The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Ch 5: 10 Nov 2023)

True, hmm :thinking: Perhaps if itā€™s toggleable and the toggle is clearly stated as being both very obvious and appearing only at this specific time :thinking:

yesā€”I hope they will find the final needed balance in this little puzzle of what-to-do :smiling_face: (once I get there, of course)

Oh this could workā€“thereā€™s a point where this could be applicable, and I could try and make the ā€œbreak offā€ point very heavy-handed, to be sure.

I do really like the idea of tying the TW to the villainā€”that works well!

I very much agree with this :heart:

@Phenrex yeah, a toggle would work well for such a warning, I concur :blush: :+1:

Notedā€”I would never force an immersion-breaking warning on people. I personally find it distracting, too.

Thatā€™s probably a different debate, but I agree :smile:

I think I agreeā€“for I canā€™t remember seeing it much :thinking:

Hopefully, thereā€™s a way for both groups to be ok ā€” whether that is with toggleable warnings, overtly clear choices, or some other solutions.

Yes! Thatā€™s also why I like (3) because it allows for quite complex RPing, where the player sets a scene where the MC is, well, in a bad spot.
:heart:

19 Likes

@Doriana-Gray ā€“ Before doing too much work, I would suggest contacting Choice of Games directly by sending an email to support@choiceofgames.com and asking them about your plans.

Remember, this publisher is built around certain ideals (found in the FAQ) and things that go against those ideals may need to be changed or removed before being published.

The decision makers will most likely need to see what you write, but establishing if your ideas meet the base-lines before anything else is advisable.

They allow a lot (ie, jun/junko in SoH) but there have been projects delayed or not published as well.

6 Likes

Ohā€“then I will! :+1: Thanks! I was thinking of doing this anyway, about how far the vices can go, and, more specifically, what language is allowed around the ā€œlegal medicamentsā€ vice. Currently I try and be a little coy with the terms/vice, but maybe that isnā€™t good enough. :sweat_smile:

I found this on the faq on the regular site:

Games must not contain deeply offensive material, such as scenes that glorify sexual violence or racist attitudes.

I canā€™t see my game doing either of these things :thinking: nor would it reach near jun/ko levels (with what Iā€™ve heard that that romance contains). Hopefully, thereā€™s some clarification to be found in an email, or perhaps there are more specific rules somewhere. By the way, do you have any examples you remember that are ā€œno-noā€™sā€ that I should look out for already?

Thank you for the warning :heart:

Edit: Btw I saw this rule on the site: ā€œThe title of the game must be 30 characters or less. This is a hard requirement of the Google and Apple platforms.ā€ ā€” but, I saw a game that was published despite having more characters. Do you know if this is only a requirement if the game is published outside of the omnibus?

I suppose the gameā€™s title could be

sherlock - affair of the heart

(if spaces count)
or

sherlock - an affair of the heart

(if spaces donā€™t count)
:thinking: (ignore this. This is just me thinking out loud.)

20 Likes

Maybe you didnā€™t read it properly.

But its already stated, that that route would be optional, and the only one losing agency, would be the MC not the player, its clearly stated.

Secondly, donā€™t forget that this fiction. So those kinds of things are perfectly fine, as long as the player is not forced into them.

If people dont like it, for whatever personal reason, they just cant simply ignore the option and go on.

Just let other people enjoy the read.

23 Likes

If COG doesnā€™t want to publish with doriana, It will be COG loss, not Dorianaā€™s loss. Of that Iā€™m pretty sure

28 Likes

If Jun/ko manages to be published in a COG game, and they are forced upon the player no matter what. I donā€™t think you have anything to worry about, especially if itā€™s content that can be toggled off / avoided.

38 Likes

I definitely did. If you actually, yā€™know, read the full interaction properly, youā€™ll note that this was an addendum to the initial discussion.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t think you were planning to glorify sexual violence or racist attitudes, but when it comes down to it, that is the staffā€™s call on what they will or will not go through with in publishing.

So, as you say, better to go to the source of the decision-making for clarification.

They most likely will say ā€œcome back with something to show and weā€™ll say thenā€ā€¦ things often change from conception, implementation and submission, after all.

