The Bastard of Camelot Announcement on post 3193

This is where I’m hoping to see him get mad, I said before how we need an angry Arthur, I’m hoping that this will be the catalyst, he’ll see some ass (bonus points if it’s Lance) picking on Mordred and just go all Pendragon on them. :fire:

13 Likes

Yas that would be so cool and especially if he gets angry at Lance because it shows to Lance that he’s picking his child, over his best friend and that if Lance hurts his kid again, there will be hell to pay for.

5 Likes

If I was my Mordred I will protend to cry if I see Arthur in order to make him feel gulty too.
Especially If im only protend to be close to Arthur.

1 Like

Elaine, training, dragon and Arthur getting a good dose of reality. Really looking forward to chapter 3.

13 Likes

You and me both. I’m waiting for Arthur to show some proper “backbone” for so long… Gimmeee angry Arthur Pandragon! :fire: Event like this could be a great catalyst to trigger even a sort of subconscious reaction to protect his child. Situation that will just “push” him to act without too much analysing and overthinking. :face_with_monocle:

17 Likes

You and me both. I’m waiting for Arthur to show some proper “backbone” for so long… Gimmeee angry Arthur Pandragon! :fire: Event like this could be a great catalyst to trigger even a sort of subconscious reaction to protect his child. Situation that will just “push” him to act without too much analysing and overthinking. :face_with_monocle:

I bet mad will be much closer ones he learn who cause this to happend in the first place.

2 Likes

Oof it felt so nice to shower Lancelot with water, take a cold shower and sit down you ass, nobody hurts Accolon on my watch.

I wonder if Arthur ever grow a backbone and actually take responsibility for his father’s actions and make thing right for people who suffered from his actions :thinking:

6 Likes

Unfortunately, there’s a good number of whos involved. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Merlin is the clear center of a lot of the issues that have come up and the root that definitely needs to be dealt with as soon as possible in whatever way possible. But that’s doesn’t let the other people involved off the hook with their own actions.

It is Lot who chooses to be cold to Mordred and does nothing himself when the people of Lothia follow his example (due to his bitterness toward Morgana rather than lack of awareness like with Arthur’s case). It is Guen and Lance who choose to take the risk continuing the affair even after Guen agrees to be arranged to marry Arthur. It is Lance who puts a strong weight on Merlin’s words and chose to straight up harm Accolan. And as undeniably awful a man Uther was and that Merlin was his main enabler, it still stands that many of his allies knew the horrendous things he choices and actively chose to turn a blind eye to them.

So Merlin may have planted those seeds of misfortune (enough to have his influence spread to the people he wants without it coming right back to him immediately), but it is the people themselves playing just as much a role by leaving or even taking the fruits of his labor rather than getting rid of them. The main root must be dealt with, but so must the plants that spread further from it (if that makes any sense).

I mean, I don’t feel the matter is as simple as Arthur fixing up everything Uther did (pretty sure Uther left many messes that people don’t have the guts to admit he left). And I feel that it would be really unfair for the young king to be held with the sole responsibility of fixing all the crap Uther had done; he may have the power now to possibly fix some things, but there’s probably only so much he really can mend and he was only a child when Uther was running around being a giant wazoo across the lands (heck, he pretty much lived a good deal of his life not knowing his blood connection to Uther or all the horrible things the guy has done). That’s like people trying to make Mordred responsible for all of the actions of Morgana has done, even the ones before they were born which likely will happen lets not kid ourselves; its not fair to the kid to have clean up all the messes the parents have made, especially when other factors were also involved.

Also, like I mentioned before, there’s more the one person who should be held with some accountable for the crap Uther had pulled and got away with and Arthur isn’t even close to be the first person in line for that (my opinion on the matter of course).

That’s just as beautiful as reading this:

Can’t tell which scenario I’m going to look more forward to seeing unfolding the most. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see. But my mind is having a bit of fun imagining what form the karma is going to take when it come knocking for the Lothia Duke (and possibly even Lothia itself).

