The Beastie Watch (WiP) - Updated 25 September

Not gonna say that I hate that song, it’s just not my type tis all…I prefer “Shine Supernova” and I dunno who it’s by because no don’t bother checking the album backs.
Anyway back on topic guys.

My height just gave me advantage. My height just gave me advantage.

This game is the bee’s knees. I think I’m going to play a few dozen more times and then rave about how much I love it.

6 Likes

Updated!

Most of the changes are in the introduction and first four chapters.

Alpha change notes:

• Added an option to view stats during battles.
  • Added some additional character development and new scenes, particularly in the first four chapters.
  • Fixed some minor bugs (thank you, helpful alpha testers!)
  • Edited the first half, again.
  • Re-wrote the prologue, also again.
  • Word count: 173,000

Nota bene: The new personality stats have only been implemented in the first four chapters and introductions. I hope to add them to the rest of the game during October…Meanwhile, thank you all for your patience and support!

14 Likes

Holy Jesus I’ve been playing this game non stop for the last… like, four hours. How is this thread not hopping? This game is the best. It’s my fave. Fiogan, I swear to god, I’m ready to offer you my first born child. Why are you so clever and funny???

Oh god, I’m so tired. Before I crash, four things. 1. Rascals are the best class ever and your world building is, like, out of this world. 2. Edie is the sweetest and I love her so thanks for that. 3. Your fight scenes are so clever I actually read them. AAAAAND 4. When will Reggie admit he’s completely and utterly in love with me???

11 Likes

High praise, my word, thank you! And coming from a fellow author whose writing I really respect–I’m flattered, goodness. I’m so pleased you liked Beasties, and its silly, playful, between-the-Wars world.

I’ve two small people on tap already here on my end, so with the third we’ll just begin a literary society that will take over the world; how’s that?

I. Thank you! I owe the Rascal class to @Lordirish and @poison_mara (and the other judges who decided on the “Poisonous Intent” theme)–it wouldn’t have occurred to me otherwise, I don’t think!
II. I enjoy Edie and all her sides so much; I’m pleased you love her too. I actually have a new picture of her from my artist, which I’ll share below for you all (it’s half of a new illustration for the game).
III. I’m delighted! I don’t like fighting in games much myself, honestly–this is another result of hearing ‘poisonous intent’ and thinking ‘1930s electropunk DnD parody would fit this!’ I hope the next battle will be fun, absurd, and generally too.
IV. If you want to know and don’t mind spoilers, drop me a P.M. and I will share the secret answer to this question…

8 Likes

The illustration:

By E. Lewis Martel, whose art is also on Tumblr (content warning: artistic nudity and occasional graphic violence).

10 Likes

She’s so cute! They’re so cute!

Aw, man, my two favorite nerds in a bar. What could be better?

2 Likes

If Anthony was there, too, being even cuter, obviously. :blush:

5 Likes

@Fiogan lol You should change your wip name to teddy jelly .lol. I was thinking what game is the beasty thingy? Until you named me lol. Oh that’s the teddy jelly. I am so terrible with names. Well I will give you feedback later

5 Likes

I love this so much, everything abt is so lovely? I especially enjoy the interior dialogue! Everything is so immersive, the characters are almost immediately engaging and endearing, I honestly just want to speak exclusively in heart emojis.
Reggie is so cute! :heart: me back, please.
(if there’s smth wrong with posting on a W.I.P thread after it’s been inactive for some time, I’m sorry!)

4 Likes

This WiP is still active, the author is just busy with her “work” work - she is still writing new material for Beasties as we type this… but priorities dictate she focus elsewhere for the time being.

3 Likes

I think the kind mods could let this slide…
makes puppy eyes at all the mods

Was the Aug 1st the last update? Or did I miss a sneaky update?

1 Like

I think there was a minor update for some bugs but I think that’s it…

The title of the thread says September 25, which sounds correct to me.

2 Likes

lol Sorry, didn’t see it,

2 Likes

Guys, could someone please tell me the age of all the characters coz I’m getting seriously confused and its driving me to the crazy.

1 Like

Ages of the characters

MC: 21+ (recent college graduate) :coffin:
Edie: 21
Reggie: 45 :older_man:
Anthony: 37 :ghost:
Janet: 28
Nikki: 25
Muriel: 34
Phil: ?
Clive: worked in at least one other watch, so whatever age they graduate + ? + 2 = ? :alien:
Beep-Boop: 25 I guess

7 Likes

@gia So glad you liked it! I really want this to be a fun, rollicking game with a warm (if eccentric) cast.

I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the characters–I’ve had a lot of fun developing them! Reggie was one of the first I designed, too.

@Jinx_the_Atomic_Cat Yes, the last public update was 25 September (thanks @Eiwynn) , and the change details are in this post! They’re also always available in the alpha dev notes–currently only visible from the first chapter, although I’ll fix that for the next update. They really should be available on the first page.

The new update does contain 10,000 words of new material, including some major changes in the first section. My next job, when I’m able to get back to Beasties (which I hope will be within a forthnight or so), will be to finish a battle scene and add some spying sections. Also more adjustments to the MC’s personality stats and flavour text.

@deusvult Thanks for listing the ages for @moonwalkerdragon!

Addendum to my official ages list:

MC: Varies! Not everyone accepts a degree from Adventurer’s College at the master’s level at twenty-three (two extra years for the Master’s degree in the various Adventuring classes–Edie is exceptional, in many ways). I did give this a mention in the opening scene, but I plan to flesh it out as well a bit. Due to the nature of the Beasties world, and the unchancy nature of Adventuring in general, a great many people take up the Rascal’s mantle a bit later.

My own head-canon for the MC: [spoiler]Anything between eighteen, for the exceptional genius early-graduate types, to thirty-five, for those who have either not had the opportunity nor the desire to read Rascal previously.

Much older than thirty-five might be a bit rough because of the combat elements, although I suppose forty-five is a reasonable stretch…Reggie’s rapidly nearing active Watch retirement, for instance.[/spoiler]

B00P-D33T!: Made in 1921, so it is 15 years old at the beginning of Beasties.

Phil: 15 (the equivalent of about 30 in human years)

Clivey: 103 (the equivalent of about 40 in human years). He had many careers before coming to Earth, and a few other Earth-side jobs before becoming a Watcher. Plus a gap between his time with the Watches.

Sal: 40 (the equivalent of about 25 in human years)

11 Likes

@moonwalkerdragon

Who is your favorite character so far? (:

2 Likes