The English Thread

You can see it since it shows a red pencil/marker which you can press to see what the original post was before the edit.
Yeah, lol, I was confused as to why modest people would bring down one’s mood.

We can rename this thread to the “English Language” thread.

Or to Help plz me eng bad

Lol. But seriously, I haven’t seen a thread dedicated to the English Language here on the forums.

Yeah, I’d always consider modesty a positive trait. The only thing I can think is that he’s actually talking about himself, rather than the other person. For example:

“The reason I told this man that I admired his house so much is because I was being modest about my own house, not because I was stupid enough to imply that I wanted to take his house.”

But I really don’t know if that is the case or not.

That could be really helpful. I sometimes fall in suspicion about how to use a word or the exact antonyms of them. So yes, this thread has a nice potential to help out people!

Y̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶u̶"̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶m̶o̶u̶r̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶u̶r̶,̶ ̶e̶t̶c̶!̶
That is so.

Oh now I get it. :laughing:
Yes I think that’s the reason why I can’t understand the content :laughing: what does modesty means in that setence? Why does blame someone for taking your house is modest?

Modesty can also be used to express "to put nicely."
Someone burnt down your house.
Normal people: You’re getting sued.
Modest people: I guess I deserved it…
But still, modesty can mean to “level down”, put it nicely, easier than it is.

Oh, british found! (20)

Can I ask why we shouldn’t remove ‘u’? In the dictionary both ways are correct

Haha, no, actually. I am not British nor do I have a family member who is British. I just get annoyed when people say “why do you add an extra u in words?”. Obviously, the u isn’t added, it is removed because it were the British who made the words as it is now in the first place.
Edit: I don’t actually add any "u"s in words so that’s ironic.

It’s a joke. Both forms are correct. However, you can see the post above me as to why I did that.

I totally understand the sentence now :grin: thank to you all :grin:

It’s either thank you all, or thanks to you all.

Oh and mention “thank you”.
One of my English teachers said if I ask for someone’s help, I shouldn’t say “Thanks in advance” (We usually say that in our language) because it’ll make the person that I ask feel like they kind of have to help me. Is that true?

@Hoang_Dieu would you mind changing the topic now so we can use this as a general english thread? That would be awesome :grin:

Maybe rename it to the “English Thread”.

Lol, I end that sentence with every ask of aid on the internet. I don’t use it in real life though. Yeah, if you say it in real life you’re kind of pressuring them onto helping you. When I do that in the internet, I mean that every attempt of help is appreciated.

Could you give me some suggestions?
English Thread is too short. We need at least 15 characters.