The Fernweh Saga: Book One (Discussion) [šŸ’š Game Update, Post 1214 | TFS: 2 Teaser, Post 1186 ]

Iā€™m oh so tempted to speak to this, but it relates to a fun scene with R in the future. :ring_buoy: Youā€™re exactly right that the Verner mansion has a pool among other facilities like stables and an archery range area.

Iā€™m avidly reading about your MCsā€™ fitness routines, though @Cat-Toes what you said about ballroom dancing sounds incredible! I may eventually need to reach out to you to get your impressions on some dancing scenes in a future book. Research is one thing, but your experience will be epic! :dancer:

@Nemureru_Mori Iā€™m gently curious as to whose path will intersect with Natsukiā€™s. (I like to keep notes on MCs to maybe help influence future choices! :books: ) Iā€™m so glad that you mentioned this! Iā€™m going to post it here to make it easier for readers who are not on Tumblr.

I have one anon on Tumblr who shares the same birthday as Ms. V, so it could be worse. XD

I do wonder if any of your MCs relate to their Celtic zodiac sign? :eyes:

I use the mainstream zodiac along with the Celtic one, so I would recommend looking at this source: here, to see where your MC falls and to read about it. :evergreen_tree:

I hope you enjoy learning more about the characters! :green_heart:

S: February 8th, Aquarius. :aquarius: Rowan (The Thinker)

A: March 4th, Pisces. :pisces: Ash (The Enchanter)

Mrs. Dorran: April 29th, Taurus. :taurus: Willow (The Observer)

W: May 26th, Gemini. :gemini: Hawthorn (The Illusionist)

J: July 2nd, Cancer. :cancer: Oak (The Stabilizer)

B: October 17th, Libra. :libra: Ivy (The Survivor)

R: November 22nd, Sagittarius :sagittarius: (technically, they are on the Scorpio-Sagittarius cusp, which is on purpose). Reed (The Inquisitor)

Ms. Verner: December 28th, Capricorn. :capricorn: Birch (The Achiever)

13 Likes

To no surprise of mine, I get the Thinker, just like S. :smile:

8 Likes

Oh, I totally can see Joy having a horse race with Reese :heart: Kassi would be more into an archery competition. I donā€™t know about Evie and Lily, theyā€™re not that developed yet.

Well, Iā€™m impressed - all of them actually do relate to their Celtic zodiac sign!
Joy shares my birthday, because I like to self insert, so she is Alder (Aries) and the description is a spot on for her!
Kassi is Willow (also Aries), which is also very close to her character. Evie is Reed (Scorpio) and Lily is Ivy (Libra).

Hm, Iā€™ve always imagined R as a Scorpio, he just gives me that vibes :wink:

Edit: Now I know why B is my bestie and I canā€™t romance him. I get along very well with male Libras, but only as friends :laughing:

8 Likes

Ooh, very cool! I somehow knew J was a Cancer. And that R was a Scorpio (Iā€™ve always been drawn to Scorpios, and my husband is one!).

B and I would so not get along at first. I have always clashed with Libras until we get to know each other well (if we havenā€™t told each other to eff off by then).

My two MCs fit their signs pretty well (well, for Naiaā€¦ Cancers are known for not being very impulsive, but thatā€™s BS, especially if they have a lot of houses in Gemini, and being on the cusp puts her in a weird position, but the emotional part fits her pretty well and her Celtic sign nails her):

Naia: July 22, Cancer (but on the cusp of Leo), Holly (The Ruler) (and lol, her animal is the cat and unicorn)

Reina: March 22, Ariesā€¦ Alder (The Trailblazer) (and this totally fits!!)

For the hell of it, Iā€™m a Cancer (July 4) and got the Oak (The Stabilizer) for the Celtic sign. And that fits pretty well, except for the positive part (unless it means positively having an opinion or making decisions!) because Iā€™m a freaking pessimistā€¦ er, realistā€¦

4 Likes

This brings up another headcanon-building question: how do you folks imagine that B and the MC met? I have no brilliant creative insights here, I just imagine theyā€™re college friends.

