The Battle of Hoag's Object (WIP) (I'm back again. No Updates yet, sorry lol, 8/23/23)

I’ve always been biased to the Destaria. I like to name it “Silphede” after an old arcade-style game.

Very happy to hear that :slight_smile:

Awesome. Thank you for trying it out!

Tiny Update (05/23/21)

Added new Character “Jorah Kastner” your ship’s medical doctor.
Added a “Medbay” to the ship, where you can heal yourself (for free) in between missions.

The “Debug Console” will now skip the introduction to your ship on exit so you can get straight to the game.

Working on a “DataBank” entry for Jorah in the stats menu.

2 Likes

Hello again friends.
Apologies for literally no updates in over a year (life’s a beach lol)

Yes, the game is still being worked on. No, not a whole lot of progress has been happening.

Lately I have been reworking the entire system for skill-checks, combat, item management, etc… which is all mostly behind-the-scenes work that doesn’t have much impact on the player’s/reader’s experience overall. In fact, if you barely notice any difference if at all, that means its working lol.

The good news is, completing these changes (which isn’t that far away, actually) should provide me an easier time with writing the story, meaning more progress hopefully more often, assuming I can stay motivated on it.

In other news, I’m extremely close to finishing the “evil” path for the demo mission, which will officially close up that mission in its entirety. But as I mentioned before, progress is currently on pause due to the big changes to the boring behind-the-scenes coding stuff.

Sorry for the wait, but thanks again for playing.

8 Likes

The post bump made me actually play it, and I do enjoy what’s here so far. I saw it a while ago, but thought it was dead so I didn’t play it before.

Also, how far are we located from Hoag’s Object? If we’re even in the same universe as real life (I assume so if a named real-world galaxy is there)

1 Like

Hoag’s Object is a real Galaxy! It is 612.8 million lightyears from Earth.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The most visible changes are to Ship Combat.

For starters, I’m simplifying the ship parts a bit. Currently, your ship has 2 different weapon parts. Their stats combine to form your ship’s offensive rating (how much damage you do). This feels like an unnecessary complication, both for me when coming up with stats for the weapons, and for players who would need to worry about maintaining two separate parts to keep up their ship’s damage. So I’m reducing it down to just one weapon per ship.

Also, there is your ship’s armor. Currently, your ship’s Armor part determines your ship’s health. Meaning if your armor only provides 15 points… you only have 15 points of health. This isn’t exactly a bad system, it just means I have to be constantly aware of how much damage I’m going to throw at you, which is a little tedious for me.

So instead, all ships will have 100 hit-points… however, your replaceable armor part will change the amount of damage you take. For example, the lowest tier of armor will deflect 10% of all damage. The highest (and most expensive) will deflect 50%.

It’s worth noting that, it’s possible to complete the entire game without changing your armor… you just have to be careful not to make too many bad choices when flying your ship.

Among other changes, I’m planning to add an option for “difficulty”. It won’t be in the works until everything else is in place, but this will be for readers/players that are either more or less fond of “stat-heavy” games. As it stands, there are A LOT of different stats to play around with in this game. Enabling a would-be “easy” mode will take a lot of the work out.

Players won’t have to worry about upgrading their equipment, and will be able to play through the entire experience with just the starter gear. There will still be a (albeit shortened) list of items they can choose from to change their play style at-will. So you get all the story with much less stat-work.

2 Likes

Yes, I know Hoag’s Object is real. That’s why I was asking where the game is set in relation to it.

Oh I see, I misunderstood! The game is set within the galaxy itself. There’s an entire backstory of how we (humanity) got there in the Stats Menu.

But a quick summary is: humans screwed up Earth, decided to leave on several giant “city” ships. One group of ships were headed towards Andromeda when they discovered a massive warp-gate which, once accidentally activated, brought them to a corresponding gate just within Hoag’s Object.

The events of this story take place roughly 2,300 years after humans landed on/in the galaxy, long after they established an Empire and became a dominant force.

Whoever built the gates remains a mystery. (And no, it isn’t a race of machines hell-bent on harvesting all life in the universe to make more even more machines)

Somehow this seems more plausible than purposefully settling Hoag’s Object. I mean, it’s scientifically fascinating to us, but not if you live there.

Yeah 600 million years traveling at the speed of light (assuming that’s even actually possible) isn’t the best human relocation plan, so It made more sense that we would stumble on something that accidentally transported us there.

1 Like

Changes have been applied to my local copy. I think I’ll finish up the evil path of the demo mission before updating the dashingdon files, optimistically within the next few days. It’s hard to say how far I’ll drag the path out for, so bare with me haha

Once this update is done and out I think my next move is either starting a new mission or get some dialogue for crew members aboard the ship.

I do have an outline and a solid chunk of content for a mission on my smartphone’s notes, and my plan with the crew’s dialogue is inspired by mass effect: getting opinions on the last mission and on the status of the overall goal (winning the war).

Also planned is relationship development between the MC and the NPC’s, adding a captain’s cabin with some fun easter-eggs/references, and potentially adding stat metrics for both Rebellion strength and Specter’s personal reputation (good/evil meter).

Obviously there’s a lot on my plate but I’ve been on a roll lately so we’ll see how much I can knock out before getting burnt out. Wish me luck :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

how big is our ship is it something like this

1 Like

In Star-Wars terms? Probably not much larger than Tantive IV. I mean, the thing needs to fit in a dock haha.

Maybe in the next game you’ll get command of a larger vessel following some promotion for winning the war…

4 Likes

Will we be able to join the United Galactic Empire

I had considered it as a potential path, but it would be an incredibly ambitious tangent from the current plan. As of right now it’s not something I’m prepared to undertake.

As the story is further developed I’ll probably have a better idea of how practical it would be to even attempt, but the odds aren’t looking great.

1 Like

Once I get the main story finished (which is a long way away) it might be something I’d go back and work out.

I’d rather try to get a polished narrative done first before trying to add more work onto an already overwhelming project.

Edit: I mean, now that I think about it, I can see a way of working it into the story without having to change the ending too much… Still, it’s not something I’m willing to dive into yet.

1 Like

Lol, looking through some of my old notes I found a funny sketch I actually forgot about.

Not really any spoilers here, just some dialogue I was working on for Roy:

4 Likes

Will be honest not sure if I’ve played the demo or not lol definitely long time ago if I did but your notes were freaking hilarious. :smiley:

Just got through demo and yep definitely recall it now and good as ever congrats.

1 Like