The Fernweh Saga: Book One (Discussion) [šŸ’š Game Update, Post 1214 | TFS: 2 Teaser, Post 1186 ]

Iā€™ve been meaning to do an evil MC playthrough. I just havenā€™t gotten arount to it yet.

3 Likes

I wonā€™t lie, it is absolutely awful to upset best Bee. Rejecting the friendship bracelet and calling it childish is probably one of the most heinous things one can do in this game.

@lo6otia Yeah, I agree about the cruel route being itz own sort of dark fun.

5 Likes

I dont know if the author frquents the thread alot,but i just finished book one and i gotta say i love it! Also probably the longest book ive seen in awhile,and thought the mystery was very engaging. Also really like the characters,and csnt wait to see what you have in store for book 2 :raised_hands:t5:.

6 Likes

It was a delight to learn more about Amber! :smiling_face: I donā€™t think youā€™ve played a highly friendly MC before, so itā€™s cool that she has some charming energy along with being optimistic. I can see her wanting to drag B out of their shell, possibly more of an extrovert? Also, thank you so much for your endgame stats, @lo6otia.

I love collecting these to run some numbers/fill some tables. :bar_chart: (Feel free to send them to me!)

Your RO ranking is also very intriguing. I do predict that the W might creep up (hehe) higher after you experience more of their route in Book Two. Although as I said before, there will be a few surprising moments on Bā€™s route.

This^ was also one of my favorite exchanges on Bā€™s route; R expressing an opinion or making side commentary about how things are progressing can be entertaining.

Technically, it was the radioā€™s fault, so Iā€™m innocent. :innocent: Actually, if you think about the timing and the song that eventually plays, it could suggest that the ??? or something else was also manipulating that moment to interrupt, hmm. Maybe itā€™s all just coincidence, but the timing seemed a little too perfect; I wonder why?

The ??? likely wouldnā€™t understand the concept of limits. We will see that throughout the series; itā€™s important to note that the learning @lo6otia and others have mentioned works both ways. The ??? was willing to let the MC learn. @Lambkin once quoted some of the dark humor used in the Chapter 3 nightmare about that dream being a warm up :fire:, which might suggest that things will get worse if that learning curve is adapted to.

@Nuu Thank you so much for experiencing Book One! :green_heart:

I also appreciate you stopping by the thread to share what you liked; the mystery has many layers to it. Iā€™m kind of in a Lightning Returns mode of feeling like thereā€™s not enough time in the day despite there being so many things I want to get done. (I wish they didnā€™t make a time limit mechanic for that video game, but your icon reminded me of my Final Fantasy love.) This can be a good thing though; I have a timeline that helps to guide my writing endeavors. Knowing that you canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s in store for Book Two is very encouraging to me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™ll be happy when I get to release some of its content.

Wishing you all a wonderful week! :bouquet:

8 Likes

I donā€™t think I can stomach RPing a MC who is mean to Reese. :frowning: I have now played through aboutā€¦ six times, I think?.. with Naia, so I could get a feel for her. Sheā€™s pretty solid now, I think. I just need to figure out what she did after leaving Fernweh. It was funnyā€“except for the first run with her, she never flirted with the waiter. Despite her being friendly to him, he didnā€™t make many appearances (and didnā€™t show in the dinner nightmare).

The biggest thing is that, I swear, I love Reese way more now than I did in my initial play through.

Warning: The below is all speculation and my own take on Rā€™s character. Your mileage may varyā€¦

I think I have more of a feel for his character now, tooā€“very emotionally controlled on the surface with a lot of inner turmoil (still waters run deep), loyal, confident but less so than what he appears. I think he feels trapped (ironic, considering the way Fernweh works) but not as much by the town as his position as Ms. Vā€™s son. He has a dominant streak (and now I see that more in the text, after reading @lacunafictionā€™s Valentineā€™s Day gift!), but only if the MC accepts it. What hit me most this last time playing is just how much he fears rejection. Flirting is easyā€“emotional connections? Not so much. Especially since he feels he was already burned once by the MCā€™s disappearance. Like Silas saidā€“Reese lost three things in one night: his dad, the MC, and his mom (even though sheā€™s physically there, sheā€™s not there for him) and it made him put up walls from hell.