:heart_eyes:!! ā€¦ waitā€¦ are these going to be creepy dancing scenes? :thinking:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s a neat and interesting zodiac! Wow!

Hmm, letā€™s see how my MCs fit their signs:

Arthur, November 14 (Scorpio), Reed (the Inquisitor): The Scorpio sign is fitting even if on the surface it doesnā€™t seem like it. The Reed is a better fit for him on the surface and on deeper levels (but he does definitely regard human life highly enough to swallow his now-warranted fear of the woods because the prankster kid is in imminent danger and needs immediate aid). He really doesnā€™t put much stock in any form of astrology or divination, however.

Laurel, June 21 (Cancer, on Gemini cusp), Oak (the Stabilizer): Oh maaaan, these signs are profoundly ill-fitting on Laurel. However, she does definitely project the image of being kind-hearted, cheerful (Cancer/Gemini) while simultaneously being stabilizing and calm (Oak) because it makes people give her the benefit of the doubt. While she doesnā€™t believe in astrology, sheā€™d file away the fact that some people do for future use.

Roz, February 9 (Aquarius), Rowan (the Thinker): Aquarius is middlingly fitting, while Rowan is ill-fitting. Sheā€™s definitely free-spirited as well as kind and fair-minded (and she enjoys tangible results), but sheā€™s not aloof or detached by any means. That would probably disappoint her, since she enjoys astrology and divination of any sort and believes that it is helpful even if itā€™s not magical.

6 Likes

I made Natsuki for Beckettā€™s route. He has feelings for his bestie, but heā€™s too afraid to act on it because heā€™s scared to ruin their friendship, which is very special and important to him as someone who is fiercely independent and closed-off to other people. I havenā€™t finished this playthrough yet, Iā€™m eager to see how their relationship develops!

Thatā€™s unfortunate :rofl: All jokes aside, I admire that Ms. Verner is actually very ambitious and hardworking, how Capricorns are meant to be, I, on the other hand, am rather lazy :laughing:

Vivian: 27 September - Libra and Vine (The Equalizer). Vine doesnā€™t seem so fitting at first, but some details are spot on. Vivian is definitely very open-minded and can easily see both sides of a story. He also has a very refined taste and is an aesthete, which is the quality of Libra as well.

Amari: 13 April - Aries and Alder (The Trailblazer). Alder is quite fitting, but not fully. Itā€™s truth that Amari is very action-oriented and initiative person, but he definitely has enemies who dislike him (Alek is living proof of that :joy:)

Natsuki: 9 July - Cancer and Holly (The Ruler). Holly also has some fitting characteristics, such as protectiveness and especially this sentence: ā€œthey may come off arrogant, but they are generous, sweet, and loving once you get to know them.ā€ That describes Natsuki to a T!

6 Likes

Ah just sorta-confirmed then right? :smirk:

I get the feeling youā€™re trying to throw me off with some red herrings and theyā€™re really the MCā€™s guardian angel :wink:

3 Likes

Arthur and Becca: They saw each other at the gym and realized that they ran on the same route (B is, after all, described as athletic), talked to each other after they both noticed, and hit it off from there. They also attended the same university as undergrads.

Laurel and Beckett: They met in one of their shared classes in undergrad. Beckett thought she seemed nice and talked to her. Laurel was indeed niceā€¦at first. Now, Beckett probably remains friends with her because heā€™s worried about her even at his own detriment.

Roz and Becca: They were both members of their universityā€™s baking club, and later co-presidents. To this day, they remain besties.

7 Likes

For Fanny, I actually imagine them meeting in high school which is kinda young, but given that MC was almost 15 when they left Fernweh thats a few years of school left before college. I also pocture Fanny being quite shy and awkward add to that all the trauma shes bringing with her to a new school I like to imagine she had B there to be a kind friend to her. And since Fanny doesnt make frienda easily, she makes extra effort for them to stay friends.

Gianna I think probably met B by having a class together in college, soecifically an English class where they were in the same peer review group and had to read each otherā€™s poetry, leading to some relativel deep conversations that turned into a lasting friendship.

For Naomi, I see them being neighbors that quickly became good friends.

Charlotteā€™s a tricky one, and I havenā€™t fully decided yet. Maybe Iā€™ll just go with the generic met at college. Maybe they were randomly assigned dormates since Charā€™s not very social.

6 Likes

Just popping in to share a link to a quiz!

TFS: Book One released on January 5th, so weā€™re almost approaching its one month milestone. :green_heart:

I thought it might be fun for you all to test your knowledge of Fernweh with a playful quiz that includes a variety of questions about what you may have noticed during the story. It might be interesting to compare results, especially because the ??? has special titles for you based on your score and a message that can range from complimentary to downright rude. >.> The quiz is: here. I also did want to mention that I updated my ā€˜Aboutā€™ on Patreon along with revamping the patron tier benefits/pricing, so please consider taking a look.

Some of the ???'s dark humor shaded the question options. :eyes: Hopefully, you will enjoy it!

12 Likes
Marcella: March 06 (Pisces Ash)

Iā€™ve had Marcieā€™s birthday locked in at March 06 for a while now, so this makes her a Pisces Ash. As a Pisces, sheā€™s emotionally intuitive, compassionate, and has a tendency to slip into daydreaming and spacing out (sometimes to the concern of those around her). Sometimes she uses her daydreams and imagination as a form of escapism to (unhealthily) cope with the reality of her past (dwelling on the what-could-have-beens), but she bounces back from these spells quickly and throws herself into the present, seemingly unaffected and more cheerful than before.

I didnā€™t know anything about the Celtic Tree zodiac until very recently, but Iā€™m so pleasantly surprised to see a lot of her Pisces traits also reflected in Ash (being compassionate/empathetic, daydreaming and having a strong imagination, being deeply intuitive. While she can hold her own socially, sheā€™s a little more introverted, but in the brief times when she does withdraw into herself, sheā€™s definitely not inclined toward moodiness. As far as being artistic and creative (prominent in both Pisces and Ash), the closest thing to art she does is flower-pressing and simple flower arranging (her affinity is for botany, so sheā€™ll do these things when she has freshly-cut flowers on hand), and though she typically likes to keep her pretty, fanciful, or indulgent thoughts inside her mind, sheā€™ll sometimes write short stories, but theyā€™re for her eyes alone and serve as a form of catharsis for her.

(Also, I love that she and A (Alina in her case) have such close birthdays; she adores Alina so much and would have excitedly asked her parents and the Corvins if they could have giant, joint birthday parties.)

Becca and Marcieā€™s first meeting

Before Becca and Marcie officially met, they would see each other around the area where Marcie worked at a daycare/preschool and Becca volunteered at the local dog rescue. Theyā€™d usually pass each other by from time to time while Becca was walking the dogs and Marcie was either grabbing lunch for herself and her coworkers or getting supplies for the class activities, and they would wave or smile at each other or offer polite greetings as their paths crossed. On one of these days when Marcie was on her way back from making copies of activity worksheets for the older children, the tiny floof of a dog Becca was walking managed to slip its leash/harness and excitedly dashed right for her. Reflexively, Marcie dropped her folder of worksheets (sending them scattering everywhere) in order to grab up the puppy before he got the idea to run toward the nearby road. Becca immediately rushed over, a jumble of gratitude and apologies, and once they got the dog secured again, she helped Marcie pick up her papers, the two of them falling into easy and pleasant conversation all the while. After that, they became fast friends and eventually decided to rent a place together. (I also imagine that they attended the same college, though they only learned this after officially meeting.)

Iā€™m not sure about my other MCs quite yet, but Iā€™m sure Maggie wishes she and Becca get to have a meet cute on the same level as Becca and Marcie.

@lacunafiction Thank you so much for sharing the link to the quiz here! :sparkling_heart: It was a lot of fun. I got 100% (Fernwehā€™s Finest), though the urge to pick some of the obviously wrong answers was tempting. :laughing:

8 Likes

Fellow Fernwehā€™s Finest here! Alsoā€¦my favorite type of dog is the Manx :wink: .

