The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Ch 5: 10 Nov 2023)

Or play Sheridan Holmes so I can play her like a functional sociopath. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I have a strange question.
Does anyone here like baroque decor, and why? :face_with_monocle:

I am currently writing some of the apartment decoration choices, and my current description is quite snarky because am personally not a big fan of baroque decorā€¦ :joy: So, if anyone is a fan, please tell me what makes it pleasing to you! :heart:

19 Likes

tenor

Edit: Oopsie, forgot to add a feedback. So far, itā€™s really awesome. Not difficult to read for people who have a basic knowledge of English, and yet you still manage to write something that really grabbed my attention. I really like the dialogue options too :grin:. Your character creator is really complete too, so personally itā€™s a big plus.
If you didnā€™t understand already, I only have positive feedback at the current state of your demo.
Take care of yourself and thanks for this promising demo :blush:

12 Likes

honestly, baroque decor just makes me feel classy and fancy.

20 Likes

Iā€™m honestly not a big fan of baroque either but I do have an appreciation for it just because Iā€™m a fan of history so whenever I see it I just immediately think of that time period which usually spins into me thinking of other time periods and thatā€™s just funā€¦ I feel like this comment isnā€™t too helpful heh sorry like I said Iā€™m not a huge fan either.

1 Like

Kinda cackling right now, because while i do like baroque furniture and whatnot, I feel like it needs quite large spaces to not become overwhelming. So imagining a small-ish London flat stuffed wall-to-wall with gilt is somehow hilarious to me. Home sweetā€¦ bordello?

Same goes for rococo, mind.

15 Likes

Warning! Past saves will not work anymore!

I just made a small update (This is not a story update!)

Itā€™s mostly errors fixes and misspellingsā€”though Iā€™m sure there are more that Iā€™ve missed.

There is also an added mini-scene with the drinking cope if the player chooses to give the witness a flask of spiritsā€”then you can choose to use your own or Lestradeā€™s.

Iā€™ve also added a line about the witnessā€™s blanket.

Small changes in the prologue.

The scientist former case background choice now has a bit more text as it was a bit unbalanced.

The character creator is changed quite a bit! At least in structure and ease of use.

@greasybrittle :smiley: :+1:

@Xarena Oh yeah, I know what you mean! Usually in modern uses of that style (movie sets and such) I feel they change it a bit to be more palatable to todays senses. But when I look at pictures of time correct baroque I have a hard time appreciating it :confused:

@Hannya Haha yes! You see my problem here. Perhaps I should just keep the snarkā€¦

33 Likes

My opinion of baroque is that Iā€™m so not dusting a thousand tiny pieces of crap. :rofl: (God, Iā€™m turning into my mother :face_with_hand_over_mouth:). But then, I pretty much assume Watson is the one to keep house anyways XD.

11 Likes

Well, baroque decor is very present in my country, on its many historical buildings, specially churches and old farms. Maybe I like it so much because I grew up seeing it, so itā€™s kinda hard to explain. The contrast it has, maybe? Thereā€™s as many round shapes (such as couches and chair legs) as there is square and lines (the decor in the walls and mirrors).
As I said, we have many churches in this style here, so althought Iā€™m not religious, maybe I have associated it with some otherwordly peace and silence. Iā€™m having a quite interesting reflection here, haha. And well, itā€™s classy, fancy, stylish, all I want to do is wear a top hat and drink tea (and I donā€™t even like tea) while I behavior my best, preparing to receive my visitors to discuss a nice Charles Dickens novel.

7 Likes

I love it, makes me feel like Iā€™m in the sitting room of some highfalutin aristocrat from a Jane Austen novel. But most of her highfalutin aristocrats were written as unbearable snobs, so I wouldnā€™t feel comfortable in such a room, necessarily. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

@Myrtle :joy: :joy: :joy:
Although Watson probably would be good at the job, Sherlock, Watson, and Mrs Hudson share a maid and a footman :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: Youā€™ll meet them soon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Nael Ohh interesting! I might borrow some of your thoughtsā€¦ :no_mouth:

@Tarlonniel :heart_eyes: :joy: :joy:

10 Likes

I made a tumblr blog! :purple_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart:
(I have no idea what I am doing, so please tell me if I am doing this incorrectly)

I will accept questions, thoughts, headcanons, memesā€”whatever you guys wantā€”just keep it civil I guess :slight_smile:

33 Likes

I have to admit, Iā€™ve not been this excited for a WIP in a long timeā€¦ Looking forward very much to the next update!

6 Likes

I imagined my MC doing some crazy ā€˜scienceā€™ experiments in a room like this:
unnamed

:rofl: :see_no_evil:

28 Likes

Iā€™m straight but i donā€™t know why i feel male lestrade portrait pretty intriguing

5 Likes

Hmm I guess another benefit of barroque I hadnā€™t thought of until now is that itā€™s in a weird way kind of comforting even though itā€™s fancy, and I feel like this is true of any style thatā€™s old you know in that tried and true way plus whenever I have seen pictures of this style I usually do think ā€˜sure I donā€™t want my house to look like this but I could sooooo nap in there just give me a good sunbeam.ā€™

8 Likes

ā€¦ Are you by any chance a cat whoā€™s learned to use a keyboard?

12 Likes

ā€¦Noā€¦:smirk_cat::kissing_cat:

7 Likes

I recently asked a friend what they think of baroque and they didnā€™t like that style either but they said something I hadnā€™t thought of. When that style was popular what was going on? Spying, poisoning and hidden compartments and the idea of a room looking so fancy and safe maybe even comfortable but it being full of hidden compartments with who knows what in them is a lot of fun.:smiling_imp:

10 Likes

@Ups111 :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

@Cingulum_diaboli Ohhh, haha, Thatā€™s quite close to what I was imagining too! :joy: Though there will be a more ā€˜functionalā€™ decoration setting for a crazy scientist Sherlockā€”I imagine those chairs are quite expensive and it would be a shame if they blew up in an explosionā€¦

His penetrating gaze is beyond any mere mortal to withstand :kissing:

@Xarena That makes senseā€”it gives me nap vibes tooā€¦ Sort of like a cosy museum

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Thatā€™s an interesting thought, Iā€™ll have to think more on that! :smiley:

15 Likes