The Bastard of Camelot Announcement on post 3193

Morality is too ephemeral to classify with absolutes. What might be considered selfless in one era, or culture, may be viewed as selfish in another. I think Red of OverlySarcasticProductions on youtube managed to outline the subject very succinctly in a video on this very topic a while back. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

and weā€™re all the villain in someone elseā€™s story.

In terms of the attraction we can have for the villains in the stories, I think it comes from the fact that they are closer to us (readers, real people) they have flaws, desires, thoughts that are closer to us than what a hero is ā€œallowedā€ to have. Because theyā€™re often portrayed as a higher version of who we really are, able to always face their fears, to suppress their desires, whatever it is, that kind of thing. Basically, heroes are the embodiment of an ideal, where the villain becomes more reality. Oh and yes, between Loki and Thor, I choose Loki!

Exactly my face when I saw the question above. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Sooo Iā€™m not gonna lieā€¦ I was actually hoping assuming that Morgana wonā€™t be moving with Mordred to Camelot and we will just get some visits from time to time (was it just me?! :flushed:). But it looks like this plan is out of the windowā€¦ Drama Complicated itā€™s then. :joy:

9 Likes

Mordred will be an adult soon enough, and when that happens they can do what all kids with vengeful insane parents do, cut contact! Yay? Probably anyway, the fact that theyā€™re in the same castle will make it toughā€¦
Mordred could just refuse to talk to Morgana, again would be tough if they still want to keep in contact with Accolon, assuming heā€™s still around on occasion.

On another noteā€¦Being close to the ROs thatā€™s always a plus. :heart: :grin:

6 Likes

That seems unlikely, since if I remember correctly, Llama said that Morgana will hire people to kidnap you if you try to leave in Book 3. I doubt sheā€™ll ever allow a Mordred to live free of her as long as sheā€™s alive.

Maybe if she gets redeemed, but that sounds like something that can only happen if Mordred tries to stay close to her and push her in that directionā€¦

5 Likes

my Mordredā€™s sinister plot to thwart the prophecy by leaving Camelot and becoming a sheep farmerā€¦ doomed! :sob: the poor kid is never gonna have a normal life

10 Likes

Me too :sob: :sob:
I was kinda looking forward to Mordred alone life but again I can kinda understand why itā€™s necessary for Morgana to be there lol

3 Likes

Well less necessary and more something Morgana feels is necessary. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s kinda what I meant too it would be too much unlike her to just let Mordred live alone. Also it would be more difficult for her to control them if she was far away.

3 Likes

Think its a little more on the necessary side than most are considering. Yes, thereā€™s no denying Morgana is coming along partially to do her own scheming in some way and part of why Mordred is going to have a bit of a hard time there is partly due to her own actions making many view her child unfavorably.

But it should also be noted that Mordred will be going to the heart of Camelot, where Merlinā€™s influence is at its strongest and Mordredā€™s reputation is likely at its lowest. Arthur may be there and clearly wants to try to do better with Mordred, but he still may not have developed his own strength enough to be able to effectively protect Mordred in most cases from his own people and ESPECIALLY not from the most notable duo closest to him (Lancelot and Merlin). For all Morganaā€™s faults, I at least feel like Mordred is more likely to be protected to some degree with her around as they build up some alliances and reputation during their beginning time in Camelot as a young knight (even if she may not agree with how they do things).

I was a little surprised that Morgana was going to be staying in Camelot as well and that Arthur would have given the OK for that. But again, I could see why she might need to be there to some degree in the beginning.

We do have to keep in mind that there are going to likely be new readers coming in who have not seen the talks about the Arthur-Morgana matter due to coming along some time after it. So such questions will come along periodically due to that. :sweat_smile: As long as we avoid going deep in the rabbit hole, keep things relatively short and sweet, and point to past posts that give more info on those already talked about views though, it should be fine.

Merlinā€™s has certainly made sure thatā€™s the case in regards to Mordred. :laughing: Made sure theyā€™re seen as the villain of a whole kingdom.

My half asleep brain read ā€˜Lokiā€™ as ā€˜Lotā€™ and I could not decide if that line concerned me more than the thoughts on Merlin.

Yeah, she does give some interesting talks on that in regards to some of the tropes involved in her talks. Gonna put up a few of her talks on heroes and villains (really recommend anyone who hasnā€™t to check out Overly Sarcastic Productions; she and Blue do the talks on history, stories, trooes in a really engaging way).

Trope Talk Vids

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_Pi6OpNKU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRCMBAugII

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vs2TkXBYT9A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpZG8wh8d-0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpABx1NOIX0

Edit: I (Eiwynn) edited this post to put the vids all in a cutā€¦ please do so in the future when linking many things like videos or artwork in a row. Thank You.

