The Bastard of Camelot Announcement on post 3193

Just completed the demo, and, wow! I need more now! :sweat_smile: I really appreciate how much effort has gone into making Mordred as customizable as possible. Iā€™m also so happy to see the trans and non-binary inclusion! Itā€™ll be so interesting to see what Mordred does as they get older in terms of transitioning. And I love the variety of options in terms of shaping Mordredā€™s personality and relationships with others.

I love the characters because most of them leave me feeling conflicted. Like, I kinda hate Arthur (didnā€™t think was possible) because of how he treats Mordred like something heā€™s ashamed of. I get the possible political ramifications of recognizing Mordred as his child, but Arthurā€™s a toxic father just like his own dad was. I can appreciate that heā€™s trying, but the dynamic remains toxic.

Morganaā€™s obsession with vengeance seems to blind her to what is best for those around her (particularly her child). Though itā€™s nice to see cracks in her armor, where she wants to believe Arthur could love Mordred the way they deserve to be loved.

Gawain is the cutest! I mean serenading you! :sob: But Iā€™m also interested in Galahad. I sense a love triangle in the future.

And Iā€™m so happy Mordred can have non toxic and mutually loving relationships with Gareth and Accolon.

Also, wow, Lancelot is a douche! :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Anyone here seen the new trailer for The Green Knight? It looks pretty cool.

3 Likes

Really got me in an arthurian mood again!

1 Like

Thx for that info now I have something to watch at home it look pretty nice :+1:

I read this last night and I just loved growing up as Mordred! My heartstrings have been pulled so many times that I keep forgetting Mordred is just ten. I read Le Morte for a class this semester, and I know this is only at chapter 3, but Iā€™m scared for what might happen. I feel so attached to everyone I donā€™t know what to do with myself. Your writing makes everything so homey and warm and exciting, like I really am a child exploring a new world!

I also found some typos in my playthrough. Although I think some of these might have already been reported.

typos summary

But whatā€™s obvious, if itā€™s something sheā€™s teached you about, is that it must have uses in potions.

taught

ā€œThereā€™s this tradition that Arthur himself signs up for a trail at a tournament, but doesnā€™t say which.ā€ Gawain explains,

The first trail of the tournament is mixed combat. It entails fighting with your weapons of choice,

Arthur seems intrigued by the trail, but his attention slips to his sister from time to time,

trial

Accolon pulls at Seraā€™s reigns, drawing to Morgana, who takes off her purple scarf and wraps in around his lance with deft motions.

it

They quirk an eyebrow. "I saw you two talking. He didnā€™t look too please. Whatever qualms you may have, it wasnā€™t in the spirit of the competition.

pleased

A fool, she hissed, for believing she could a man who aided Uther.

Thereā€™s a word missing here.

So you attacked him unprovoked, like he attacked Accolon. You have something in common."

This is one of the choice options. Thereā€™s a quotation mark missing at the beginning.

You see, I were still in Camelot because I had requested to be close to Arthur. Merlin was making a scene,

was

Gawain smiles at you, ā€œIt looks as detail as his other sculptures. And he loves sculpting dragons,ā€

detailed

Weā€™d go watch bards perform in town - especially the Avalonian ones- and I began longing to learn to play the lute as beautifully as them.

thereā€™s both " - " and "- " dashes and I wasnā€™t sure if one was a mistake.

Thereā€™s always been a reluctant from them- and their hesitant affection hurts all the same as the unspoken words,

reluctance

We stay at the castle, but sometimes my father gets a vacation and we go to to my grandparentsā€™ house in the neighboring town,

to

Robin straightens with a smile. ā€œYou look a lot better, SIr Accolon.ā€

Sir

Itā€™s rather pleasant, taking a leisure walk through the tournament you were rushing, dragging weapons and buckling armor just a few days ago - your muscles have only now begun to forget the sourness.

This sentence is a bit confusing. I think it might have been two sentences combined?

You heave out a heavy breath, brow furrowing. ā€œMorgana was furious. And so was I.ā€

Iā€™m not sure if Mordred calls his mother by her name anywhere else, but I added this just in case Mordred doesnā€™t.

You see Gawain rush into the ring, even though it seems like a guard is protesting, at least for show, and embraces his father, who returns the hug. He picks him out, shouting at the crowd, ā€œMy brave squire, without who I couldnā€™t have won!ā€

whom

7 Likes

Iā€™m really loving this!! I have never read anything about Camelot and stuff but maybe one book? I dunno but this is really interesting. I like the idea of Mordred not really being interested in being the harbinger of violence like the prophecy implied. Just a casual middle finger to Merlin because heā€™s not being pragmatic (though Arthur is pitiful) and it makes him like stupid when he comes out as wrong?

