The English Thread

Do you like what I named it or…

I think it does help but the downside about that is the person you ask might feel superior to you. Alao i think people who does that is the modest people (mostly). And people who feel superior is the arrogants (again, mostly).

One of my teachers* :grin:

Lol I’ve saw many people, including native speaker, use that too (on internet of course). So I wondered whether my teacher was right or not.

People are, instead of is, and people do, instead of does. :smile:

The sentence is in Present Perfect, so the verb’s different form (Past participle), “seen” should be used. :smile:

Well, I found a job which I can spend time on.

I really appreciate your help. This way can help me to improve my English skill :laughing:
I could write more correctly when it’s slower. However you guys reply quite fast, so I have to increase my speed :smile: don’t have time to recheck grammar. And that’s good :laughing:

That’s good to hear. Though i thought my english was pretty good since i enrolled to a British school. Subjects i was taking were biology, chemistry and maths…

A little experience

At first i was worried about the academic side of it. Then it turned out the social side is the hardest part. I was okay with understanding my subjects but when it came to social life, it was a disaster. I found myself not interacting with people because i was sort of slow and most of the times i wouldn’t get what they’re saying because of the accent.

But you know what, a month was enough. I stayed back and observed, listened for a month, then i started to actually join the conversations and i saw they weren’t judgemental about me being slow or have them repeating. They got that i was a non-native and i saw support, most of the times i learned from them—unintentionally. It’s all about confidence and talking without fear of being judged, then it all comes naturally.

I think it’s crucial to live and talk and thats the best way to improve language.

It sounds a bit archaic. I think most Brits are more likely to say “put that down to” than “write that off to” nowadays.

As a native Englishman I’d say use of “put that down to” and “write that off as” are dependant on context.

To write something off is to dismiss it.

I agree with @LordOfLA. ‘Write that off as’ is a more dismissive way of saying ‘put that down to’. In this case I think they’re trying to say “I’m never going to get it, but I want it anyway and I guess the reason is modesty or stupidity”

That sentence in the first post is very badly worded and confusing to me though anyway. I’m not sure how you can modestly covert someone else’s stuff as that kind of implies something like jealousy or self entitlement.

This sentence is wrong. Don’t learn from it. It changes tenses (Second-person “When you read his statement…” to First-person “that I coveted his plantation house…” then back to Second-person “you can write that off to…”) halfway through. The only way this statement would be grammatically correct would be in a conversational context, where someone would be saying it to you, and even that wouldn’t make much sense.

Modesty isn’t used correctly here; modesty is the quality of being moderate, limited, and avoiding of impropriety or indecency. To write something off as something is to dismiss it as something. It is usually written in either a negative or indifferent light, though the subject (the thing that is being written off) is always regarded as being unimportant.

TL;DR: You can’t make sense of this sentence because this sentence doesn’t make sense.

It looks like a number of people are struggling with the context of this sentence.
Google shows that it’s from The Vampire Lestat, by Anne Rice.

Ah, that makes much more sense with the context! So, the narrator is being sarcastic - the other guy says that the narrator made him a vampire only for his house, and the narrator is saying that to believe it was that rather than Louis’ looks, he’d need to be either modest or stupid.
(Sorry @Jacic! ninja’d you)

That actually makes more sense in context. It’s Lestat talking about the man he turned into a vampire. He’s saying that Louis’ level of modesty prevented him from seeing that Lestat thought he had potential/was something special and he thought the only reason why he would have made him a vampire was because Lestat wanted something from him (in this case the plantation). Because Lestat is stating this isn’t the reason, it’s either that or that Loius was too stupid to see that wasn’t the reason which Lestat thinks is less likely.

I’ve already understood that, however after read what you wrote I have another question. Why the author used “write that off” instead of “put that down to”? Did it make the lines sound more sarcastic? Or she just liked to write that?

I’ve already understood that, however after read what you wrote I have another question. Why the author used “write that off” instead of “put that down to”? Did it make the lines sound more sarcastic? Or she just liked to write that?

It’s the same as we said above. It’s just a figure of speech that is often a dismissive way of saying “put that down to” as in it’s probably due to that, and isn’t really important or worthwhile enough to continue to warrant serious further investigation into it. The two phrases have a slightly different emphysis.

If you look at the phrase “to write off…” it kind of gives you an idea.
Like the car was a write off- the car was damaged enough that it wasn’t worth putting the time and money into trying to fix it.
The debt was a write off/ you wrote the debt off- you accept you’ll never get the money you’re owed back, so don’t continue to try.

Basically it’s acknowledging something and then dismissing it as something not worth the time or expense to persue further. In this case I think it’s Lestat kind of flippantly/dismissively saying, I reckon the whole misunderstanding probably occured because Louis was overly modest rather than just stupid, but hey, it’s not like I’m going to continue digging into it as in the end what’s that going to change for anyone? This is just my opinion on what I suppose was going on in his head.

Thank you. I get it now :smile:

I just have watched Call me by your name. Great movie I must say. There is something I’ve been wondering.
Is saying “Later” impolite?