THE FLOATING CITY WIP (nearly complete)

Could you add a save function,because dashingdon is a nightmare for me,and I keep having to restart.

Embarrassingly, I donā€™t know how to do that. Would I be able to send you the files directly? PM me your email?

I donā€™t feel comfortable with that, but I did find this:

Itā€™s a bit old,but Iā€™m sure it will work.

Iā€™m working on it, but so far it just breaks the game. If I manage to figure it out, Iā€™ll let you know asap.

1 Like

I really liked how the last chapter is set up with the MC choosing their future job, and how thereā€™s different results that depend on a combination of stats. I liked how thereā€™s the possibility of the friends dying, and how difficult it is to get a good ending for all the cities. It makes the disaster scenario more realistic, but still allows the player to play the active protagonist.

It did seem somewhat rushed, though, due to the pacing and the way info and characters are brought up. The line introducing Kassieā€™s death in the last chapter gets easily lost between the reports on the cities, and while there is more focus later on the MCā€™s feelings on her death, overall it seems like thereā€™s story missing. The narrative acts like the MC and player have the same knowledge, despite the MC appearing to know more in this instance.

There also seems to be an absence of character endings as well. Part of what made this story so interesting was the relationships between the characters and their businesses, yet unless the player chooses certain job options none of them are really even mentioned at all. I had Maya and Diah help me at the end, for example, but unless I chose for the MC to become a trader the story completely drops them from the narrative. It diminishes the theme of connections that had been throughout the entire game.

I also think I got a bug ā€“ I had the MC help Yunus in the evacuation, and Yunus is alive throughout chapter twelve, yet in chapter thirteen it acted as though he died too despite getting the good ending with over 70% foreknowledge.

Regarding errors, I noticed some of the ones I previously mentioned (the options showing (if legs > 1), the Dad saying he should have listened even if you never told him about Alive, etc.) are still appearing when I played through the game.

Other things I noticed

ā€œI look forwards to taking over,ā€ you say with genuine if temporary enthusiasm.
ā€œforwardsā€ should be ā€œforwardā€ here.

Sure enough, thereā€™s one chair in the whole engine room sphere, and thereā€™s a nondescript control panel in front of it.
It seems like that depending on which option you choose, the paragraph that starts with this sentence can end up incredibly long.

You glance at your own wrist-com, and it shows you the time: Itā€™s 7:00am
Add a period at the end.

because of him, you learned to see from other peopleā€™s perspective.
Capitalize ā€œbecauseā€.

My character did badly during the first trading section and at their end job, but I was still able to get the ā€œRichā€ achievement. You might want to raise the number a bit.

Hoped that helped. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thank you! Thatā€™s extremely helpful. Iā€™m so ashamed that I clearly didnā€™t fix everything last time. I remember searching for ā€˜legs > 1ā€™ last time, then not finding it and assuming Iā€™d caught it in a different edit. :flushed:

Iā€™ll get on to those errors when my brain is behaving (it could be a while).

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure it does work, and Iā€™ll eventually get it figured out. Last night I left the car door open all night soā€¦ braining goodness may take a while.

Still breaks the game after my second attempt (but in a completely different way). Iā€™ll try again again next time my brain is moderately with it.

Arg, Iā€™m sorry. Iā€™m getting errors from the twiger file, and although I tried a few things none of them worked. At this stage, it might be easier to develop my own save system but my brain is very clearly not up to that. Iā€™m so sorry. The good news is that it should be published relatively soon (due to spending so long in the production line due to my many other brain failings) so at least youā€™ll be able to play it. (But not really editā€”I try hard not to be that annoying writer who comes back after publication with 37 teensy tweaks that each have to go through the COG staff.)

1 Like