Indefinite Hiatus. The Amberwood Series (WIP) (Read Post 409)

OKAY. NO MORE “OLD POSTS”
CLICK ME FOR THE DEMO!
I have Patreon now! Support me if you’d like!
Amberwood is back ya’ll and entirely rewritten. While there are similarities, consider this a complete do-over. I was both super nervous to do this but also really excited. Thank you everyone for waiting, it means so much to me. So many of you have been so supportive, it surprised me.

This includes new scenes and new stats! As always, leave your thoughts. Let me know of any bugs, spelling errors, incorrect word usage, etc. Are there too many page breaks or not enough? Walls of text? Anything you like or dislike?
Thank you for playing and your patience! :heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :brown_heart: :black_heart: :white_heart:

Old Post!

I am totally not nervous.
Truth be told…I had no plans to do this?? I just wanted to learn CS and maybe, hopefully, come up with something along the way. I have no regrets, not when this has supernatural themes involved. My weakness.
You can play the demo here!
This is relationship and character driven!
Please let me know if there are any errors of any kind such as: continuity, spelling, grammar, bugs, etc. I’m still learning.
ᴀʟꜱᴏ, ɪ ᴀᴍ ꜱᴏ ꜱᴏʀʀy ꜰᴏʀ ᴍy ᴡʀɪᴛɪɴɢ?? ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇꜱ ɪ ᴡɪꜱʜ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ᴀɴ ᴇᴅɪᴛᴏʀ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴍy ᴡʀɪᴛɪɴɢ ɴᴇᴇᴅꜱ ꜱᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ʜᴇʟᴩ.
The title m a y change in the future, as a warning. Anyway, information is down below!

Old Post...Again.

Amberwood is back and, hopefully, better than ever! (TWO CHAPTERS NOW!) I wanted to go ahead an upload so you guys could see the changes made, and I could see if I’m heading in a better direction. Personally, I feel I am. I love this direction so much more, I’m so so happy with just this, which is a positive. Considering I was…Feeling negatively(???) before. Let me know if there are any bugs, errors, etc. as always!

The Plot

In this world, Supernaturals and Humans coexist, magick made illegal across the world, or at the very least, heavily regulated and controlled. Here there are families of human and beast alike who protect bounties of knowledge and power called Libraries; protecting these Libraries is a dangerous job in itself now made worse when a human, a Supernatural Clinic owner named Mariam Luna had disappeared.

• Follow MC in tackling the mystery Mariam Luna; meet the Fae; the Elves; Lycans and Werewolves,. And Vampires too, of course. Uncover the truth, and how far people will go to protect their beliefs, and make those beliefs become a reality.

• Learn the mythical origins of the Supernatural, forge relationships with them and your companions, and maybe somehow fall in love along the way. Or go along kicking ass and taking names!

• Play as male, female, non-binary, straight/pan/bi, and more.

• Romance is NOT a requirement, nor the focus!

Romance Options: includes characters not yet met!

Nyx: Your childhood friend with a past you have yet to learn. A brooding hot-head, he attacks first, and asks questions later. The most intimate detail you know if him is his supposed light sensitivity.
Cassius: A stoic detective investigating the murder case alongside you and Nyx, he was once an officer until things went south. All work and no play, anything can be won with logic. If nothing else, fight fire with fire.
Freya: The modern-day princess of the (Light) Elves, she isn’t one to shy from voicing her opinion, nor her distaste for humanity. She’d do anything for her people, and her stature was built to protect and defend them.
Cain: Prince to the (Dark) Elves, Cain can be charming, flirtatious. But don’t mistake his smile for kindness once on the battle field. Or, so stories would go. Moving like water, perhaps there’s more than what meets the eye of the future king…Assuming his people accept him.
Ileana: The oldest Vampire in the world, Ileana can be just as seductive as can be ruthless. Humans are just blood bags, but even she prefers to feed with consent or donations. With centuries of knowledge, hardly anything gets her worked up any more, even as her people continue to wreck havoc.

Stats

I’m thinking of adding a new stat: idealistic/realistic, but I haven’t yet decided. HOWEVER, please know that personality stats WILL NOT affect the story in any way.

Customization

Is the chance to name MC too late into the story? Or is it okay? I’m personally happy with it, of course, I’d like your thoughts as well. I almost didn’t include hair and eye color options, however, I love being able to do that in my stories. I do plan to have it play some sort of affect though. I just love it because sometimes I’ll draw my MCs from the games I’ve played. :joy:

Magick vs Magic

I know some people don’t care, but I wanted to explain anyway just in case. For me, “magic” is like card magic, making things disappear behind someone’s ear, that sort of thing. “Magick” are things like wicca, or heck, even Harry Potter, etc. Magick is flashy and totally how I expected wicca to be, magic is the party tricks for the kiddos.

