The English Thread

You can see it since it shows a red pencil/marker which you can press to see what the original post was before the edit.
Yeah, lol, I was confused as to why modest people would bring down one’s mood.

We can rename this thread to the “English Language” thread.
:smile:

Or to Help plz me eng bad

Lol. But seriously, I haven’t seen a thread dedicated to the English Language here on the forums.
HERESY!

Yeah, I’d always consider modesty a positive trait. The only thing I can think is that he’s actually talking about himself, rather than the other person. For example:

“The reason I told this man that I admired his house so much is because I was being modest about my own house, not because I was stupid enough to imply that I wanted to take his house.”

But I really don’t know if that is the case or not.

That could be really helpful. I sometimes fall in suspicion about how to use a word or the exact antonyms of them. So yes, this thread has a nice potential to help out people!

Y̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶u̶"̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶m̶o̶u̶r̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶o̶u̶r̶,̶ ̶e̶t̶c̶!̶
That is so.

Oh now I get it. :laughing:
Yes I think that’s the reason why I can’t understand the content :laughing: what does modesty means in that setence? Why does blame someone for taking your house is modest?

Modesty can also be used to express "to put nicely."
Example:
Someone burnt down your house.
Normal people: You’re getting sued.
Modest people: I guess I deserved it…
Jk.
But still, modesty can mean to “level down”, put it nicely, easier than it is.

Oh, british found! (20)

Can I ask why we shouldn’t remove ‘u’? In the dictionary both ways are correct

Haha, no, actually. I am not British nor do I have a family member who is British. I just get annoyed when people say “why do you add an extra u in words?”. Obviously, the u isn’t added, it is removed because it were the British who made the words as it is now in the first place.
Edit: I don’t actually add any "u"s in words so that’s ironic.

It’s a joke. Both forms are correct. However, you can see the post above me as to why I did that.

I totally understand the sentence now :grin: thank to you all :grin:

It’s either thank you all, or thanks to you all.
:smile:

Oh and mention “thank you”.
One of my English teachers said if I ask for someone’s help, I shouldn’t say “Thanks in advance” (We usually say that in our language) because it’ll make the person that I ask feel like they kind of have to help me. Is that true?

@Hoang_Dieu would you mind changing the topic now so we can use this as a general english thread? That would be awesome :grin:

Maybe rename it to the “English Thread”.

Lol, I end that sentence with every ask of aid on the internet. I don’t use it in real life though. Yeah, if you say it in real life you’re kind of pressuring them onto helping you. When I do that in the internet, I mean that every attempt of help is appreciated.

Could you give me some suggestions?
English Thread is too short. We need at least 15 characters.