It does feel like the knowledge of Mordred’s mistreatment from the people as a whole will hit harder for Arthur if he comes across it when they are still a child; seeing someone so young have to deal with the hostility of a town worth of people (or even larger and with many who are adults) could just hit him right in the gut with what Mordred dealt with daily since leaving Avalon and their reaction if he tried to talk with them about what he caught sight of might hit him with the reveal even harder. Suddenly, his adopted brother’s words aren’t just words: Arthur sees for himself the unintentional fate he left his child in with both his distance and (if he connects this part of the dots) his allowance of letting Merlin say whatever he wanted about Mordred and Morgana to the young king’s many subjects.

Of course, there’s no forgetting that Morgana’s actions as well have played just as much a part in making things in Mordred’s life difficult. Just goes to show that both parents have their own inner challenges to deal with if they want to start trying to mend the problems they caused with their own hands that Mordred ended up having to deal with.

Oh, my Female Mordred certainly has saved some words for Arthur after seeing his own actions during the tournament. And my Male Mordred is mostly out of tears and only filled with truths and hard-hitting observations now. :grin:

Arthur is definitely angry at Lancelot and the Knight Champion is going to hear that anger from the king’s mouth itself, according to @Rebelgirl. And one can imagine how pissed Arthur is going to be if his friend is direct about the fact that yes, he attacked Accolan to threaten the man to keep Mordred away from Arthur (especially if Arthur has had a good experience with Mordred so far).

Its always a experience for everyone involved when the nice characters finally lose their patience.

Considering he’ll be a little bedridden for a while, don’t think Lance himself will have the opportunity to be a direct jerk with child Mordred because of it.

Not that it will stop Lance from being overly harsh and cruel with Mordred once they’re a part of the knights though, I imagine.(especially If Mordred is going to deal with him being one of the teachers of the younger knights).

9 Likes

Well i didn’t mean, let’s make him a scapegoat, but you know, take responsibility for his father actions as well and actually start at least try to work to fix it, not alone, i imagine there will be people who will gladly help. It is better to actually start fixing stuff than just " Well it was my father who did it, not me, so i am guilt free" :thinking:

The list is defently extensive for people who need to fix their shit.
Lancelot, Merlin and other “plasant people” will defently have a stern lectures from me, along with couple of cold showers. :rage: :joy:

My Mordred will defently take responsibility for their mother actions and try to fix shit she did. I love Morgana, but it doesn’t mean i simply exuse all the messed up things she had done to other people. :thinking:

3 Likes

WHO?! Merlin & Lance are both asses. And as far as I can tell, that’s his inner circle lol.

2 Likes

Who? I mean if the king of the country has only Merlin and Lancelot, than damn poor baby :joy:

2 Likes

…Um… :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I’m a little doubtful on that end. Many of the ones who sided with Uther kinda sound like they want to pretend that the horrible things the old king had done never happened, even if there are lingering effects from his choices (just look at Lot). And Merlin certainly has done his own part to make sure Morgana in particular has very few people on her side to want to help her (not that Morgana’s temper and actions helped matters on that end). :sweat_smile:

But Mordred shouldn’t have to be the one to take responsibility for those actions; that responsibility should be solely Morgana’s. As admirable as it is for some Mordreds to do their own part to alleviate the damage their mother’s actions caused, it doesn’t really change the fact that Morgana should be the one doing that herself as their parent and the one who actually is responsible for whatever damages happened from her choices.

11 Likes

Thanks for going into trouble to find all the information, you really didn’t have to. But for a king, who supposed to be a good king and the king who supposed to be loved by people, is it gonna be hard to find allies to fix stuff, even if people rather forget? Maybe he is a good person in the end, but a bad king. :thinking:

Does he even want to be king? Maybe i will be Merlin’s worst nightmare and take the throne to actually start doing stuff to move things along, than let just shove it all in the corner and pretend it’s not there.

Yeah…nope. I want to actually take action, to do things together with their mother, than just sitting on my hands and remind myself that this is not my fault etc. This way i can actually do things for the better and give Morgana a kick to start change things for the better as well. Plus it will also help to show people change and gain their favor, so it’s plus plus for me :hugs:

I’d rather do things and possibly fail, than do nothing and wait for things maybe change :thinking:

1 Like

Because I want to avoid circular arguments on the matter, you don’t have to single out lines, or paragraphs you agree, or disagree with. The intent of this post is mostly to offer conjecture based on what we already know, and what some of us suspect.

