The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

Every time I look at this thread it keeps getting better and better…

4 Likes

Yes! I’m finalizing a few things relating to Book One, but then I plan to return to writing Book Two. It’s already a pretty hefty size; so far, the chapters are tending to be longer (i.e. the Introduction is over 3 times the first book’s.) :evergreen_tree: I’m really enjoying developing how your choices in Book One will influence Book Two; I set so many variables. To see them being further called on and come into play is like: !!! for me as I write the scenes.

@swilson50125 Thank you! :two_hearts: I’m touched that you view TFS: Book One as a gift to yourself; hopefully, it will be a thrilling start to your new year. :books:

@Aleksa100 You have perfect timing! :wink: I’m trying to include more posts from my Tumblr so you all can learn more about the characters; plus, it might make the wait for your return visit to Fernweh not feel as long.

17 Likes

18 Oct Anon Ask

R is the most competitive of the ROs. If the MC is competitive, then R adopts the mindset that there will only be one winner and it will be them. XD They are likely to tease or make a few quips, but they are never callous about the competition even if they take pride in it.

S and J don’t mind some competition, but more so friendly competition than something as intense as what R would participate in. (You probably don’t want to play Monopoly with R…:triumph::hocho::heavy_dollar_sign:.) S is a bit more competitive than J, especially when the competition is about something they feel like they should have an advantage in and want to showcase their knowledge/skill.

B is the least competitive and just likes to be included. They will cheer on the MC or (if needed) warn them to slow down or to breathe and that the competition isn’t more important than their safety/happiness/etc.

Today’s Tumblr Tuesday is a little bit late; I’ve been working on a few things. :smiley: Thank you all for your support; it’s been really heartwarming to see the excitement you have for the story. Best wishes! :green_heart:

20 Likes

25 Oct Tumblr Ask

J would think that the MC stealing their glasses is cute, especially if the MC tries to do it sneakily (and fails) or instigates a game of tag or finders keepers with them.

Taking breaks from work isn’t something they are used to, so it would be good for them too!

J may feign being grumpy about you taking their glasses, but it’s very, very easy to see that they don’t mind if it makes you smile or happy.

I think the fact that J sometimes wears glasses was lesser known until Ratellini’s awesome art, which portrays James with Clark Kent style glasses; you can find the piece in my art tag on Tumblr. This info is also mentioned in the Long Form Character Descriptions document that I will eventually be refreshing with more pics. :grin: I’m excited to include A’s faceclaims and longer description along with additional details about a few other characters you may encounter during Book One. I’ll likely make the update public after release day to limit spoilers, possibly even organizing the characters by when they can appear in the chapters; hmm… :thinking:

It’s something to consider; right now, I’m still diligently working on finalizing things for Book One.

I hope you all have a nice week ahead! :green_heart:

22 Likes

Every time you mention J, I feel like throwing a tantrum…

I wanna Smoooche them! :kissing_closed_eyes:

So…Questions Questions!!! (Cause I’m dying of boredom)

Who do you believe fit as a Romance for a Comic-Joker MC?

Go! I wanna know!

Is it Ruby? Sofia? Jane? Becca?

Or the monster? Think he has a sense of humour?

Cause I got so many jokes for him…

Rag…Tag…Wag…and Pack…then run like the dickens? :joy:

And who would fit for a Flirty MC?

And a Stoic MC?

@Lambkin @JBento

6 Likes

Ruby feels like a good match for a comic-joker MC, if they’re more of a snarky kind of joker, so they can trade snark all day long.

For a flirty MC, it depends on what you’re aiming for. Ruby will flirt back with snark, Becca and Jane if you’re aiming for fluster. Sofia gives you a good middle ground.

For Stoics it would be Becca, just so SOMEBODY in the couple initiates a conversation.

3 Likes

Yeah, Becca is precious. She remind me of the ‘Lady you meet’ in the Shadow Society…

They could easily be like sibling those 2 if put together lol

Yeah, annoying Ruby mother should be a lot of fun.

URGH! For fuck sake…I was going Flirty with Becca…and now I gotta reload.

I give becca the stoic treatement :sweat_smile:

Think if we nag, COG would create a Hypernation machine for us? So we can sleep till January? :grin:

5 Likes

Oh, 100% the ??? has a sense of humor. Perhaps not the type of sense of humor for polite company, but I mean, don’t you think it’s just hilarious the way ??? refers to the MC’s housefire nightmare as a ‘warm up’? Clearly a joker!MC and the ??? are relationship goals we should all strive for.

Okay, but in all seriousness, I think R and S would make nice matches for a comic-joker MC; while their senses of humor differ, they are both clever and witty and could match the MC’s humor with their own quips without missing a beat. R is also outgoing enough that they might be okay with even some practical joking, so long as it doesn’t fall into being very juvenile.