7 Likes

Other myths give him even more vague origins, though he clearly isnā€™t human in most of them or maybe he is a human, and we all have yet to awaken to our magical powers yet.

Think Morgana has slightly varied origins herself depending on some stories, either being a human magical prodigy (who either does or doesnā€™t have a blood relations with Arthur) or a mysterious fae woman with no real connection toward Arthur other than being one of the beings that brings him to Avalon.

I think such character discussions are capable of going somewhere and offering another outside perspective. It just has to also be acknowledged that thereā€™s often a middle ground between the personal views that doesnā€™t makes either opinion (especially if they lean on a extreme end in some way) completely right or wrong either and that there is often grounds for why the varied thoughts on a character exist in the first place.

I personally think that itā€™ll be just as interesting see the early Elaine romance route unfold whie Mordred and Gareth share a close bond with one another due to the inner turmoil that can make Mordred be torn between their familial love for Gareth and their slowly blossoming romantic feelings for Elaine.

Gareth himself may go through some more inner conflict if he learns about Mordredā€™s feelings, torn between his care for his sibling and his belief he needs to go through with the arranged marriage mostly out of duty, yet also because a small part of him may still yearn for Lotā€™s approval and love (may also even more fear for Mordredā€™s feelings getting discovered by Lot because he may have the best idea of just how badly the Duke will take the discovery).

Reminds me of another father that struggles with how to connect with his kid: Cliff Holden of Our Life: Beginning and Always. Granted, the conflicts he deal with are kind of different, but how he and Arthur begin with fumbly handling their kids feel somewhat similar.

Cliff became a father at a pretty young age (accidentally in his and Coveā€™s momā€™s case) and while he really does love his son Cove, he (especially in the beginning) didnā€™t always communicate well with his kid and ends up doing things that made Cove more upset with him. He would often be impulsive with his decision-making and thoughtlessly do things for people without really thinking if that person would take to his actions well. The fact Cliff was also dealing with the being the process of a divorce and Cove himself was not in the mood to really talk things out with his dad didnā€™t help matters, but it gets hinted at that Cliffā€™s flawed approach on things were a common problem even before dealing with all the drama happening of trying to settle in a new place with his son. Itā€™s clear as day that he loves Cove and just wants to help him in the tough times, but he goes about it the wrong way at first; like how he tried to bribe a kid he barely knew at the time (MC) with 20 dollars to be his sonā€™s friend for the summer yes you CAN run away yelling ā€˜stranger dangerā€™ when the weird adult does that. As one goes deeper in the VN, you do see character development all the characters in the MCā€™s life, and Cliff is no exception; he grows into his role as a father better and you do see him learn from his mistakes (its does help that as time passes, Cove himself talks more with his dad to help him understand some things better).

It is likely going to play out somewhat like that for Arthur himself. The fumbling will be stronger due to him also juggling his trauma, but it will be just as clear that the attempts to conect to Mordred come from somewhat good intentions. Itā€™s just going to take some time.for him to learn the right way to do things and to really understand Mordred as both a person and his child (the last which can vary depending on how Mordred handles interactions with Arthur themselves).

Onto a more Accolan related note:

Thereā€™s really isnā€™t much for me to add except that I definitely enjoyed being able to spend time with Accolan and seeing having more fatherly times with him. Some of the words he tells Mordred when talking why the prophecy was kept a secret from them make me wonder just how much he might be dreading the day Mordred will come to learn the full story of their origin. After Arthur accidentally revealing the prophecy to Mordred, the knight is probably already half-expecting that there is a strong chance the reveal of Mordredā€™s origins will come at a poor time. He and even Morgana are probably no longer thinking ā€˜ifā€™ the origin reveal will happen and more ā€˜whenā€™ and ā€˜whoā€™ will expose the messed up truth. Yes, very few people actually know the truth, but one of those people is in Lothia (not sure how much either of them were expecting the person to actually have the guts to spill beans, butā€¦). minor on my art, but I do kinda want choice to see how heā€™d respond to the father line of question if some Mordreds admit to having conflicted confusion at the moment about the dad matter (or just saying that while Arthur is a enigma they have yet to find out, Accolan himself will always be their father).

