The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

So, what I’m getting from this is that I need to compile a list of people who were unkind to S in order to have them… dealt with. Got it! :sparkling_heart:

Omg, ‘“There is something wrong with your face,”’ makes me laugh every time I read it. :laughing:

Marcie’s highest personality traits are merciful and sincere, so I can confirm that S’s dynamic with a soft MC is A+. 10/10 would recommend. However, S and MCs who are snarky and reckless also have really fun interactions (also, S can really hold their own in the bold flirt options, haha).

I’d say I’m questioning your interest in a mysterious voice that seems to think that a proper first date is dropping the MC in a vivid, lifelike nightmare of a housefire, but honestly, I’m right their with you. It’ll be interesting if ??? gets something resembling a route in later books; I definitely want to know more about them beyond their cryptic, taunting words (even if taking that path would probably lead to a not so ideal outcome).

Your Bee-mancing MC’s name being Daisy is perfection! :blossom: :honeybee: :orange_heart:

@lacunafiction I’d also like to request J’s answer to that ask so we can finally have them all collected here. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

As a PC player who plays COG only on Steam I would be furious if there’s no Steam release. But I agree the chances for this are very slim fortunately :smiley:

As are we :yum:

I totally agree with you here. I like books/films/etc… that make you use your brain cells. I had a big problem with a recent HG release - I liked the plot, the characters, the stuff that happened BUT the writing style was putting me off all the time. Everything was overexplained by the author.

For example if someone shouts at you in anger there’s a lengthy explanation how that someone was so angry with you that they shouted. No subtlety, just to make sure you get what’s written here I’ll repeat it like 10 times in a pretty straightforward manner :scream_cat:
I felt like I’m 2 years old very stupid child.

Hmm, @ChiggerCat, I don’t think that’s something you should be proud about :rofl: I dropped it around season 5 or 6 and I’m usually no quitter no matter what. But I couldn’t stand it anymore. I find Fear the walking dead way more interesting. Also Z nation was great and funny.

I do it all the time when I don’t want to answer or I want to start a fight. I don’t know what S motives are though…

You’re tempting me, but I have enough snarky, bold and flirty MCs, like 100% of them.

I’m not interested in ??? in that way, I just want to see what their deal is. Simple curiosity, nothing more :smirk_cat:

4 Likes

I thought all CoG games were released on Steam these days. It’s certainly where I’ve gotten all of mine.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if all titles released under the CoG label are guaranteed Steam releases, but I believe that’s not the case for HG-released titles. Off the top of my head, as far as I’m aware, both ‘Donor’ and ‘The Gray Painter’ don’t appear to have Steam releases (or at least, they don’t have Steam pages linked on their CoG site pages). (If you look at the ‘upcoming HG releases’ thread, I think they put :steam: to indicate if a title will be available on Steam.) What determines if a title gets a Steam release or not is beyond me though. :slight_smile:

Your MCs sound so fun! :heart_eyes: But I’m the same way; even though I try to create MCs with varying personalities and such for different experiences, I do have a draw to giving my ‘main’ MCs gentler, more sincere dispositions. :smile:

4 Likes

It seems like for every Steam released HG game there’s one or two non-Steam released titles at the same date, according to this topic Upcoming Hosted Games Releases — 2022 - #4
I’m pretty sure they are shorter games.

Thank you :slight_smile: They are much similar to R and I tend to pair them with the same snarky flirtatious ROs every time there’s one. If there’s no one like that, most of the time it means I probably won’t like the game :laughing:

4 Likes

@lo6otia :slightly_frowning_face: I can’t disagree with your Walking Dead analysis. I so enjoyed the start and then the story plot turned, well, weird. Z Nation was hilarious (fear the baby zombie).

I am not sure that I could handle a ??? route. I agree with @Lambkin that the housefire nightmare was scary. I can’t say what exactly got to me, but I had chill bumps when I read it! Maybe the feeling of being trapped and the tenseness of the situation influenced this; my MC was already upset because of the setting. (She called out for her mom at the start.) I believe Daisy will stick with her sweet B (although she may have to give S a try based on Tiffy’s comments). I might even try making a new MC like lo6otia.

I noticed on the CoG upcoming list that the majority of the upcoming releases will be available on Steam. I guess we shall have to wait and see. I am not a very patient person. :grin:

4 Likes

The time has come for my most beautiful creation (aside from Book One :sparkles: ) to shine:

TFS ROs Infinity Gauntlet. We Have Gathered All of Them... It Seems...

(I used Gimp to edit the picture. I’m not 100% on the colors, but most of them fit barring a few changes. )

(The prompt for this ask can be found in 368. It’s about how the ROs react to an MC who likes to bite. :fire:)

B's Reaction

B has grown used to the little nips that you call your ‘love language’; they thought there were only 5 love languages, but are open to experiencing a sixth since this is how you show your affection.

They prefer to receive and not to give bites. “Hmm,” B hums out a low sound when you reach a certain spot, trying not to wiggle too much at the ticklish sensation that skates along their side like a feather is being used to count their ribs. Their shoulders scrunch up a little, but they keep a hand flatly on your back to encourage you and hopefully not distract.

“What?” You ask with mock curiosity, knowing full well what you are doing to them. “Something wrong?”

“N-no, everything’s fine,” B assures, though they narrow your eyes at the knowing quality to your expression that they only get to observe for a second before you press your lips to their skin once more. It’s a maddening kind of attention, but they enjoy it. “So fine…”

S’s can be found in post 368
R’s can be found in post 368

J's Reaction

You feel it again; a gentle tap of an index finger along the side of your hip that is perfectly timed with the next nip you place along J’s neck. Brushing your lips higher to reach a particular spot is interrupted by another feather light tap that brings to mind someone playing a wind instrument with how a forefinger joins the index finger, finding particular spots on your thigh and exerting a faint pressure as you leave another kiss. You shift a little in J’s lap, unsurprised that they move with you to keep you close. “Are you keeping count?"

J blinks, nearly brushing against your nose when they turn their head to look at you properly. “…No?” That sounded unconvincing. "I was just keeping track for later.”

You know what they mean; J prefers to dole out gentler affection, but does not mind your bites so long as they can balance the scales with kisses as the night progresses.

JR’s can be found in post 375

@Emily-katie_Smith Thank you so much for playing the demo. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m glad that you enjoyed it and that you’re curious to discover more about Fernweh.

I plan to reply more to you all later on! :smiley:

18 Likes

Ah, I’m the opposite! I love pairing my MCs with their complete opposite. I’m just a huge fan of the opposites attract trope. For example, if I do end up romancing R at any point, it’ll probably be with a shy MC, hehe.

10 Likes

@Kelsey Oh, that’s a great trope!

I love the example you used since I’ve learned of a few MCs who play either a more soft or shy MC when pursuing the R romance. I think @furyleika’s Darling (that is the MC’s amzing last name) MC is one of them from what I recall us talking about and how R would be open to teaching a romanced MC the piano. :heart_eyes_cat: I can imagine R sidling up closer on the piano bench to have a more personal touch to the instruction, ahem…

The variety of dynamics is what I find most enjoyable about writing romances in interactive fiction.

R can be disarmed by genuine softness, or want to push the buttons of certain MCs, or delight in trading flirtatious words with more bold MCs among other dynamics you and your MCs can create or discover.

The way I’m like: >.> at the sparkly heart being used to punctuate your protective yet lowkey intimidating statement. (I for one support you compiling a list! It’s what S deserves after always looking out for others.)

@lo6otia Oh, what you said about TFS making you think is something I strive for! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I intentionally weave hints and clues within the narrative for readers to pick up on or notice as foreshadowing for future events. Some can be quite hard to find. XD Book One was written so that a reader might discern something new on another playthrough. There are more obvious choices/branches that allow this, but you also might see things in a different light or from a new angle with time and spending more days in Fernweh.

11 Likes

You’re correct and I’m absolutely amazed that you remembered that?! To be fair, I almost always try and have at least one sweet, shy MC but I do like opposites attract a lot.

Thinking about the piano makes me smile. <3

5 Likes

Psssst, come here, I’ll tell you a secret! It’s the big secret of this little town. She has a file with all our MCs :rofl:
I agree that Darling is a great name for a MC. I could change Joy’s family name to Snarky, but Feuer turned out to be pretty fitting for this book. Especially with the R’s ‘too hot to handle’ line :blush:

Yeah, I know and I love you for that. Seriously. It’s everything that I’m looking for in a book/game/whatever. From the HG I played this year The Fernweh Saga and The Golden Rose are the ones I not only like, I’m engrossed and in love with them.
I know another one that will stand next to them next month - Samurai of Hyuga 5. And that’s it. So that’s top 3 for me for this year and I can’t tell you who is number 1, because these are 3 very different games and each of them give me something I like and I need. So I can’t rate them, they’re all on the top :smile:

2 Likes

Who says the threat of violence can’t be pink, sparkly, and adorable? (Whoever they are, they’re wrong!)

Thanks for your approval! :hearts: More importantly though, does S support this? I’m not unreasonable; I’m willing to remove people from the list if they’ve seen the error of their ways and have thoroughly repented.

For anyone who thinks @lo6otia is joking, let me assure you that @lacunafiction really does keep track of our MCs. Files are likely involved, yes.