I can’t answer this without bias; my B-mancing MC is super outgoing and flirtatious, and she loves flirting with Becca all so she can get her flustered and cute. :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Yeah…

???: We can’t always have what we want evie…
Evie:…but Grand pa promised me a Ponie!
???: This is only the 1st round Evie…
Evie: The cabane was in the forest! And we had space! But noo…he rather feed a mutt! And all it does is bark and whine and poop…while a pony, make me feel like a princess!
???: Clear throat Eviiiiiiiiiie…we can’t always have what we wa-…
Evie: :roll_eyes: Don’t remind me Dab tears away
???: You are not listening to me! I will make sure you don’t get what you want!
Evie: Gasp How rude! Whose side are you on?! Did Grand Pa put you to this?!
Becca: D-don’t t-talk to…t-the t-thing…e-evie…
???: Hiss in outrage
Evie: Don’t you use that hissing at me mister!!
???: Ruffling noises
Evie: hey! Get back here!
???: Until next time evie…Cackle
Evie: Get back here! I’m not done with you!

???: What a pain in the ass she grow up to be. This one will be fun to-…
(Evie from far away: HEY! Mister Weirdo-Pervy Stranger?! Get back here!! Where is mah Poney!?)
???: Urgh…time to go!

:rofl:

(Disclaimer: Tiffy inspired this sketche :wink: So Thank her!)

3 Likes

Well, if you can’t beat the mysterious voice haunting your nightmares, then annoying it until it peaces out is a perfectly valid approach.

(Okay, lol, I’ll take responsibility for… that…that… whatever the heck that was. :laughing: )

5 Likes

My go-to mc are a bunch of deranged, stupid, annoying, and hilarious. The kind that even the sturdier monk who took an oath for 1,000 years…will break his oath under 2min with the mc :rofl:

2 Likes

Anything that can be annoyed into submission stands no chance against me.

6 Likes

Ask Prompt 21 Oct

Let’s see…

B likes to make references to certain cartoons/movies they have seen, so they would want a personal connection to their costume. No masks, minimal makeup, and nothing too itchy or scratchy. They would never dress up as a villain or someone from a slasher.

S will want to wear something that they crafted–nothing store bought or ready-made. Their character aesthetic post may give you a hint as to what that would be with the design skills they possess, but perhaps something steampunkish??? Possibly a character from a beloved book whose look was mimicked with exacting detail.

R would want something elaborate, of course, but also timeless in a way that immediately gets them noticed. They would want to win best costume, if there was such a contest. A vampire, a stylish devil, a Victorian well-dressed ballroom goer, sexy super villain, etc. R has many ideas (too many) and the means to execute them.

J will wear something, but probably not put that much thought in to it, so gestures at A and possibly the MC they may get some help. They would not want something too elaborate, possibly a mask, a different shirt, a jacket, or something simple that they could claim was a ‘costume’ (it’s not really??? But they may be persuaded to try more.)

JR. R will want you all to match or coordinate in some capacity like the three musketeers, trifecta of Greek gods, the three caballeros, etc. J would cave and participate to make R happy. XD

Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern: I hope you have fun/stay safe if you’re celebrating. I switched Tumblr Tuesday to today in light of the holiday. Wishing you all a lovely week ahead! :green_heart:

15 Likes

What about Itchy AND Scratchy?

Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viseryon?

EDIT: No, wait, I HAVE IT!

7 Likes

That’s it, R and my MC are hosting a fancy Halloween masquerade every year after all these shenanigans are sorted. Fancy couples costumes forever!

There are so many great options. Gomez and Morticia? Marc Antony and Cleopatra? They could do an awesome Prince Charming and Princess…

4 Likes

@JBento I think R would prefer the badass dragons, especially because of the :sparkles: colors :sparkles: that they could use to inspire suits/dresses that have scaled detailing or hints of texture.

(Like wing ridges? A tasteful, horned headpiece? A little cape that they would act all graceful and dignified in while at a party, but in private, you and J would see them trying to zoom past to make it catch the air. :dragon: :pleading_face: )

I could see R very proudly claiming Rhaegal for themself because they know they look good in deep emerald. They would then most likely assign Drogon to J given their relative statures as a playful way to tease them. (I could also see this being a bit more saucy deeper in romance… Yes, R will use most any costume to try and be coy.) That would then likely leave the MC with Viseryon. Gold and cream are versatile colors, unless they really wanted Drogon’s aesthetic then, of course, J would give it up, but good luck with swaying R from theirs. XD

@furyleika I absolutely love this idea, and I know R would be all for it with how infamous Verner balls, parties, and galas tend to be around town. :eyes: Throwing a party with the MC would be special for them, less about the glitz and optics and more about creating a unique, lasting experience for you and your friends.

