The English Thread

If used when departing from a meeting “Later” is a shortening of “See you later”. If there’s another situation you’re thinking of you’ll need to explain.

I still don’t get it :confused: why did Elio and his family make fun of it when Oliver said “Later”?

It is very casual and informal. The excessive use of “Later” made Oliver sound flippant, perhaps even unconcerned or entitled, and very much the American stereotype.

I prefer the book. :wink:

Thank you :smile: The movie makes me feel so sad that I couldn’t think about reading book :joy:

Is the meaning or usage of “then” and “than” different in certain countries or do they have different uses I don’t know about? I’ve seen people use “than” when I’m sure it should be “then” and vice versa. I don’t have any specific examples to show right now though, sorry

Not as far as I know. It’s just an exceedingly common error people make, similar to it’s/its.

Please help me to clarify and distinguish these four words

• restrict
  • constrict
  • restrain
  • constrain

And did I use these words correctly in sentences bellow?

• In the past, women were CONSTRAINED to pursue higher education.
  • This regulation will ALLEVIATE impact of promotional activities on customers and subsequently RESTRAIN excessive purchasing.

Restrict-to stop from happening or going someone
Ex. A restricted place none can enter
Constrict-to take away or strain
Ex. A python killing it’s prey
Restrain-to stop someone from doing something
Ex. Restraining a criminal
Constrain-same as constrict
Also no the sentences are not right sorry friend english is very hard to learn appaluse for trying to

Thank you. Can you suggest some words for me to correct those sentences? I couldn’t find the proper ones for those content.

Thank you. I had searched in dictionary before I asked, but I still coudnt understand properly (and that’s why I asked). For example, in my second sentence, according to Blank’s comment above, “restrain” is not right and I dont know why. In oxford dictionary it says “restrain” means to stop the thing is growing from becoming larger as restrain inflation so why cant it be restrain excessive purchasing.

Restrict - to control something, usually with the aim of limiting.

Constrict - to tighten. In less literal useage can refer to strict limitations

Restrain - to hold immobile or hold something back. Restraints = handcuffs, etc

Constrain - to severely limit, or to force action along severely limited lines. (does not have the same ‘tighten’ meaning as ‘constrict’)

As for the sentences:
‘Constrain to’ isn’t quite the right useage there - it would suggest the women were being forced into higher education rather than the opposite.
"In the past, women were…
…dissuaded from (if they could go for higher education but it was very frowned upon)
…prevented from (if they literally couldn’t)
…restricted from (if they technically could but it was difficult for them)

‘Alleviate’ sounds ok. ‘Restrict’ might be better than ‘restrain’ as it sounds a little off to me :thinking:

Hope that helped! :smile:

Thank you. That really helps :smiley:

Because English is oh so weird, this sentence actually means “women were forced to get a higher education.” Being constrained from doing something means there are barriers preventing you from doing it; being constrained to do something means you must do it.

Your second sentence looks fine to me.

Edit: whoops, somehow missed Scribblesome responding more helpfully!