Okay, I had to look up the meaning of Feuer, and yeah, I’d say it’s fitting. :fire: (Maybe you can give ‘Snarky’ to Kassi? :smiley: ) My MC’s surname is Hardt because, yes, it sounds like ‘heart’ (which is her highest overall stat), but it’s also kind of a nod at the main character of one of my favorite shows. :smile:

I’m just going to enthusiastically second this. It’s been a long time since something has grabbed my attention so much that I’ve actively examined, contemplated, and speculated about it, but ever since I’ve played Fernweh, I can’t help but to keep squinting between the lines, looking for what might be hidden within those depths. (My 3AM Fernweh thoughts are also something to behold.)

7 Likes

Oh my gosh, sorry if this is off topic and I hope I’m not interrupting the conversation. I’ve never met anybody else with an interest in Z nation, it’s my comfort show, the zombie baby absolutely killed me, I wasn’t expecting it.

Also is Daisy your mc for the Fernweh saga? They sound awesome, if you have them posted anywhere, like descriptions or character fanart on tumblr or something, I’d love to see them! (Sorry if it’s rude of me to be butting into your conversation.)

5 Likes

Hm, it just doesn’t… what was the expression :thinking: roll right off the tongue? Kassandra Snarky, no, I’m not sure about that. But I’ll keep it in mind for future MCs, it’s a great name :slight_smile:

I like very much to play detective and find every dirty secret of little towns. J should be concerned about loosing his job to us :laughing:

Well, nice to meet you! You’ve just met 2 of us.

7 Likes

Snarkassy or bust!

7 Likes

Snarkassy is a great nickname, I’ll definitely use it. Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

@zeal

Everyone on this thread has been super welcoming to me even though I used to only lurk without an account; they all seem nice. :blush:

I think you’re only adding to the conversation! Z Nation is something I tried after finishing up most of the TWD. (Still haven’t gotten to season 11. No spoilers plz.) I didn’t expect to see zombies mixed with comedy, found family, and kind of a redemption arc for Murphy. The zombie baby was both chilling and funny. I admit–dolls give me the creeps, so the baby zombie both repulsed and amused. The story line made me more open to combining things or being curious to see if a show/series can nicely balance unexpected genres.

Like how Fernweh Saga has horror/mystery with romance playing an equally important role.

Daisy is my MC for this game. I haven’t really gotten a chance to talk much about her except for her love of sweet Bee (that kinda sounds like sweet pea? I’m not as good at puns as you guys.) My main romance for her is B. I was thinking about trying either the JR or R routes for her next until @Lambkin said more about how S is with a sweet MC… I might need to make some more.

Do you all make different MCs for each character you like? Is that better to keep things separate for each pairing? peeks over at B I think I made Daisy get too attached to B…

More about Daisy below.

Daisy Facts

Inspiration for her look is: Madison Cheeatow. I saw this actress when watching Heartland.

I’m not gonna try to do those long descriptions like Aelsa, lol. I have two pics beneath this drop down. I do like reading them though to help me imagine the characters even better.

Picture References

(I can’t include pics, so I did the links!)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Personality: She has some golden retriever energy with how friendly she can be to people even if they don’t necessarily deserve or welcome that attention. B can reign that in sometimes or maybe benefit from it. I’ve seen on Tumblr that B can sometimes be anxious. I’d like to think Daisy tries to help with that. Sincere more than snarky, but friendly/charming wins out overall. Hmm, she is pretty independent from the fire trauma, not super duper team leader-like. Overall, I would say Daisy has a caring, pleasant personality.

Room: Daisy loves animals–no surprise that she chose the Cat’s Cradle room type. She eagerly wants to meet R’s cat even though she is not romancing R.

I feel like a lot of people pick this room.

Clothes: The leather outfit with the jacket. I’d like to think that her jacket is a sleek black leather with lots of zippers because she would rather put things in her pockets than lug around a purse or backpack. Maybe even carry stuff for B to be helpful. Boots! Those will come in handy in Fernweh’s forests. Her hair is like Madison’s so left long, not really fussed with or styled.

Passion/Talent: She likes to bake. I selected that for her childhood passion. I can see her and B enjoying baking together as a way to unwind; maybe trying new recipes together.

What about your MCs? Or do you have more than one for the different routes? :smiley:

5 Likes

I did this, and I highly recommend it. It ended up being my favorite route out of all of them.

I’m going to be honest, I was unnecessarily excited when I first found this out. It’s completely irrational, but I was just so excited.

I actually didn’t look at the meaning of names when I named my Fernweh MCs although I do often check name meanings. I am also drawn to alliterative names as well which often factors into my decision. In this case, I just chose what sounded good. Francesca “Fanny” Baxter, Gianna D’Angelo, Charlotte Poole and Naomi Cross.

I just want to add to this, that I’m typically a person who figures out mystery stories pretty quickly, so it’s rare for me to find a story where I can still be surprised which happened with Fernweh, so just well done.