For those who don’t want to read my many paragraphs long rant, their contents are carefully hidden under concise TL:DR single liners that accumulate into a three line paragraph that reads cohesively with all you really need to know about their contents.

Arthur's rule as king of his domain has been quite the ordeal for all of Camelot's allies, and holdings.

Not just in his ascent to the throne–which was a colorfully difficult time for the young boy expected to wear the mantle of a ruler before he was even sure he could lead–but in his relationships with the members of his court trying to push, and pull him in every conceivable direction at once. Or so it probably felt in hindsight to him.

Before his world was turned onto its head at the revelation of his birthright, he likely had much simpler dreams for his future. Everything piled on all at once after Merlin picked him up, to the point that I really can’t blame Arthur for reflexively wishing he could bury his head in the sand as the pressure climbed with each passing day. This is pretty normal for young teens on the cusp of adulthood, and is a pretty frequent theme in “coming of age” type stories.

His strife, while not a 1:1 match, parallels Mordred's own struggles.

Much of what Arthur will be able to do depends on Mordred’s input from now on. As previously pointed out, he can become a better king with help. Through Mordred–with the condition that Merlin is out of the picture, either through banishment, or whatever it takes to bring peace to the realm–Arthur’s potential allies can increase to include the “rebels”, and even Morgana. Arthur already has great allies in Sir Kay’s family, and his other knights. For what it is worth, he also has the loyalty of his people, too.

Lancelot is a turd.

But the one thing a lot of people here seem to believe about him that isn’t true is the idea that his affair with Guin somehow makes him disloyal to his king. That is not the case at all.

I’ll grant that this might seem hard to follow, but I reiterate: Arthur is his king. Them being friends is certainly a nice bonus, but Arthur is meant to speak to Lancelot from a position of authority. He’ll certainly be doing as much after what Lance did to Accolon. Guin and Lance are not disloyal to Arthur’s rule as king. They are not disloyal to Camelot for putting their more selfish personal desires before their friend.

Lancelot as a character has made over a decade’s worth of bad decisions, but when the affair itself comes to light, he won’t be putting up a fight if Arthur wants to send him away. He most likely won’t refuse if Arthur calls him back to serve his duties as a knight, either. Lance will put duty to his king, over indulging their friendship. It’s why he attacked Accolon, and why his eventual (potentially eventual!) acceptance of Mordred is hard won, but not grudging when it happens. Belief in Merlin’s words fuels many of the bad choices he’s made. Lancelot’s actions, despite how they hurt Mordred, are part of what it takes to make Arthur a better king. Arthur will acknowledge his own authority to rule by enforcing his words to Lance more sternly.

But putting duty before friendship is not a flaw in Lance’s character, as irritating as that might sound.

Took a bit of mental gymnastics to make these TL:DR one-liners flow nicely, let me tell you. :joy:

Anyway, conjecture. Not looking for an argument, or a circular debate. Just stating things as I see it. Agree to disagree if you don’t share my point of view. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Eh, I’m getting used to playing the part of Hermes delivering messages from another realm. :laughing: Especially when that realm may have some information or questions that hasn’t been brought up in the forum yet.

I would not go so far as saying that Arthur is a bad king; Camelot seems to be doing well under the new ruler and I don’t think he has many personal enemies like his birth father. He’s just a inexperienced one that doesn’t have too much confidence in some areas, which leaves him to rely and trust on the questionable advising of Merlin more than the half-fae sorcerer deserves (though it can’t be fully denied that some of that consul did benefit the kingdom).

Arthur could very likely gather the former allies of Uther and get them into gear to help fix some of the mess Uther may have left behind. He just needs a little more self-growth to be more confident and decisive to make his own calls without Merlin’s input.