Finally, thank you to everyone who’ve been patient and answering all my questions for the scripting! Obviously, I still have so much to learn and I’m sure anyone far better at this saw my coding, they’d be appalled. I think even Paul Hollywood would stare me down with those eyes of his.

I really hope you guys enjoy this, please, feel free to critique. Just be respectful, please. Any writing tips? Send em my way! I have a Tumblr now!

549 Likes

Sounds promising, best of luck! Although, I am pretty sure Nyx and Cassius are ro’s in Dragon Racer? Not that it is illegal to reuse names or anything, it’s just odd because they arent super common and are both ro’s in that game as well…does that make sense?

8 Likes

I understand! I adore both names, they’re very intriguing and eye catching. I hope it doesn’t cause any problems of any kind, but if it is, I’ll make changes accordingly! Also, thank you! I need all the luck I can get.

6 Likes

This is really good and I can’t wait to read/play more. I did find a error: FightingUndead line 78: bad label the_fray after choice any of the following after talking w/ Tae & fighting the monster

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll get to fixing that.

EDIT: Okay, I just uploaded an the edit, so it should work now! I guess I tried too be too clever with it :joy:

3 Likes

When I chose that I’m a boy but they called me a she and her

1 Like

Fixed! For some reason, I wrote exclusively female pronouns.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to sound rude, but isn’t Nyx a woman’s name (coming from a Greek Goddess) despite the character being male? If that’s what you want to go for for the character, by all means. It’s something that came to mind.

I love the name Nyx, and I’m personally using it for a gender-determinant character in my own WIP! I’ve also seen it on male characters in other published media before; the first that comes to mind is the protagonist, Nyx Ulric, from Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive.

Also, it’s my humble opinion that if you’re aiming for inclusivity, it is always better to include a nonbinary pronoun option than it is to just…not because it’s harder. But luckily, you’re not alone in this! I would recommend checking out the multireplace function on the wiki to start, and then dig around on the forum and see how others approached coding for that.

https://choicescriptdev.fandom.com/wiki/Multireplace (Sorry about the messy link, I’m on mobile and recovering from surgery!)

6 Likes

You’re not rude at all, don’t worry. I think Nyx can be unisex, but I understand completely. Especially since I almost wrote Nyx (the character) as a female.

1 Like

I know it’s latin equivalent (Nox) is unisex, but I’m fairly certain Nyx is female. At least, according to the name websites I used.

Yaaaassss, I loved him so much, I kinda hated how he wasn’t mentioned in FFXV. I feel like he would’ve been had Episode Lunafreya not been canned. (I highkey prefer her design in Kingsglaive.) Thank you for the link and opinion! I also hope your recovery goes smoothly. I’d considered using ex. “zhe” and such, but I’m still not sure. I might wait to see if others have more opinions on this.

@GrimReaperJr1232 Well, yes, Nyx may be considered female but, to me, I feel it can be unisex. Didn’t know about Nox though! Seems a touch odd though? Like how it rolls off the tongue, if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Hey, your character; your choice.

I apologize if it bothers you or anything. But, assuming you played, I hope you found some enjoyment in it all regardless. :smiley:

Bah, it takes more than a name to bother me. You’re good, mate.

2 Likes

Buuuuuugs

This one is after every question you can ask Tae

I really, really like what you’ve done so far!! The characters are interesting (im… predictably… especially partial to Nyx) and I like the banter between them and the MC a lot!! Theres an underlying personality to MC already in place which I personally prefer over blank slate MCs, and their snark is a lot of fun so far. You’ve done well in balancing the MC’s personality with the player’s personality options! I like playing as someone a bit in over their head lol
I also actually really like the mom. Way more than I expected I would, because parent characters are usually the last thing on my mind, but I liked the parents a lot. I wouldn’t like being her kid, but as a character she’s really interesting, and I hope to see more of her!! And maybe… fix her relationship with her kid a bit? And know more about her and the dad’s legendary status…

Long story short, this is a great start!!! I look forward to this one! And yes absolutely make that tumblr ^^

Aside from the bugs previously mentioned, I found this one:

3 Likes

Yeah I had the same problem. Everything else looks good though.

1 Like

I wasn’t too sure what you meant with the first screenshot, but I made some changes regardless. I assumed it was in regards to the repeating first paragraph and not just the “Tae relaxes…” and so on. Hopefully, it’s as intended now! I really gotta get the hang of typing ${}, thank you for pointing this all out! noideahowididn’tevennoticewow

@fennec Thank you so much omg. Is it bad I’m also biased to Nyx? whoops. I wanted MC to have some sort of personality, but it’s hard balancing it and letting players choose, so I hope people continue to give me feedback and things progress. Truth be told, Leslie is sort of like my mother but much colder. Depending how things go, I’d like to make a…spin-off? with her and Carter, but that’s waaaaaaay down the line. Thank you again! I might make that tumblr-I just gotta figure out how to even use it. 22, and clueless. Also, that bug is fixed!

2 Likes

love your work feel like you had fun make this

1 Like