“The Luftwaffe can’t bomb us if we are within fifteen feet of their own men.”
That was the crux of Chuikov’s whole defensive scheme in Stalingrad.
- Hug the enemy.
- Lure the Panzers into narrow streets where we can hit them.
- Make the Germans feel as if they are living under the barrels of the Soviet soldiers.
- Hope that 3/10 soldiers coming down the Volga make it.
- If Vasilevesky doesn’t give me enough ammo roar until he gives me a week’s supply.
- Hope that you don’t actually all have to die in Stalingrad.