Being more empathic, it was easier for Naia to pick up on a lot of that this time. Between her empathetic nature and the fact that she strongly feels many of the things that Reese does (including abandonment issues), it makes it easier for her to get him. Even if she does hold back due to her own fear of rejection. The handshake at the end hurt her, but she got it. o goodbyes. Of course, she also took that as him saying he never cared to see her again, butā€¦ one step at a time?

The predicament I now have, however, is that the poly is difficult because I canā€™t play anyone but Naia with Reese. In order to play the poly, it appears I will have to break my own rule of not using the same character for different paths. I think I am going to try it with Naia and see what happens. By the end of the game, she was closest to James, anyway (outside of Reese), and she really does love him, too, just differently. Hell, maybe I can get that to workā€¦

I think I may try it. But then Iā€™ll be screwed doing the James route. Canā€™t win for losing!

After seeing your run with B, I think I may finally try it. Iā€™m never much for the best friends trope, but it may work with the right MC. Just have to figure out who that is.

3 Likes

Tsk, tsk, so jealous.

Iā€™m gonna take that as an indicator that the ??? is basically heartbroken/ā€œheartbrokenā€ and serenading MC with the song on the radio.

How dare MC break their heart by leaving town :joy: (even though it wasnā€™t even their choice to leave anyway and it wasnā€™t like they were doing it to hurt anyone, but leave it to the ??? to take it personally).

5 Likes

Yes, youā€™re quite right, I havenā€™t. Joy is 66% friendly, Kassi - 67%, Evie - 35%, Lily - 67% and Amber is 78%. Vicky is more on the aloof side, so Amber is definitely the friendliest of the bunch. Sheā€™s the ray of sunshine and confidence that Bee needs :sun_with_face:

Iā€™m not into that trope also, but Bee is not the typical best friend, heā€™s way more realistic to what I would have as a best friend and has unique moments. Heā€™s the outsider, the other ROs are locals. Amber detached herself from the town long time ago, so she was also an outsider, but I wonder what would be like if MC didnā€™t want to leave Fernweh in Bā€™s route. It would be interesting to see such a scenario in Book 2.

Just after killing the baby deer and not being nice to the puppy.

I have that feeling also and only my love for R is the reason jRā€™s path is second for now, but thatā€™s my ranking for Book 1. And I havenā€™t finished my J run yet, but I think W is safe in the third place for now.

Yeah, yeah, youā€™re totally innocentā€¦ I donā€™t think there are any coincidences in your writing, you canā€™t fool me :female_detective:

Youā€™re obsessed, my friend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I totally get you and your analysis of Reese is top notch :+1:
Iā€™ll recommend trying the poly not with Naia but with Naiaā€™s twin, thatā€™s what I did here, because Joy and Kassandra were almost the same MC at the beginning and then they took their own paths.

The MC I created now for Jā€™s run turned out very similar to the way Kassandra reacted to J, so I know what you mean. But Fernweh deserves many more visitors :wink:

I never do that. If the author gives us a choice for that I would pick the one most fitting for me. Like we have to pick the past affinity here and Iā€™m sure @lacunafiction will give us more things to shape our MCs in the future books. But I canā€™t go into too many details about MC outside of the text. I prefer it to stay ambiguous because I reuse my MC and for every game she has different past.

4 Likes

Happy birthday, @lo6otia! :partying_face: I hope youā€™re having a lovely day! :smiling_face:

Also I second what you said about Bee. Iā€™m not the biggest fan of bff romance trope myself, just like you and @EvilChani, but I really enjoyed Bā€™s romance. They really arenā€™t like your typical outgoing friend, so developing a romantic relationship with them feels very natural. Chani, you should definitely try romancing Bee!

5 Likes

You can kill the baby deer out of recklessness (or over-caution) rather than malice, and you can feel remorse for doing so. There isnā€™t much remorse for MCs that are mean to Waffles or reject Bā€™s gift (and make B feel bad for making it).

Thatā€™s super impressive! My most maxed stat ever is 76%.

3 Likes

I also played an MC detached from Fernweh on Bā€™s route, but I am interested in how wanting to stay in town would play out on that route.

I second this motion.

I didnā€™t like Bā€™s path as much as the other ROs, but it was still interesting, and they are a sweetheart, so I would still say its worth a try.