I’m honestly not even sure anyone (besides his adopted family and maybe even Morgana herself in some way) has really asked Arthur that question. Most probably just heard Merlin spouting off another prophecy that involved Arthur being the next true king due to the blood bond with Uther and many (including Arthur himself, if a little reluctantly) went along with Merlin’s words to some degree, especially after Arthur came into possession of Clarent.

Kind of want Arthur and Mordred have a bit of a heart-to-heart with each other where Mordred can be one of the few people to honestly ask Arthur what he really wanted in his life and what his dreams used to be, now that you’ve brought it up.

There’s definitely no mistake many were dragging Arthur in different directions in the beginning and not often for the young king’s sake. Maybe it was even Merlin himself ‘protecting’ (I use that word VERY loosely) Arthur from other ambitious former allies of Uther that gave the sorcerer that edge he needed for the very young king to develop a strong trust and reliance on Merlin that would take years to shake off.

Merlin probably doesn’t even have to be banished or whatever else right off the bat. The more some Mordreds develop a good bond of some kind with Arthur (be it as his knight, his niece/nephew, or his child) and show best sides of themselves even while the winds are not really in their favor, the more people are going to doubt Merlin’s words and the less power the sorcerer’s words are going to have. Heck, Arthur showing to have faith and care for Mordred alone (along with Mordred pushing their mother to go through her own changes) could make many of subjects start questioning Merlin, which can greatly weaken the old half-fae’s influence.

Yes.

His turd levels aside, the Lancelot situation is kinda hard to fully judge right now (from my end at least), since I do want to see more of how Lance is in the story. And from the sounds of it from the Tumblr and how strong of a reputation the guy has in the eyes of the people, Lancelot did do a lot for Camelot in the end.

But the fact that both him and Guen did put their feelings before everything else would likely leave their (especially Lance’s) trustworthiness in question, from the eyes of Camelot and possibly Arthur himself. Might even do so from the supposed end where Lance was overcompenstating for that constant betrayal he was doing to Arthur by treating Mordred like the embodiment of the plague, which could bring obvious doubts from people’s end toward the Knight Champion’s ability to accurately judge things like threats when he (possibly) epically failed to do that in regards to good Mordreds for who knows how long (for all we know, Lance’s hardheaded views may extend for a while more even in the second book of the trilogy).

So doubt that Lance would possibly get a job return as a knight (unless something dire was going on and all hands were needed on deck) after one of his more major bad choices explode right in his face in front of both his king and the public. Of course, I could be easily proven wrong later down the line; who knows what the future holds.

8 Likes

I love Arthur… but just as I’m not very fond of being manipulated by Morgana, I also don’t want to beg at his feet for crumbs and fatherly love… but I will keep an open mind if he is willing to approach

What’s happened to him sucks, but Mordred is not to blame for any of this…
The only ones who owe him anything are Merlin, Morgana, Lancelot, and Genevieve.

6 Likes

Unless I’m forgetting something, the only thing that Morgana has done that has caused lasting damage is the curse on Arthur.
The issue is that lifting that Curse means that there suddenly isn’t anything stopping Merlin from just poisoning Mordred’s food.

2 Likes

I recommend looking through some of the past discussions on the forum and the Tumblr in regards the Morgana/Arthur matter and I will leave it at that (as it is a discussion that has cropped up one too many times).

There’s no denying Mordred’s well-being will become a gamble if the curse gets lifted and Merlin is once more able to get another Pendragon child from Arthur (one he likely would feel would be easier to manipulate than a Pendragon raised by Morgana).

That said, other factors may come into play that would make dealing with Mordred once the curse is lifted difficult for Merlin to execute. Including dealing with a Arthur who is more independent and assertive than he was in the past, a Mordred with many allies of all kinds, a population’s growing adoration for the underdog knight, Mordred just being a straight up stronger magic prodigy when compared to Merlin, and bunch of other things Merlin may be underestimating the value in or not into account.

10 Likes

And then what happened grampa?!

Well child, then Arthur became so enraged at the sight of the bullying of his only child that something inside him just snapped, and he destroyed all of Camelot with fire, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

9 Likes

is he inexperienced, though? he’s been king for more than 10 years, right? that’s a lot of time :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes