The Fernweh Saga: Book One (Discussion) [šŸ’š Game Update, Post 1214 | TFS: 2 Teaser, Post 1186 ]

well, that was one hell of a ride.

Guys, please donā€™t forget to :+1: and leave a Review! :hugs:

I gotta say, Iā€™m so glad I have some magic beans (Anxiety pills) because some parts had me scared. Yes yes, laugh it up lol

This game turned out to be so much more than anticipated. The mystery alone is worth all the money. The rest even more.

I did B first then J+R (Twice, because Iā€™m weak lol), than did R , followed by J. Only have S to do.

I think the Joker MC is my favorite so far, everytime I play as one no matter what game they make me laugh so bad, and my soul laugh along. It was so perfect in every way.

@lacunafiction you may wanna provide your best cookies along this game, because reading about all the food talk in the game, had me munching like hell :grin:

I did go to the grocery to get some sure, but imagine if my place was EMPTY?! What then? Starvation that is what!

Somoene up there asked you where was Fernweh on the map, I concurre! We need to know, please tell me it is in Canada. I donā€™t care if its in middle of nowhere, Canada is in middle of nowhere in case you donā€™t know Lol

I need those 3 (B,J,R) in my LIFE! So, where are they on the map?

Urgh, I wanted to hug them. Why this game is lacking in Hugs huh?

Anyway, this was an amazing ride. Again, Congratulation on the release!

Waiting for Book 2 gonna be torture, but so worth the wait.

Meanwhile, Iā€™ll be sure to pester you with Questions! hey, the game is released and you and the others were tight lipped because pout they were all beta testerā€¦

No more! Time to Poke you all! :wink:

P.S: Alsoā€¦Bowser I laughed too much at that one alone :rofl:

5 Likes

@EvilChani @lo6otia Donā€™t forget that thereā€™s a very big reason why the romances donā€™t go anywhere yet: the MC isnā€™t planning to stay in Fernweh (sucks to be them, I guess), and none of the ROs feel like theyā€™re into one-night stands, so theyā€™d be buildingā€¦ nothing. Except, you know (well, if you finished the game, I mean).

19 Likes

Just had to write here how much I love this game!! Been lurking in the forum for a while but I devoured the whole book in one reading yesterday, so congrats on the release and all the positive reception Iā€™ve seen!! While I love a lot about the Book the mystery/horror aspect is so well written and such a good fit for this kind of format keep up the good work! :smiley:

Also Iā€™m sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone know if there is gonna be an achievement guide or smth like that later on? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You can get one injury in Ch. 6 if you resisted most or all of the house fire dream (resisted twice or thrice), and you can get another one in the the final boss fight if you donā€™t have the right stats (fairly self explanatory what stats correspond to what) or pick the last two choices. Those are the two I found. There are probably more. This is of course not counting the dream injuries..

3 Likes

The fact that are different name suggestions for the dog based on which RO route weā€™re in is absolutely adorable

8 Likes

Iā€™m surprised Ruby didnā€™t name the dog after a Lipstick or her favorite car :grin:

Which name did you like the most?

3 Likes

ā€¦I read lipstick of her favorite car and was very confused.

10 Likes

now I wish I made that punā€¦

Pout

Ruby with a huge lipstick in her Trunk for her car :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, Angelique might actually have her own lipstick nowā€¦

6 Likes

I only played B and J, Waffles is my favorite, letā€™s see the others :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My headcanon is that Ruby only wears the lipstick Ruby Woo from MAC (actually, this is my favorite lipstick color too)

7 Likes

if I had a dog named thatā€¦Iā€™ll be hungry everytime I call them :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, Evie had all of them except S listed as romances and she was pretty awful. Maybe the MC is too charming for them or enchanted them somehow :smiling_imp:
Iā€™m happy you found the evil playthrough interesting. I was pleasantly surprised myself when I tried it.

Yeah, I also like Joker MC very much, all the puns are hilarious.

OK, where are the Questions? You got some funny theories back then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Bowser is great!

Yeah, Iā€™m not forgetting that, but I still think R is someone who would go for some kissing and making out just for the fun of teasing MC.

Aurora :green_heart:

5 Likes

Personally, I liked Aurum best. Remind me a bit of Autumn season.

Yeah, Questions:

1- Think someone can explain the stuff about Ruby Mom toward the end. That whole Meeting stuff?

2- Also, I hate her guts. Seriously, she is such a stuffy, condescending Biatchā€¦I wanna Bitach-slap-her into Oblivion. R deserve so much better.

3- Whats the 1st letter of the waitress name? Its driving me Bonkerā€¦also, how creepy is she? Like geezā€¦tell me how evil you are with a Smile. And Vindictif!

4- Soā€¦.the Monster in the forest. Theories, anyone? Monster donā€™t justā€¦come from thin air. Honestly, at first I though that was ya Grand Pa then I remembered they actually found a body. Then when I learned that R dad diedā€¦now Iā€™m wondering if that was him we killed?