6 Likes

Your Result:

55%

A Well-Meaning Tourist: Oh dear, the time away has had a negative impact, hasnā€™t it? We still missed you despite the fact that your observation of the town and its occupants seemed dull at times, though your trip was rather eventful, so that could be to blame. Fernweh is where you belong; it just might take more time and effort on your part to realize why. We still welcome you home.

Sorry, I rather earn a VIP kisses card with R and J than know everything about the Town :sweat_smile:

Also calling Ms Verner ā€˜meanyā€™ is worth the trip alone :laughing:

5 Likes

Huh, better than I expected, actually.

5 Likes

Evelynā€™s birthday is July 7. Cancer-Oak. Based from the description, itā€™s spot on with Evelyn who like to help others, loyal and generous. The reason why she get along with J. XD

You are the champion of the underdog and regularly defend people who do not have a voice. The Oak has the easy confidence to be the crusader. Nurturing, generous and helpful, you radiate calmness and accept everything will work out positively in the end. You have a profound regard for history and are likely drawn to be an educator as you wish to give others an insight into the past. You appreciate huge family and friend gatherings and have a vast and varied social network.

Becca and Evie met during high school. Becca was her seatmate during highschool and always talk to her during those times and got close from there.

7 Likes

You have no idea how much I wanted to say the dog breed was a manx or any of the other funny options. :rofl:

6 Likes

Dammit, you beat me. I seriously couldnā€™t remember Mrs. Vā€™s nameā€¦ Meanie sounds about right to meā€¦

6 Likes

I really canā€™t remember what color is Wā€™s apron :smiling_face: Maybe because I tend to skim through charactersā€™ descriptions and just imagine them my way.

Yes, itā€™s the best type of dog :heart:

5 Likes

Seeing how everyone has gotten a higher score than me, do I get the pity cake? :cupcake:

Make it Vanilla something and Iā€™ll be happy :smile:

Besides all your High scores say that you be the one I bug when I need direction :joy:

lo6otia (Score:95%): Shhh I believe this is where we find the bodyā€¦

EvilChani (Score: 85%): Do you think this Virtual version mean we get the sense of smell and not just the visual?

lo6otia (Score: 85%): Try not to throw up if it doesā€¦

The Glorious Sam (Score: 55%): I think we are lost, who is with me in the screaming squad for Help?

JBento: (Score: Too badass to mention): Silently Hold :placard: Exit Sign ā€¦ :smirk:

Becca: If we scream maybe Milton will hear us and we can all go home together?

The Glorious Sam: (Score: Irrelevant): Just like that, we are a team of 2 :grin:

Ruby: Letā€™s just get this over with, with you all hereā€¦it feel crowded and less scary.

The Glorious Sam: Fine, letā€™s go Bee!

B: Right behind you!

lo6tioa: :roll_eyes: finally! Now we can check the next sceneā€¦

EvilChani: Eww it smell bad, like real bad. So badā€¦Urghā€¦

lo6tioa: Its a dead bore, what did you expect to smell like ? Febreeze?

EvilChani: It smell bad, we smelled itā€¦can we go now?

(Meanwhileā€¦)

W: You want another?

B: Yes plz!

W: Thats like your 3 hot chocolate, you sure its okay?

B: Plzā€¦just keep them coming!

(ā€¦not that far from B)

Sam The Glorious Ones: Soā€¦Bowser how is it hanging?

Bowser: :unamused:

Sam The Glorious: Want some hot coco while we wait? Chocolate? Java?

Bowser: Just be quietā€¦

J: ā€¦

Sam The Glorious: Canā€™t do, button broken. Boswer you are such a Boooooooowser!

Bowser: :unamused:

(Back to Bā€¦)

W: your friend has a death wishā€¦

B: Yeah, but what can you do? Iā€™m too much of a wimp to intervene, beside you are holding me hostage with hot chocolate!

W: Laugh One hot chocolate coming!

Where is mah cake? I got :coffee: ready! :grin:

8 Likes