The Day After Ever After: A Cinderella Story (First draft entirely complete as of 7/10/22, latest update 8/7/22! Word count is 207,342 including commands. Releasing 11/3/22!)

Mortimer is my meager attempt at a BioShock Infinite connection between my stories. He was in NPT as well, and before that was in my notes and such for the NPT novel, most of which would have been in NPT 2: The Hoard. There is always a Mortimer, he is always into pushing radical new tech, and he is always very flexible in his allegiances.

Great idea for Pat (I can just add a reference to him having watched the Prince since he was in short pants or something) and I am thrilled someone saw Dark New Day. I was worried I wrote all those words for virtually nobody. Didn’t stop me, of course.

I’ll check out those typos in the next couple days! Free preview weekend for Xfinity, so writing may temporarily take a backseat to finally watching The Suicide Squad and Nobody without having to shell out for a lame service like HBO Max.

3 Likes

Oh, so that’s why the expensive, demanding, but competent STEM tutor in TPS was called “Mortimer Laslo”!

2 Likes

That’s right, I did have him in there! I forgot about that.

3 Likes

I rarely say this, but it’s time for a little proper research. Not an unpleasant read, at least. Was fully unaware crossbows could penetrate full armor.

8 Likes

The race between weapon-smiths (crossbow and gun) and armor-smiths was a deadly spiral of one-upmanship. It really did not end until the 18th century, and some say is even ongoing today with the new armor of Kevlar etc. :wink:

9 Likes

I am still not understand the pact between the kingdom and the fairies ? what is the pact talking about, can someone simplify it , why it is so important ?

3 Likes

Sure! The short answer is that in this fairy tale world where wishes can come true, that is a threat to the people who rule countries. They have no interest in allowing for people to ‘wish’ their way into power. So most of the countries have a Contract or some other agreement that means no one can wish to be a royal, to have a royal fall in love with them, so on and so forth. That is what is stolen later in the story. If you fail to get it back, it allows someone to make a deal with a demonic sort to become the new king.

6 Likes

but the royal still can fall by revolution right ? so if the revolution win then the pact is null/voided right ?

1 Like

Correct. It provides no protection from plain old revolution. If that is successful, this Contract ends and the fae would make a new one with whoever ended up in control, assuming they wanted it.

1 Like

Ah i see so it only defend the ruling family from people who “WISH” to be royal but not from revolution and Invasion. Got it.

1 Like

Yep, pretty much exactly.

any news about the game ?

1 Like

Thanks for checking! It’s still chugging along. I have about 25,000 words in the next chapter that are not yet in Dashingdon. My love for endings is officially out of control. I have no idea how many there are, or how many hundreds or thousands of words are now tied into endings that not many readers will see. There’s likely as ‘few’ as a dozen endings written, or as many as 25, and all of these are premature end states (or connected to the Velius/Dark New Day path, which has no epilogues and should now be completely finished on my end). I hope to finish this chapter soon, and the epilogues should be decidedly shorter. I hate how long it all is taking me, especially since I am feeling that late-story desire to switch off and write something else (Grandparenting Simulator, in this case, although my fifth story is also percolating right now, a potential alternate history/presidential tale). But plodding and even glacial as my pace may be, we will persevere. And this story will be finished. Hopefully in time to release around when that Disenchanted comes out on Disney+. Seems like a good tie-in.

18 Likes

I am curious to know what the President’s story is. If you don’t mind, could you please let me know?

2 Likes

Tentative title is Dear President Hamilton…

Just eradicate the Reynolds pamphlet from existence and then go from there in a world in which Alexander Hamilton has just been elected America’s fourth (maybe fifth? Need to research a lot of things if I do this one, and among those is when he would have theoretically run) President. Safe to say that if he hadn’t been disgraced, he would have found better things to do than troll Aaron Burr and might have had a real shot at it. This would have all the usual options for a presidential game with the added fun of well-known historical figures and a chance to do all sorts of wonky stuff, like emancipate the slaves decades early or push the country back into a monarchy.

5 Likes

Sounds interesting. Which would you like to start with, the grandparents simulator?

3 Likes

Oh no, that’s why I call Hamilton my fifth story. This is my third, and unless I simply prove unable to write it, Grandparenting will be fourth.

3 Likes

Thank you for teaching me.

1 Like

I am coming dangerously close to finishing this last chapter before the epilogues, which is already the largest chapter I have written in my life at 34k words and counting. But I have an important question, and that means poll time!

Do y’all think the name of the country should remain ambiguous as it has been, or should I make it a customizable name selected by the reader?

• Leave the country’s name vague!
  • Give this nation a customizable name!
  • Pie!

0 voters

2 Likes

New (and penultimate) chapter is up! Longest one I ever wrote. Let’s not do that again.

Only epilogues remain and then the first draft is done. I expect some bugs with something this size, so please report them when found and I will have my flyswatter at hand.

17 Likes