He did bring up a point I did not even consider: how choosing to avoid Arthur after his inaction in the match could end up being a indirect win for Lancelot, whose intention was to keep Mordred away from Arthur in the first place. So the choice on how to react to Arthur could end up being a kind of double-edged sword; avoiding him or becoming distant would be exactly what Lancelot wants from Mordred. But at the same time, I sort of feel like Arthur dealing with a Mordred who is upset with him (especially if they call him out on how his inaction endangered the few people who were a active part in their life) is something that should at some point at the very least and it may hit him harder for it to happen when Mordred is a child. And I wouldnā€™t be surprised if some Mordreds become skeptical to some degree of Arthur after that tournament.

I also enjoyed Mordred getting the chance to meet another kind stranger in the form of Isode. Hope when Mordred gets a chance to meet her years later, they can show that they still remember her and her act of kindness.

All that aside, figured Iā€™d bring up this new part to the Lancelot-Guenivere dynamic. Wonder if the relationship will be on the off status for a while after Lancelot, you know, straight up attacked a man in the tournament and admits to doing it to scare a child who Arthur is trying to bond with away from Arthur despite said kingā€™s wishes.

11 Likes

How did I not think of thatā€¦
Mindblown :open_mouth:

This is something I did think about on the other hand, once Lancelot did what he did.
I feel like that could be mostly relevant to either very doubtful or easily scared Mordreds, or to bold spiteful ones, in a sense. The former could really be affected by that and it could be hard to overcome the fear, while the later may try to cling to Arthur out of spite for Lancelot, just to ā€œwinā€.
Not really THAT relevant for my Mordred, I suppose, since he really wants to get close to Arthur, and while heā€™s timid heā€™s also brave and especially determined, so he wouldnā€™t just let go of that hope. I mean, that was a traumatic thing for him! But he wouldnā€™t just give up because of that - not a chance.

I kind of wish that wasnā€™t mutually exclusive with other charactersā€™ scenes - I did only see it in the code, as it wouldnā€™t fit my Mordred to go that way. Not much can be done, sadly - heā€™ll certainly meet her later anyway.

Ah, thanks! I didnā€™t see that ask!

1 Like

I donā€™t think thereā€™s gonna be much turmoil tbh, I remember it was said you meet Elaine the day before the wedding takes place or during the preparation, so I donā€™t think Mordreds feelings will be that deep that fast and for Gareth, thereā€™s not gonna be much turmoil for him lol unless Mordred immediately tells them about there crush, which will be fine especially since she calls it off the next day and he never wanted to go marry her.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Really Loved the demo so far. Itā€™s an interesting take and canā€™t wait for future updates :ā€™)

3 Likes

@jammy Thank you so much! :two_hearts: Happy to hear you love the characters, and the conflicting emotions they inspire! Itā€™s really fun writing them.

Thank you! :heart: Makes me really happy to hear it!

Thank you! :two_hearts: Gonna say, prophecies do come true one way or another, in unexpected ways :eyes: So it is up to Mordred to an extent

Oh right, I didnā€™t add a conflicted option for Arthur there. Gonna add it on my list.

There are also some other things Iā€™ve changed that I havenā€™t brought up yet but will be in the next update, when Junia talks about Guinevere!
Whatā€™s new: Guinevere has always been rather sickly, falling into spells of illness every now and then, which made her family very protective of her.
Which also plays into her relationship with Lance. They fight, heā€™s too stubborn to admit heā€™s wrong. Or they decide that they should keep a distance, because what theyā€™re doing is wrong. But when she falls ill, and heā€™s worried about her, and they get together again.

Mordred meets Elaine a month in advance. She and her family come to Lothia one month in advance to discuss things with Lot and prepare for the wedding. Thereā€™s a lot of opportunities for Mordred to spend time with her.
I actually got very excited about her scenes planning chapter 5!

21 Likes

Youā€™re getting me so hyped about the next chapter :rofl:
I love this story so much hnnnn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Need more Galahadā€¦ :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

So a couple questions, when will the game be done and 2 how many words will the final product have.

Hi @Im_Infamous , please donā€™t ask authors for updates, itā€™s against our forum rules.

If @Rebelgirl has any information they want to share relating to a release date, then Iā€™m sure they will do so when they are ready.

11 Likes

rookie mistakes :rofl:

7 Likes

Oopsie daisies

3 Likes

Asking for/about updates is against the rules.

There will be an update. It will happen when the author is able to release it.

9 Likes

Was sup yall I miss you all

7 Likes

It feels nice coming back here

5 Likes