The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Ch 5: 10 Nov 2023)

I favour the original books, but Elementary is a very strong contender for first place, because Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu deliver outstanding performances on solid writing.

3 Likes

I thought it was my favourite until I started watching the series with Jeremy Brett. Now he’s my beloved Sherlock :heart:

xd

7 Likes

bc1cdeaa0ecf651df685f04963a50aab
Word.

8 Likes

This is true.

@Doriana-Gray is writing my overall favorite.

Of the originals. Hounds of the Baskervilles is my favorite.

2 Likes

The books are, surprisingly the only one’s I’ve consumed (in celebration of Sherlock Holmes coming into the public domain!) but I do really really want to watch Granada’s adaptation. I’ve seen clips and the acting seems phenomenal!

2 Likes

Oh no I’m sure there are good free ones–I just had a hard time finding any as the ones my supervisor and my googling found (that seemed to be popular) were costly. But I talked to a user that used Mac’s default so I’m gonna use that :heart:

:thinking: it would make scheduling a lil more complicated I imagine, at the very least

I was positively surprised when I watched it how much I enjoyed it (that it was both modern and not very British made me feel suspicious) :sweat_smile:

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I love this gif :heart: :heart: :heart: young Jeremy Brett is such a vibe

Whoa–I didn’t expect that :flushed: that’s really cool to hear :heart:

this does seem to be the top of many peoples stories :smiling_face: :+1: The vibe/atmosphere is great as I remember it!

6 Likes

Since we’re on a Sherlock media chat, anybody played the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective boardgame?

2 Likes

Seconded! I haven’t seen the older adaptations, but I think Elementary gets the characters most out of all the modern adaptations.

3 Likes

I’d have to say my favorite is Robert Downey Junior mainly cause I like the idea of a Sherlock Street fighting and I like that idea cause it kinda makes sense I mean in most depictions the police don’t really like him that much and he’s dealing with criminals sometimes directly sometimes indirectly plus Robert Downey Junior is just a good actor and did a really good job with what he had, now don’t get me wrong I always appreciate the source material but yeah that’s my favorite.

6 Likes

Jeremy Brett for sure. I like the old times atmosphere and Jeremy looks very Sherlock-y.

2 Likes

I have not–But I’ve heard about it! Sound pretty fun imo :smiling_face:

1 Like

Patreon

I know this probably looks like an April fools prank on a day like today—but it is not—I’m in the midst of making a Patreon and here is the waiting list if anyone would like to be notified when it launches: https://www.patreon.com/DorianaGrayGames?utm_source=waitlist

:heart:

My plan is to start small–only one tier and mostly to give early access and fun little extras (or if u just want to go: “u know this was fun here have a money”) and maybe build from there if need be.

I kept procrastinating because… well, a lot of things. I wanted it to be perfect, I wasn’t sure I or the game felt deserving, money can bring tricky situations, etc etc etc. But it will never be perfect, and sometimes one has to fake confidence–so this is the first step to that!

Sign up for the waiting list if you want a notification when it launches with the new chapter and goodies :partying_face:

22 Likes

@reyn.ag
I hope you don’t take offense but I disagree quite strongly with the cons. Maybe it’s just because we have different tastes.

The choices, even if numerous, provide more of a flavour to the story. I rather liked having so many options to choose from and their accompanied writings.

In fact, one of the reasons I love this game is because of how many choices you can pick and the many ways you can customize your character.

Like the 6 bird choices or 11 how I felt being a detective. There are a lot of choices. And I liked that because I could pick the choice that resonated me the best.

Yes, the options like clothing may not show up or affect the story much. However, there is a reason why most IF games usually have them in their story. It makes the story more immersive and engaging.Don’t know about others, but it certainly would reduce the immersion for me.

The game is a romance detective one, after all. So I’d expect romance to be a major focus along with detective stuff. And the way it integrates romance looks pretty good, to be honest. Sure, chapter 1 could have more Watson but that’s because more Watson is always better.

I think if chapter 2 had some more scenes it would have been even better. For example, if chapter 2 and 3 were combined. But maybe this is the style of the author and I have no complaints because overall the talk with Watson was good enough that it’s still quite strong as a standalone chapter.

The name sounds good enough tbh. Is intriguing, easy to remember, sounds pretty and has gravitas. Never even once did it felt like a fanfic title to me. And I have reads hundreds of them. Just Sherlock doesn’t quite sound as good as Sherlock Holmes. And ‘A Heart’s Affair’ made me think of a tiny heart going about it’s business and affairs.

However, 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart", that did make me think of a romance focused Sherlock Holmes story. It’s an attractive title, that’s for sure.

38 Likes

It’s pretty fun (and hard to get maximum score). It’s basically you seeing how well you can match Sherlock in solving crimes (I think we once BEAT Sherlock by one move). The only downside is that it has basically no replayability, but if you like detective’ing I’d suggest trying to get a second-hand copy of it (just make sure there are no bits missing).