(Oh, that makes me soft…)

So much yes! :heart_eyes: R would be all for this; I grinned when I saw the Cleopatra and fairytale romance ideas.

11 Likes

Anon Ask 5 Nov

Hmm, I would say J or S since they both provide a sense of stability to the group.

J is more actively protective and can be a bit of a mother hen at times. (We will see more of J and A’s sibling dynamic in Book Two.) They want everyone safe and looked after even if it puts more work on their plate.

S is more passively supportive and will watch out for everyone in their own way; we see a hint of this in Chapter 4 depending on whom you romance.

B has a mom friend override. If they want something, they may waffle on it or hesitate, but if they know the MC also wants it, they will try and get it for you and for them. Yes, I am referencing a specific Tumblr post about ketchup that has a lot of notes. Also, I just learned we can do strikethroughs on here.

R is like a vodka aunt? Twice-removed cousin friend??? They may enable bad ideas and have some interesting stories to tell, but should not really be left in charge or too unsupervised. They mean well. XD

I hope you all are having a lovely week! :green_heart: It’s November already, only two months to go for the release. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

Anon Ask 15 Nov

Oh, wanting to make someone’s favorite dish for them is so soft and sweet; B relates to you.

B loves to cook, preferably to bake, and enjoys both the process and conceptualization along with preparing the actual dish. Really, they get the most happiness out of other people enjoying what they made specifically for them, which is something their grandmother taught them. Being cooking buddies with your MC would make them very pleased. :smiley:

S helped their mom and dad in the kitchen while growing up and still offers help today without being told to; they are the type to support without being asked to, even in a culinary capacity. S is probably one of the best helpers out of all the ROs and will also offer suggestions to elevate a dish. I would say their cooking ability is probably second best overall; S is better at cooking regular meals, while B is better at baking.

Lol, R is used to being cooked for but not by their mother or father. That being said, once of a certain age, they were left alone quite a bit so they learned the basics needed to get by and that’s that. Galas, fancy parties, luncheons, tastings, etc. have shaped their ‘palate’, but truthfully they like simple, homemade stuff where the effort outweighs the cost or glitzy/fanciness of the meal itself. They would be a bit of a chaotic helper…

Uhm, J isn’t the best cook…They will burn toast and then not want to bother with waiting for a new slice to toast so eat the darkened piece. It’s not about skill, more so time with them. Since becoming the Detective and dealing with some things, they are inclined to seek out quicker meals (sometimes even meal bars, shakes, cold sandwiches, etc.) as opposed to the homemade, farm-to-table cooking they were raised on. (A gets on to them about this and does not approve.) The MC may be able to get them to slow down and even teach them that it’s okay to take things slower. J is ever polite and will help out in the kitchen if the MC would like to cook (e.g. washing, dicing things, being your sous chef), though they are unlikely to take the lead and will wait for your instruction.

JR together in the kitchen would be controlled chaos with R trying to offer 'suggestions’ and get off topic, while J is a dutiful sous chef and tries their best. Your MC may have a Gordon Ramsay moment, or enjoy it. They would both be proud (R ridiculously so) of having helped you make something; it would be kind of adorable, imo.

Wishing you all a lovely day/night. :green_heart:

Another week has slipped by; I got the final, tweaking edits submitted to COG at the tail end of October, so there is more finality setting in. :smile: I’m working on quite a few other things as the scheduled release date creeps up. Eventually, I’m planning to switch back to weekly updates with a counter, possibly six weeks out or maybe four, but rn I’m working each day on assets, writing content, and so forth. Best wishes!

23 Likes

I head cannon that after Gianna witnesses this, she starts getting up early every morning to cook James breakfast. I picture her as being a pretty good cook, so it would work out. I can just see het getting frustrated that James doesn’t take the time to make what she cosiders “real food”. (She does not in fact consider toast real food.)

5 Likes

I’m imagining Silas, Becca, and Marcie working together to gently but insistently convince Mrs. Dorran to take the evening off (they’d like it to be the whole day, but baby steps) so they can be the ones treating her to a delicious, home-cooked meal for a change. Becca handles the baking/dessert portion (it’s for the best), while Marcie takes on the main course with Silas offering her tips and pointers, not just because he knows what his mom likes, but also to help enhance the flavor. (Also, it’s not just like what to add, but he also shares techniques he’s read about and tried himself, and with her permission, he gives her a hands-on demonstration (standing close behind her, his hand softly resting atop hers as he guides her movements (y’all know what I mean :blush: )).) Dinner turns out wonderfully, and Marcie decides she’ll be using that adapted recipe in the future whenever she makes that dish.

@Cat-Toes Thank goodness Gianna is there to look after James since heaven knows he doesn’t do it himself. With how attentive she is to him, I imagine she probably makes him lunch and even stops by the station to make sure he actually takes his break and eats his food. :smile:

4 Likes