No, this is an area where I do not provide feedback because it is ultimately something that is fully decided by staff. I hope that makes sense.

As far as I knew, this was still something dictated by the stores, but this is something support should be able to answer as well.

4 Likes

What about Sherlock Holmes - AAOTH? I like the full name.

1 Like

I actually think that deleting Holmes is better if we have to cut corners in some way, because every MC is Sherlock, but few MCs are Holmes.

9 Likes

That would make an interesting two choice poll. How many do vs donā€™t use the surname Holmes for their MC. ā€œSherlockā€ is just a nickname for mine, but the surname is definitely Holmes. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Haha, exactly the same case for my MC as wellšŸ˜†

3 Likes

:pray: I hope so :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:+1: Yeh, Iā€™ll send an email during the week and hope for the best :smiling_face:

Ah, okay :smiling_face_with_tear: :+1:

:+1: :+1: :+1: thanks! :heart:

:thinking: Like, with the initials? Like a lil riddle for newcomers in the name, haha, might fit the theme even :smile:

true true, and that was my idea with my proposition :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Ohhh I should! I also wanna ask people their viceā€“tho I might wait until Iā€™ve updated the next chapter; I fear people might not remember what they chose right now since itā€™s been a while :joy:

21 Likes

Is anyone playing as Enola?

3 Likes

I canā€™t officially add it as a preset nameā€”but I hope some people are playing as Enola! That would be so cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™ve even put in a small Enola Holmes reference in chapter 4 :sparkles::relieved::sparkles:

17 Likes

Iā€™m okay with all 3. As long as I have a choice thereā€™s very little Iā€™m not fine with in an IF and I always like more stuff. Just depends on how you want your villain to be I guess.

If itā€™s mandatory, itā€™s another story and that would really depend on how it fit the story and characters or not rather than about the content or how problematic / unproblematic it is.

Iā€™d say once it start detracting from the overall story. If I canā€™t go two pages without it happening, itā€™s gonna be tiring fast. Same if I canā€™t go two pages without being asked how I felt about the one time it happened. Thatā€™s when it would be too far for me.

Also I like the idea of the content, if only because I have never seen that in an IF before and I like variety.

1 Like

There was something like that in form of Jun / Junko, but this option seems more tame in comparison. Many books, with Mecha Ace and Soul Stone War as prime examples, allow you to romance the villain, but, again, with the exception of Mecha Ace they still feel very tamed and safe.

3 Likes

I meant more the aspect where the villain outright make moves on you, with maybe some dubious consent, though I guess Junko still fits, fair point.

1 Like

I think Hawkins also makes some moves on you, if only once and in a specific situation. If you decide to smash their armature with Caliburnā€™s missiles and arenā€™t fast enough, I believe, Hawkins will act somewhat flirty after catching an armature with insufficient speed.

Soon, the Imperial is almost on top of you. Hawkins lunges in, grabbing your machineā€™s arm with the Vallier Customā€™s off-hand.

ā€œTell me something, pilot,ā€ the Imperial says, ${hawkinsex3} expression sly as ${hawkinsex2} poises ${hawkinsex3} monosaber to strike. ā€œAre you always this much of a tease or are you planning something special just for me?ā€

I think another example is Angel from Aegis Project. They throw you to metaphorical wolves after seducing you in the prologue and openly say theyā€™re planning to use your infatuation with them in an ending which I got for my character.

2 Likes

No need to worry about either pointā€“it would be very optional and at a specific part of the game. The only thing to worry about is how ā€œobvious / direct / omniscientā€ the related choices should beā€“did you see this: post 893 ā€“ on how much distance the choice should/can be from the action? I think that is also one of the main things to consider. It seems the second choice is currently the favourite of the options.

I can confirm, based on what people have told me about jun/ko, that it would be much tamer. How I feel is that it would, hmmm, how do I explain it? It would be quite tame compared to jun/ko, yes. But I still want the MC to feel like the villain has a level of unpredictabilityā€“even in the romance. I want to have that tension that one has in a movie when you know something might explode any second. And while I have no want to write very dark things, I find the unknown necessary (for the MC not so much the player) to give the villain the right weight.

12 Likes