5 Likes

When you have too many choices not only will the game feel more shallow but those choices won’t matter as much compared to having few choices.

The more choices there are the less impact they will have in the game. Thats why Fallen Hero is the most famous and overall best IF game because a lot of the choices including backstory, power and even the previous name have impact.

If you want a bunch of choices that won’t matter as much it will feel shallow, the same reason having 3-4 ROs vs 8-13 ROs won’t be as good.

There are games right now receiving revamps because of their abundant of choices which became too much, both Power Grab and Dawn of Heroes are getting cut and remade because a lot of people said the same thing.

One reason why Sherlock is an iconic character is because his personality strengths are set which is his high intelligence and erratic behaviour.

Another reason why too many choices isn’t good is not only can’t the author use it in the game in depth but the coding is going to be a nightmare as they will have to write multiple variations of the same scene if the choices are going to be integrated into the story. A balance must be done.

For example its fine to have 12 choices of what your room is going to be because it won’t affect the story but if other characters comment on your room then you’re gonna have 12 variations which is a headache for the author but even then that’s just a “flavor choice” which doesn’t matter that much.

Now for choices that do matter it would be a superpower in a hero game, if you have 10 powers that can be used now the story can’t focus on the the power in detail and the story becomes more shallow. Another case would be having 10 ROs now the story can’t focus on a few ROs in detail.

Its quality over quantity. Just lessen the choices, let’s also not forget that the author has to code all of this and a lot of choices will be a nightmare to make especially when making a sequel. Thats why Wayhaven takes 2-3 years per game as its a really linear game while a Fallen Hero game takes 5-6 years to make as its less linear but the quality is still as good as a linear game.

4 Likes

I believe that @Doriana-Gray possesses the writing talent and the coding skills to be successful, no matter the quantity of choices presented. Doriana-Gray has successfully balanced both quantity and quality so far, from what I have read. I believe this will not change as the story-game is written.

There are a couple of articles I suggest for those who wish to learn more on this topic:

and

These are both by a master of IF writing (Emily Short) and talk about balance and how to achieve it.

Going foward, please keep other WiP mentions out of this thread and focus on this WiP.

Also, as an aside: Having “more” choices does not automatically mean the choices are shallow, nor does it magically complicated coding.

30 Likes

While I understand the worry about having too many choices to handle and actually share it about many other WIPs, I have to agree that so far, the author has demonstrated they can handle the current ‘amount’ very well and strike a good balance.

As for the title, I don’t see the issue, it’s already way shorter than many titles from actual Sherlock Holmes books.

16 Likes

good game produce dopamine in my brain

this concludes my review

15 Likes

Sorry, but “less is more” approach to the choices-based game doesn’t make any sense. 1 to 3 options? One option isn’t even a choice, it’s the absence of choice.

100% agree with you that customisations make the story much more immersive, it’s also one of my favourite things about this WIP.

Flavour text adds immersion, it’s not insignificant. I’m not trying to argue with your opinion, but you should understand, that if something isn’t to your taste, this doesn’t automatically mean it’s an objective flaw of the story.

24 Likes

Yet the most popular games are Wayhaven and Fallen Hero and they are extremely linear compared to other games. Results speak for themselves.

What I have noticed is that linear stories tend to have more emotion and story behind them.

Also “interactive fiction” isn’t really a choices based game but its a story with choices. Thats why linear games are liked compared to non linear games. It should be a story with different branches and different reactions to the story but a story first and foremost.

Not to mention other authors have flat out said that when a game has a lot of choices it makes coding a nightmare and right now some of them had to cut multiple chapters from their own game as a result of many people saying the same thing. This is made worst when a sequel is being made. Again this is from other authors not me.

I’m saying this while the story is still early as I’ve first hand seen authors ruin and remake their entire work, some even having 10 chapters+ and they slashed like 5 chapters.

Now if the choices are simply “flavor” and inconsequential like “hey what does my room look like” or “what dress am I wearing” thats fine go have 12 options since it doesn’t matter and its just flavor.

However If your choices are to be integrated into the story such as Fallen Hero’s MC’s Power and backstory or Wayhaven’s MCs occupation then sometimes an absence of choice or less choices matter.

Too many choices aka golden paradox can also confuse the reader as it did for me, studies have shown this to be true.

Again I think the author did a great job and this is just a small minor point of advice to cut down on too many choices especially when it will affect the story somehow.

In short the less it matters then more choices is fine but if its important than less choices or sometimes even an absence of choice is preferable for an in depth reading experience in the story.

Again thats just my take on it if other people disagree then its cool as I personally enjoyed this short WIP more than most, 3 chapters of good writing and fun, its just the many many choices overloaded my brain.

3 Likes