyone know the combination to have the stars as the source of your power? I would like to know all i get is sun cloud and moon

I got it by helping roc then leaving aire when she got bit. Because they didnt do anything for me