5 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Oh, Evie has her cruel stat at 85%. But donā€™t tell anyone! :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Now you all made me curious and I had to go and look at my own stats. My record is also 85% in snark for Emilio. That checks out, heā€™s an insufferable jokester :laughing: A close second is Florian with 84% in friendliness. He really wants people to like him, and sometimes he even pretends and fakes his reactions for the sake of being likable, so that also makes sense.

So far the record is 85%, does anyone have a higher stat?

5 Likes

Not so far! Naiaā€™s highest stat is recklessness, at 78%, followed by resistance at 75%. Sheā€™s 71% merciful.

Itā€™s funny, she started out as a snarkster (all my MCs do because thatā€™s my inclination, lol), but now sheā€™s only 45% snarky. Sheā€™s almost always genuine around Reese and James. She snarks at Silas, who doesnā€™t seem to appreciate it, lol.

If I play a MC with B, I can guarantee sheā€™ll be snarky as hellā€¦

2 Likes

Tbh, I was surprised that Dezh wasnā€™t sarcastic, for some reason I expected her to be :laughing: (you explained why she isnā€™t in Wayhaven thread not long ago)

Lol, my snarky MC Emilio is on S route, poor Silas :rofl:

It will certainly be a fun combination! :grin:

2 Likes

I think my highest is 77% Sincerity for Rosalind. Need to do a couple more runs to iron out my personal canon for her though.

4 Likes

At the end of Book One, Marcieā€™s highest Personality stat is 78% Merciful (which Iā€™m pretty sure is as high as it can go) with Sincerity next at 72%. Her highest stat in Traits is 77% Heart with Believer closely behind at 74%. The others are comfortably scattered in the 50s and 60s and may slightly fluctuate depending on whether her ā€˜primaryā€™ route is Silasā€™ route or Rubyā€™s route.

Fun fact: If I donā€™t have my numbers wrong, I think the Snark stat can get up to 91% by the end of Book One.

5 Likes

Well, that sounds like a lofty goal for my B-mancer, once I figure out who she is!

Oh, man, I never stay ambiguous with my MCā€™s past and basic build. I need to know what made them the way they are. But then, I donā€™t reuse MCs in other games (or even in the same gameā€¦ until, possibly, now, in TFS).

Even if the author gives us more things to shape our MCs, I sometimes dally outside of that framework (or make it more specific, in some way), to help me figure them out. But Iā€™m weird. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, Iā€™m thinking my B-mancer will be that way, but will also be bitter about being sent away (and, to make things interesting, pissed off at James for not bothering to try to stay in touch because she sent him letters that never got returnedā€¦possibly the same with Reeseā€“of course, she doesnā€™t realize they never got the damned thingsā€¦). I figure sheā€™ll hide her bitterness over it behind a bunch of snark.

Now sheā€™s sounding more fun to playā€¦

Yeah, at first I was disappointed that she turned out more serious. Now I get her.

Naia isnā€™t quite as, umm, hard as Dezh. Perhaps just as stubborn, though. And just as much of an adrenaline junkie, lol. I think her tendency to be genuine with Reese and James (and anyone who needs help, like Marjorie) combined with her tendency to snark at most other people if the opportunity arises, will keep her somewhere around the middle of that spectrum. Her recklessness will continue to go off the charts, howeverā€¦

Silas really doesnā€™t seem to appreciate that personality trait at all! :laughing:

3 Likes

She going to be snarky but kind or snarky and cruel?

1 Like

I think a mix. The way Iā€™m picturing her, sheā€™s bitter over being thrown away by her grandfather, and she figures her ā€œfriendsā€ just wrote her off as being dead to them, too. So, when she first comes back, she may be a complete and utter bitch to them. But I donā€™t see her being cruel to everyone, especially not B, since thatā€™s who she wants to be with. Sheā€™s not a sociopath, justā€¦ bitter.

Iā€™ll know more when I play, which I may do tonight, I think. If I can find a good name for her before then, at least.

3 Likes

I do both of these as well.

Then we can be weird together.

My MC Charlotte is the opposite lol. Charlotte is bitter and hurt, but sheā€™s nicer to her childhood friends. I think its because they represent memories of better times and that she compartmentalized so much that she wasnt prepared to remember all the affection she had for them as children.

6 Likes