10 Likes

So, in the light of this new information concerning the fact that Morgana is going to stay in Camelot with Mordred, who begins to think that itā€™s her who will reveal the story of Guinevere and Lancelot to Arthur? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

How could you think I would choose this horrible character! You hurt me deeply! :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

Well, that is the case in some of the versions (that Morgana is the one to reveal the affair to Arthur). Ironically though, that version often to!we happens less because of her being up to something (since she gets over her resentment of Arthur by that time) and more because she felt he deserved to know the truth once she herself learned about the matter.

Whether it will happen in this version of the story, hard to say. I feel like she may know something; may be more aware than Arthur about something involving the arranged marriage, if one takes how she briefly worded things to Arthur in that confrontation at the stables. But so much could possibly happen in Book 1 and the affair gets revealed at some point in Book 2. Guess it will depend on what manner of growth Morgana has gone through and if she has some partiular reason/motivation (good or bad) to drop this reveal on Arthur. :thinking:

Speaking of revealing things though:

I donā€™t hate Accolan myself and still stand by the view when one looks at the three major men in Mordredā€™s life (Arthur, Lot, and Accolan), he is arguably the best father figure Mordred has right now. And I canā€™t wait to have more family moments with him, especially when Arthur is in sight to see it.

That said, he is not without his own faults and has been keeping the secrets from Mordred (just as much as Morgana) as a parental figure. I do give him credit that once Arthur dropped the prophecy on Mordred, he did encourage Morgana to talk to Mordred about it. But he is still keeping shut about the full knowledge of whatā€™s going on (for currently unknown reasons) and it will be interesting to see how he reacts if Mordred gets angry/upset with him on his own part in the secrets and how he responds in turn to them.

Blame my 2am brain for reading that line wrong. :joy: and the fact that Iā€™ve been in the forums long enough to see that RO tastes can go inā€¦varying directions, to put it mildly.

7 Likes

As a player, I donā€™t have any particularly strong feelings towards Accolon either way. His dedication to Morgana annoys me (she doesnā€™t deserve it, as far as Iā€™m concerned), but heā€™s clearly made an effort to be a father-figure to Mordred, which is admirable.

I was about to list my Mordredsā€™ opinions of him, but then I realized I already did that (along with their opinions of everyone else), soā€¦I guess Iā€™ll just link that post if anyone cares?

Edit: I have a cake by my name. Holy crap, Iā€™ve been here seven yearsā€¦

16 Likes

In my opinion, of all the characters and adult figures present in Mordredā€™s life, the easiest to be excused is Accolon.
Morgana is manipulative and controller as hell, Arthur is a absent father surrounded by people who hate us, Lot is an asshole, Lancelot and Merlin? I think I donā€™t even need to sayā€¦
I love Accolon (for now), heā€™s chill.

4 Likes

Accolanā€¦

Of course I personally donā€™t hate Accolan, on the contrary I really like his character a lot and admire that he step in to be a father-figure to Mordred when none else would. But! Itā€™s a bit more complicated then this (for me anyway). Simply because I canā€™t really focus on Mordred/Accolan dynamic without throwing Morgana into this. Honestly, there would be no Mordred/Accolan without Morgana to begin withā€¦ She is still a very important factor in this relationship and in my personal opinion no matter how strong this bond is or will ever be, at the end of the day Accolan would always choose Morgana over Mordred. I canā€™t even blame him, feels logical. In the same time itā€™s quite fundamental difference maker for me tho and also one of the main reasons why I consider him a (very good! :hugs:) stepfather/father-figure for my Mordred but not a father (if this makes sense?).

Obviously, we didnā€™t get a chance to see this Morgana/Mordred/Accolan dynamic fullyā€¦ So who knows, Accolan might prove me wrong but for now this is how I see it. :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

Hopefully we can get some more big sis Junia. Iā€™m also curious about guinevereā€™s thoughts on mordred are?

5 Likes

Junia will be showing up again in Chapter 4, for Mordredā€™s 13th(?) birthday!

Guinevere is one of the people encouraging Arthur to meet Mordred, from what I recall, and just sees them as a child without putting much belief in the prophecy.

5 Likes

I feel similarly and itā€™s compounded by the fact that heā€™s cheating with his lordā€™s wife. I understand there are factors at play that make it so that the Morgana doesnā€™t place any value in that marriage ( and she shouldnā€™t feel like she needs to considering its obligatory nature ) but Accolanā€™s making an already difficult situation that much harder for everyone involved.

2 Likes

Right

Iā€™m looking forwards to meeting again with Junia, from the few interactions we had with her, she seems to be a very sweet person.

6 Likes