Don’t apologize for getting involved. Also Welcome.

I like to think we are, but I’m also one of us, so I’m a teensy bit biased.

Well, I liked it.

I love @Lambkin but I’m going to have to make the case for R here. R is just such a layered character, that I have so much appreciation for. I once described R to @lacunafiction as an A+ friend, and that is a hill I will die on. (Along with the hill that all the characters need a hug.)

I do make a new character for each RO route that I try for two reasons 1) I try to play my characters as characters, and let them develop naturally, and I don’t think they would be the same characters if they romanced someone else. (Not to say that I don’t think real people can’t fall in love with more than one person its just if when placed in the exact same circumstances the only different choice they would make is who to romance feels a bit out of character to me. 2) I find that I get a better grasp of the story and the characters when I role play completely different characters because they spark different reactions in the cast and trigger different aspects of the story itself. For example, my first playthrough was with Gianna whose highest personality stat is snarky, and she’s romancing J. She and R trade barbs all day long (I get more of a friends playfighting vibe than actively insulting each other vibe). Then I played through with Fanny, the MC I have on R’s romance path, whose highest personality stat is merciful (and who might just be the most awkward human to ever walk the face of the earth) so she got to see a much different side of R.

TL;DR: I like making different MCs.

To be fair, I don’t exist in story, and I want to meet R’s cat so bad. (Its kinda in my name.)

Oooh, Fanny too. As previously stated, she’s romancing R not B, but since her and B are besties, I can see them baking together as friends.

So that was quite the lost post, but that’s what happens when I don’t check the forum for a few days. All the things happen.

7 Likes

I’m awful at making different MCs. I try and try, and in the end they all turn out pretty much the same :roll_eyes: So basically I have one MC with two names, depending on the setting of the game. Kassandra is for medieval/fantasy settings and Joy is for modern settings.
And I rarely like more than one RO, so I don’t create many MCs.

BUT here I made 2 almost different MCs. For science! And beta testing.

First was Joy Feuer, obviously - modern setting, the name is what I use for my main playthrough in most games. She’s snarky, funny, a shameless flirt, reckless, friendly, optimistic and merciful. She adores her bestie B, they are the best pun making team ever. She went for R, because that’s exactly what I would do :laughing:

Then I made Kassi to test other options and uncover more secrets. She is also very snarky, but way more serious than Joy, also she’s more bitter, level headed and mature. I made her flirt with everyone to see more things in one go, but that will change when Book 1 is out. She went for J/R route, because I just can’t say ‘no’ to R, you know :heart_eyes:

So I plan to make Snarkassy focus on J and R and I’ll probably make a third shy and nice MC for S, because you’re all so convincing! I just have to come up with a good name and don’t click on sarcastic choices. Sounds pretty impossible, but we’ll see :smile:

I don’t plan to have a MC for B, because he’s such a best friend and I don’t want to ruin that with romance. Also I don’t like that trope anyway.
I may try to create a MC for ???, I think that would be the playthrough where I can make her flirt with everyone and try some bad choices.

Yeah, I feel you. It’s like they are officially included in Fernweh by the author. I think it’s very nice of her to do that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I second that.

I wholeheartedly agree with you! Everyone should try R’s route.

Hahaha, that was good. I wanna meet every cat, they are just adorable and so purrrfect :kissing_cat:

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the reply!
That’s understandable, I did the same, used to creep around without an account. :rofl:

That’s funny because I watched Z nation for the same reason too, loved TWD so much but couldn’t find any other decent zombie shows until Znation. Murphy was one of my favourites, Found it funny how he went back and fourth, definitely an interesting character.

Sweet Bee! (That’s adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::rofl:)

Thanks so much for adding your characters description, hopefully I didn’t make you go to too much trouble. The name you picked for Daisy is such a cute name and seems to suit her personality a lot and the fact that you chose Madison Cheeatow as her inspiration, I’m over here falling in love with Daisy too.

It’s awesome to see how different others main characters are, makes me want to replay and try creating very different MC’s.
I choose cats cradle very often too, one of my favs, Daisy has good taste.
(I assume maybe you love cats too because ChiggerCat, best username.)

And yes! I enjoy making new characters for every route, it’s nice because you can try out a lot of different options and dynamics with the RO’s, I don’t think it’s necessary if you don’t want to make more but it’s definitely a nice excuse to stack up on MC’s, haha. My main mc I play as is named Sora, I’ve used her countless times (Sometimes I feel guilty switching from S to another romance route in my next play-through then go back to reread their route for the 10th time.) :rofl:

Your description was so organised and well put together, my characters are all half baked so I just end up throwing random facts in, their descriptions are absolutely hectic.

Thank you again for the response, it was delightful to read about your MC, hope you’re having a nice day. :slight_smile:

5 Likes