Older development thread (The Aegis Saga - Blood)

Hello, can I hep with beta?

1 Like

Okay great, that’s 25 beta-testers. So I think I’ll call that enough for now.

Everyone’s doing really well and have caught loads of errors :wink:

If anyone else gets here late then do consider volunteering to beta the short story I’m hoping to write next month for the competition.
(It’ll still be set in Eris and I’m thinking it will later be wrapped into The Aegis Saga somehow)

Thanks for the b-day message @Zsero, @Silhuetta and @idonotlikeusernames :grin:

3 Likes

Day 19 update

So we released the Beta four days ago - that was stage 1 - chapters 0 to 6.

• There have been some fantastic comments (including catching a couple of plot holes) for which I will be eternally grateful to 'Blood’s amazing testers.

• Stage 2 is on its way soon (remember the revised test of chapters 0 to 9 is scheduled to happen before the 31st of this month).

• To that end I have finished the final pre release proof of chapter 7, including a partial rewrite inspired by tester feedback on the first 6 chapters.

• Now on to 8 and 9: 9 is a biggie, like 6, so expect some more unique storyline based on some earlier decisions. And 9 is the point where it all comes together (and is being rewritten as we speak to include a large second ending).

So expect some manic laughter and tears as I work to get ‘The Aegis Saga - Blood’ over the full-beta test finishing line with the help of 'Blood’s awesome testers.

3 Likes

Also expect the possibility of animal facts

1 Like

Manic tearful animal facts :grin:

4 Likes

And don’t forget my tears because I am totally incapable of being the animal I want… You have to put a extra command *if (name =“Mara”)
*set animal awesome poisonous spider.
Also game need a kitty!!

1 Like

Can’t wait to beta test lol

1 Like

‘The Aegis - Blood’ Schedule

Here is a rough outline of expected timings (GMT), these may change given pressures on @defenestratin’s time and the need for me to help my partner put on her May art show:

• 30th April release stage 2 of the beta (all 10 chapters [0-9] )

• Also aiming for the linear option to have been revised and reimplemented for testing (mainly by old folk who dislike choice and everything it stands for :grin:)

• 1st May begin short story for @Lordirish’s 4th CS comp. I hope this will give me a strong start on 'Blood’s sequel: ‘The Aegis Saga - Forge’
    https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/lordirish-presents-4th-annual-cscomp-please-register-to-enter/15804/147

• 14th May @defenestratin has prepared the first artwork

• 14th May revisions to ‘Blood’ have been made following feedback.

• 15th May ‘Blood’ submitted for consideration for Hosted Games label.

• 31st May short story finished.

• 11th June @defenestratin has prepared the cover artwork for ‘Blood’ (submitted soon after to HG)

• 11th of June I build a website and make an account on social media to promote The Aegis Saga

• Some time in June HG makes me remove any curse words, makes me remove chapter return function. Additionally points out the damage I’ve done to the great tradition of English literature.
    I make revisions.

• 2nd July @defenestratin has prepared a map (submitted soon after to HG)

So I’ll be busy :wink: wish me luck!

7 Likes

I’ve played a session today once more.

This time I ended up being the horse - which seemed to match the adventure. I sill think the following really sets the style of your story from the beginning: [quote] 'Oh, so you have the stall next to Mirriam Spurnfellow? She kicked my cousin up the backside so hard for leering at her - he ran straight back to his wife. His old lady has had the whole village call him Brinn Philanderer ‘till this day.’ [/quote]

And I do like the story within a story wonder of a younger MC; it is woven skillfully throughout all the released chapters.

Small formatting issues made little bumps during the session nothing an edit won’t correct down the road.

The encounter with the mercs at the end seemed rushed but that might be because the released material was ended abrupt. I enjoyed the sergeant and Bell and I do hope thy get to tag along on our future adventures… their contrasting take on things is perfect in setting bounds. Well Done.

If you desire further feedback, please let me know.

1 Like

@Zolataya, thank you so much for this wonderful feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed several bits of the story, a lot of these things are tough, but there is lots of inspiration available from several Cog, HG and WIP writers!

You’ll certainly see more of Bell and Sergeant Tuareg.

I’ll definitely look at the pacing of the mercenary encounter, thanks!

I also hope to give your own fantastic WIP Helvetti Rising some more time after I release the second stage of my beta. (For everyone on 'Blood’s thread, Helvetti Rising represents a far more thought out appropriation of mythical and historical inspiration than I’ve managed with my WIP):grin:

2 Likes

Amazing time table you have. I have a question about apprenticeship. Did my character gain money?
If so, Could you give us a selection from where spending it. My character would die for beautiful clothing and manners tuition. She would prefer suffer famine and going to manners and etiquette class. She prepares herself to stunning the nobles with her mind and with her diplomatic etiquette. The others are merely peasants with peasant minds. She said that even if she is not noble she could end like a court girl.

1 Like

:grin: This is will be a big part of book 2 ‘The Aegis Saga - Forge’.

The idea is that book 1 is about captivity (the kids), imprisonment (the Consort), lack of control (the glyf), and destiny (guided by the schemes of others).

Forge will be about the MC creating their own destiny - it will be more sandboxy in approach, with functions like group membership, camp (possible inventory) management, and. . . Money!

Effectively the MC explores ‘freedom’, and that feeling is intentionally contrasted with Book 1’s themes of the lack of control.

You do know that what you’ve just said will make my mc want to find a way to control or master the glyf and would prefer that to court and royal duties even if he should turn out to be the prince.
Oh and find out about those lost/destroyed civilisations, so I guess my preference for my mc to end up as an adventurer archaeologist with maybe a bit of magic-user mixed in has gotten even stronger.

1 Like

You want become Indiana the tresure hunter prince.

1 Like

Ha! They’ll never let a “proper” prince venture anywhere interesting, and certainly not by himself or with a ragtag bunch of strangers he picks up along the way.

It would serve my character well to get a good piece of blackmail he can use on the consort or whomever is doing the prince(ss) picking to induce them to pick someone else.

Nope, but he does like whips. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Does that count?

1 Like

Yes you will be able to wander

Yes you will be able to prioritise ‘not’ being the heir, even if you happen to be! :wink:

Of course there’s absolutely no reason why your mc might not use said friends, freedom and wealth to, erm, significantly increase their chances at POWER! ahem, as @poison_mara suggests

1 Like

My “Princess” just wants to keep the horse she stole, maybe steal the soldiers and some treasure… then set up her own palace… lol… a 15 year old’s dream …

1 Like

There should be plenty of opportunity to be a princess peach, as much as there should be opportunity to be a luiiiigi​:hammer::derelict_house: (though in truth I think he might be a plumber rather than a builder) and you should also be able to be a bowser :boom::zap::boom:.

Not sure yet if there will be room to be a @silhuetta🍄

2 Likes

@nightcap Mushroom status is already taken.

Have you ever seen that fungi that makes ants into “zombies”? It’s kinda terrifying.:smiling_imp:

I will take over the world with my mushroom powers!:imp::mushroom:

1 Like

http://api.ning.com/files/oG6SegPhuVkGmadOHPvfLXDKZAqvb*aoUTsW1wppLQJjZCt5ZL5-XGtnUu*VPW1DKoeHHEJZpAwp*0ipxbIPlr0TfREVvlGE/Owl1.jpg

Truly you are the strongest of us.

4 Likes