Indefinite Hiatus. The Amberwood Series (WIP) (Read Post 409)

I recommend you out on the tittle when you update the demo, either with the date or the chapter. it’s easier to know that way when there is new content.

3 Likes

Awesome!

@Somewillwin Could I ask what you mean by this?

1 Like

I don’t know if it was brought up already but it seems that there is a small problem. Right after the end of chapter 3 “Bury A Friend” scene starts (yes i browsed the code). Like without waking up and deciding what to do.
Btw: I really like the game but not really good with compliments so yeah…

Kinda self conscious about the fact anyone can look at the code but I’m also hoping it means someone will eventually be able to lecture me with proper techniques :sob:
As for the issue, I’m not sure why it’s doing that because I’m pretty sure I did the *goto_scene correctly…ugh :upside_down_face: i’m terrible at this

Edit: I made a slight change to the code, hopefully it works now.

2 Likes

Nah, still the same. M̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶c̶,̶ ̶N̶y̶x̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶.̶ ̶

well…fudge. I honestly have no idea what to do…

Not I, PrismaticSpace. Not I. I know just enough about coding to say ‘I know more than nothing’, but not really enough to call it ‘something’, either. :sweat_smile:

Plus, I don’t want to peek at any secrets that might already be in place for later; that wouldn’t be much fun for me. :wink:

2 Likes

if it makes you feel any better, looking at a game’s code always feels wrong, like I’m reading someone’s diary :upside_down_face:

…also is it bad that i kind of want mom to really disprove if you get into a relationship with Ileana?

5 Likes

Even if I could find the code, I probably wouldn’t understand it. I’ve tried to understand coding…it has not gone well.

I haven’t even thought of that and now I’m like :eyes:
@LadyUmbreon89 That feels like me rn oml. especially since I can’t figure out W H Y *goto_scene isn’t working
@Isabella_Taylor I’m surprised I’ve made it this far into the coding. I gave up on my first attempt because it was frustratingly confusing tbh

1 Like

Could it be because “End of chapter 3” is placed in “FightingUndead” scene? (just an assumption. im not really bright so it may be not the case)

It shouldn’t be?? I mean, I dunno either :laughing: It shouldn’t cause an issue because it goes into chapter 4 but your guess is as good as mine. I’ll likely make a question post about it after a few days. I could do it now but I’m already at the point where I need a break before I start hating the project;;

I love this wip and I love Nyx, thank you for coming to my ted talk lol :heart:

1 Like

Why just her? I don’t think that anyone would approve of a relationship with a literally bloodthirsty, super ancient (and probably murderous) vampire. And just think of all the sweet drama that would come with that bruh…

3 Likes

I went to school for this, and trust me, when you’re just learning, it’s always embarrassing having someone look at your code. But also, everyone makes silly mistakes all the time, so if that’s something you’re worried about, don’t be. You don’t want to know how many times I had to go to my professor’s office hours to be like “I can’t get it to compile no matter what I do, and I don’t know what error it’s throwing,” only to have her be like, “Ah, you have a missing semi-colon right here.” Embarrassing, but also like, reassuring to know that …computers are stupid. They’re very smart, but only in the way we programmed them to be, so they can’t always figure out human error.

If you’re writing in German and forget an umlaut or something, a native speaker will still be able to figure out what you meant. A computer would be like “This is entire thing? Incomprehensible.” Same thing with code: a person with a basic understanding of the language may read your code and find that a variable was typo’d, or an operator was skipped. It’s helpful, but it’s also daunting to know people can look at your code and see where you’re using a hammer when you could’ve used a scalpel. But, at the end of the day, code is code. It can be messy or precise or fluent, but most develop their own styles that work for them—and you’re learning, so don’t ever beat yourself up over it.

ChoiceScript is a unique beast in the sense that anyone can look at your code and often will if you post here on the forum, but I don’t really think you should unless the author gives general permission, or specifically asks you to. It’s one thing with a published game and you’re code-diving to meta the game or make a guide or something. But with WiPs? Really, we’re all working with hammers on the first draft. And testers don’t need access to code to be doing what they’re supposed to be doing. (And I agree with LadyUmbreon89, spoilers.)

But this is all just a really long-winded way of saying that it’s valuable to have people beta your code specifically when you’re just learning, and if you want them to continue to do so, I would try not to worry so much about how you code and what you know or don’t know. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So take that break. Considering how much effort you’ve already put in, you should’ve probably taken one already. It’s okay to simply make a note of the errors for ‘later you’ to figure out. Pretty much everyone else does it, and so far I’d say that’s a good bookkeeping habit for everyone it helps. So consider your holiday break on, kid. You’ve more than earned it. :hugs:

3 Likes

…I’m eyeballing you super hard now in hopes you can help me with CS because I cry at the stress of it??? :sob::upside_down_face:

1 Like

I should’ve;; I didn’t help that I was like: “Yeah! Let’s write a whole chapter in a day!” >_> Shot myself in the foot. But I’ll be taking that break and stressing over building a house for my sims :laughing:

I may even end up rewriting a lot of this, at least for the first chapter to define MC’s life more. I feel like despite growing up in a world of Supernaturals…they know next to nothing.

1 Like

True. Of course–from the perspective of a reader–I can safely say that I wasn’t going to know how you had this world set up, so in a sense it gives a feeling of relate-ability to the protagonist, and how that same protagonist was raised in a figurative box compared to their childhood companion Nyx. :slightly_smiling_face:

In another sense, we’re exploring the world at the same time as the main character. Though there was one thing that shocked me about the first chapter… Successfully hitting Nyx in the nuts. My internal monologue at that point was “why didn’t you protect yourself!? do you really trust the mc that much? shit! I’m never doing that ever again…” :fearful:

1 Like

:sob: I’m no expert, but I’m always willing to be an open resource. My DMs are always open, and if I find something that I know something about outside of the code, I’ll be sure to let you know!

In the meantime, make sure you take all the time for yourself that you need. Burnout is real, and writing novels is hard; adding code to that mess is bound to make anyone want to rip their hair out.

4 Likes