The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Ch 5: 10 Nov 2023)

This is a dream of a game for me :heart_eyes:
I can tell by how open you are to any sort of feedback and the level of detail you have incorporated so far that you are a writer that can do these beloved characters and their world justice.
You’ve done a brilliant job with this short demo! I’m off to replay it right now!

5 Likes

@LiliArch Thank you! :blush:

@CrayFoPottah Thank you for both the link and the quote! :heart_eyes: :+1:
Just let me know! :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

@Jess1973 Haha yes, that is true! :sweat_smile:

@whalien :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
You’re very kind! Hopefully, I can live up to your words, thank you! :blush:

9 Likes

As someone who has never even cracked open a book or clicked on a movie about Sherlock Holmes (all I know is that he is a famous detective with an assistant named Watson :expressionless:), I personally enjoyed this demo VERY much. You won’t really hear me with suggestions to the storyline (since I don’t know anything about it), but you’re doing an incredimazing job and keep up the great work! :heart::heart::heart:

13 Likes

Wow! That’s great, thank you! :heart_eyes: It’s really nice to hear that someone would like the demo, even without the pull of familiar or loved characters :blush: :blush: :blush:
(And the storyline is original—it won’t be connected to the books or shows/movies—so you don’t have to worry that it will be unfriendly to people unfamiliar to the Sherlock Holmes universe :slight_smile: )

25 Likes

No. You can’t :speak_no_evil:Moriarty was Holmes’s enemy. You cant make him his student unless Moriarty does something to Holmes to make them into nemesis :thinking:

2 Likes

(For anyone just jumping into the thread and reading this, we are discussing a completely imaginary-and-probably never-to-be-written supernatural spinoff, not the game-book currently being written here :sweat_smile: )

Haha, no I know, don’t worry :sweat_smile: I was imagining a relationship that starts as student/teacher but ends as enemies. Probably that Moriarty gets corrupted by dark magic or has the classic (good motive/bad means) problem that the MC disagrees with.
And then there could be the fantastic cliche of “the student has become the master”! :heart_eyes: :joy:

20 Likes

Semi off-topic question:

Should this game be marked historical on dashingdon? I currently don’t have it marked as such because a tag like period piece is more how I would describe it. Does historical in this context mean following a historical event or a general past (semi-realistic) time setting? :face_with_monocle:

And does anyone know how I can add a picture to the demo on dashingdon? :kissing:

5 Likes

For your first question; probably not

1 Like

Ooooh…… but what if it’s both? Like he has good motives but thanks to his bad means aka “dark magic” it makes him evil and thus became Sherlock’s mortal enemy. The only way Sherlock end up succeeding Moriarty is when Sherlock finds the cure to the corrupt magic.

Honestly, now that I think of it a steampunk/gothic fantasy adaptations of Sherlock Holmes might be very interesting :eyes:. Like, I mean we already discussed a lot of a supernatural take on the cast. Plus,Adler could very well be a half incubus/ succubus.

3 Likes

Ah, a new favorite WIP to obsess over, I’ve been looking for another one of those XD I absolutely adore this!! <3

4 Likes

You could do a Being Humans twist to Sherlock Holmes. One character being a vampire, one a werewolf and one a ghost :joy:

4 Likes

This does fall under the umbrella of historical fiction in my opinion.

5 Likes

@Sujan_Dhakal @mistylavenda so I looked at the Wikipedia page for historical fiction and found this:

Historical fiction is a literary genre in which the plot takes place in a setting located in the past. Although the term is commonly used as a synonym for the historical novel , it can also be applied to other types of narrative, including theatre, opera, cinema, and television, as well as video games and graphic novels.
An essential element of historical fiction is that it is set in the past and pays attention to the manners, social conditions and other details of the depicted period.

I’m thinking I could add the tag then :smiling_face::+1:

@Jess1973 I like it! That Moriarty/ Sherlock situation could add some wonderful angst :kissing_smiling_eyes:
I think it should definitely be a gothic/supernatural type story!! :heart_eyes: I was thinking Adler demon first, but then who should be the vampire? :face_with_monocle: maybe for some really angsty material Lestrade is vampire hunter turned vampire? :joy:

@ChibiKittens :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

@Ghoslestat ooh ghost! Who should be a ghost then? :hushed: Mycroft?

12 Likes

I was thinking Mrs Hudson, Sherlock’s housekeeper. Sherlock, in my opinion, a werewolf and Moriarty a vampire.

6 Likes

We’ve had Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I think its about time we had Sherlock Holmes Vampire Hunter :joy:

3 Likes

Oddly enough, this reminds me of a game I played on Romance Club called “Sin of London”. It’s a supernatural take on Sherlock Holmes where the MC is (if I’m remembering correctly) Irene Adler. Spoilers for the game Sherlock is a demon hunter after Watson was killed by one. though I can’t say it’s a real Sherlock adaptation because there are some characters who are from different books and mythos but they’re all still British. One way or another :sweat_smile:

Hm…… maybe Hamish/Helena ? :thinking: or maybe one of Sherlock’s clients who died in the case and came back as a ghost because they have unfinished business or strong lingering feelings that can’t let them go to the afterlife (like maybe love or perseverance).

Ooooh how about the wife from the Sussex vampire. I mean, there’s nothing here saying that the clients can’t be supernaturals who need help. :wink:

That sounds so good. But, since Lestrade is working for the law…… maybe he is in the same unit as Watson before Watson retired ? :thinking:

4 Likes

@Ghoslestat So if it’s like being human, does Moriarty then live with Sherlock and Mrs Hudson? :sweat_smile:

I like it haha! :+1:

@Jess1973 Ahh, too bad then, the idea has been done :cry: :joy:

I think we are entering two different spinoffs now, and I can no longer keep any of the ideas straight :sweat_smile: I am bowing out of this speculation game, but please continue, it’s a fun read! :blush:

6 Likes

It’s technically a demon hunter :sweat_smile:. The story is pretty interesting, the only fault it has is the fact I personally don’t like the graphics of the Romance Club game.

Ooof…. Sorry for confusing you :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

No! No apologizing, I didn’t mean it in a bad way! And I meant the whole conversation, not just you—I think it’s fun, I just got a bit lost is all :kissing: And I should probably spend more time on the actual game and less on clogging up the forums haha :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

At least you had the context of the whole conversation. Imagine how confused people who joined the thread partway through just be. Lol.

5 Likes