5- Also, how come we donā€™t get closure about the kid? All that adventuring and we donā€™t even get How did he end up in a stoopid Pod!

6- and Bowserā€¦suspiciousā€¦she is in Cahoot with the Board I tell you!

7- Jane gonna be chief of Police by the end, mark my word! Sexy Chief of Police too!

8- I want S mom to adopt me, can we do that?

9- B is so cuteeeeeā€¦

10- Iā€™m out of questions so rumble rumble rumbleā€¦

11- Oh here one! Luna! Post Pics of those Cakes in ya games! :rofl:

12- Oh wait I got another Question Yo Honor! So, the Forest is wellā€¦not haunted, but Alive? I meanā€¦the stuff in your dreamsā€¦WTF was that? That was some good Weed man LOL

13- Oh and in the end, when B start running down the roadā€¦WTF was that? Was there 2 B there?

14- and the ā€˜You really didnt think it was easyā€¦to leaveā€™"ā€¦I didnt wanna Live! I wanted more pancakeeeeeeeeeeee lol so jokes on ya Monster :joy:

3 Likes

Massive spoilers, OBVIOUSLY.

1- We donā€™t know everything yet, but my current theory is that the Board is fully aware of the genus loci (a spirit of a place) and of the inability (and lack of the citizensā€™ desire) to leave Fernweh. They stay in power, Fernweh doesnā€™t die off like so many small towns, and the genus loci keeps being entertained. If you think this is massively fucked up, well, itā€™s because it is.

2 - This is not a question. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 - IIRC, itā€™s M.

4 - Either a manifestation of the forest thatā€™s been corrupted by the genus loci, or created by genus loci itself.

5 - I presume he was just wandering through the forest and got et.

6-11 - Also not questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 - Pretty sure itā€™s the Fernweh genus loci.

13 - Itā€™s a loop, which Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the courtesy of the Board and their little new city sign. Itā€™s now impossible to leave Fernweh, even if you want to. Walk away from Fernweh and you get teleported to inside the city limits.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been calling the genius loci the Fernweh spook. I think I like genius loci better.

3 Likes

WTF is a genius lociā€¦

Is it like in the game, or a word you two stitched together for fun?

1 Like

It is neither:

TL;DR: Romans (and the Greeks before them) were animists who believed everything had a spirit, like rocks and trees (thatā€™s what dryads are, for example). This includes actual places.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll give it a good read when my head isnā€™t hurting.

But what about the Ourobouros thingy?

1 Like

I gave the puppy a custom name after a character in one of my favorite games: Barkspawn

As for @E_RedMark questions, here are my thoughts:

1. I suspect that the town is run by the occult who sacrifice town members for dark rituals. I think it could probably have something to do with reincarnation based on the symbolism referenced and how death doesnā€™t bother them.

2. personally i liked her, one of the more interesting side characters because I think its sets up interesting conflicts for the future. Iā€™m a little surprised the author chose to make her reactions player determinant and by extent making her kinda a main character. I suspect its because it allows for a branching redemption arc for those who want it, while allowing her to remain an antagonist for those who prefer that. Personally I kinda like the idea of a redemption arc or even making her have kinda her own goals apart from the council since that could set up an interesting 3 way chess game between the player, her, and the council where you can choose which faction to support.

3. no idea, avoided at every opportunity. Iā€™m going to guess Igor is his name so ā€œIā€ lol.

4. I think this is setting up a twist that the monster was good all along in future books. Or on ā€œyourā€ side. I have a feeling that he was planted by the grandfather because of the tools you find in his house and shed and the fact that he had a book that Sofia took about monsters and stuff right? The ā€œdemonā€ possessing you seems to delight in you cruelly killing it so that also makes me suspect this twist since the grandfather seems to be opposed to this ā€œdemonā€.

5. I think its implied that the ginger is aligned with the bad guys based on what he said after you ā€œrescueā€ him. Iā€™m pretty sure we are supposed to assume that he willingly went into the pod as a lure for the MC. He probably wouldnā€™t have minded ā€œdyingā€ and it seemed like the death was going to be painless.

6. Probably, although I donā€™t think her character makes much sense tbh.

7. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this is character determinant. for example if the MC chooses to join the town and their cult, that happens. If the MC ends up deciding to fight it, I would be surprised if that ending has them burning the town to the ground and leaving with the surviving allies to a new town. I would be surprised if it happened midway though, as I think anyone in that position would need to be indoctrinated to whatever the cult is doing, and I doubt the story will make Jane/James an antagonist to some of the characters.

8. I am not sure about ā€œhauntedā€. I think its probably like demon possession or some sort of occult thing.

9. I see it as a loop. magic?

3 Likes

I think the Ouroboros is a reference to the way Fernwehā€™s limits loop in on themselves, as you can see at the end of the Book.

5 Likes