The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Chapter 3 update: 14 October 2022)

Allow me to answer this properly, I hope it’s not too late.

There would be no copyright issues, as long as the author don’t reproduce certain scenes of certain works.

But the figure of Sherlock Holmes? Is 100% free Domain.

Why? Because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was European and his work was publised in London. That means that it will go by European law.

Now I shall quote the EU on that (which btw it was a retroactive normative)

“Copyright in a work in Europe lasts for 70 years after the death of its longest living creator. If copyright is held by a corporation, then it lasts for 70 years after publication. Once this temporary protection has come to its end, the work will fall into public domain.”

The first story made by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring Sherlock Holmes was “Study in Scarlet” in 1887. Following that rule and even if “Doyle State” are the descandants, the character copyright has already expired.

So basically, when it comes to the figure of Sherlock Holmes, the author shouldn’t worry.

PD: I found a bit weird questioning the copyright of a classic

(Disney loves to sue everybody btw)

7 Likes

Mystery, murder, and romance? I’M IN!

2 Likes

This one’s so good! I love how varied the character you play as can be… you can be a hundred different people, all of them deranged in varying amounts and flavors. It’s so fun. I also like how you get to choose your character’s opinions on all sorts of things, down to their own face lol.

The writing style is lovely too. It just has such a nice sound when I read it in my mind. I found the character creation just a bit exhausting near the end though, just the bit about what outfit to wear to dinner cause you had to go through three (I think?) lists all after each other in the middle of the story. The creation in the beginning seemed less intrusive because the story had not begun yet, but the part about what the character keeps in their pocket was nice and added a bit of depth to the MC, I think.

The love interests seems wonderful, so far. I can’t help but feel like Watson hides some deep, dark secret, no one is that sweet… right?!

2 Likes

Well, if you count being a veteran a dark secret :smile: But it’s not a hidden one.

2 Likes

I’ve never needed something so badly without knowing it then with this game.

Everythings really evocative and I love the tone what with how it reflects the original stories but also gives it a more personal touch.

I think where I really fell in love with it was when I was eating with Lestrade and chose to throw my sandwich-half on the ground out of awkward sympathy, it’s something so specific and unique showing how your character is able to be multifaceted and choose different actions with the same result, but with different motivations.

On a more personal note I’m not the type of person who generally lacks representation, but being able to choose the depression flaw and the story not just acknowledging and reflect that as a core part of the character, and not just realistically portray the actions, behavior, and relationships of the MC and the others, but realistically and accurately portraying what those are when it comes to longterm depression and that reflecting in the characters who have clearly been dealing with it for a long time…

Well being able to see and play as that type of character and reflecting my own battles with longterm depression, well I just don’t have proper words for it so all I can say is thank you.

Thank you so much.

8 Likes

@nolosepos_pospos Thankfully the copyright issue is near its end :blush: In about a week the final books are out of their USA copyright in full :yum:

@MadDog5 :kissing_heart:

@Opticfiber Ohhh! Yes, I wasn’t entirely happy with the flow of the dressing scene—I’ll probably go over that one again later on :blush: Thanks for letting me know, please tell me if there’s any other fixes that I could do :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (I have a lot of love for constructive feedback :laughing: :+1:)

Watson, huh? :face_with_peeking_eye:

drop sandwich in solidarity is at this point a meme in the discord :laughing: Everytime I write silly things like it I am always seconds from deleting it–until I remember you, the readers, seem to enjoy such things :smile: (which I am happy and thankful for!) :heart:

:heart: :face_holding_back_tears:

22 Likes

I think I found a bug. My Watson was Jane but this part treats her as John

7 Likes

I love how WHINY that paragraph is. “Mimimi unsafe mimimimi dangerous for the brain mimimimi imminent destruction mimimimi. I never get to have any fun.”

12 Likes

Take it easy on Watson. Hanging out with Sherlock is probably the most fun they’ll have so what happens if Sherlock gets stabbed? No more fun for Watson.

10 Likes

That wasn’t me talking about Watson,it was me talking about Sherlock. They’re the ones who’re whiny.

12 Likes

That’s why we love them though. :wink:

3 Likes

I think there’s a drabble on the Tumblr blog involving Sherlock getting stabbed.

2 Likes

I am in love

2 Likes

@Personaddict07 Thanks for the error catch! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:smiley: There’s two! (or wait, was one getting shot?)

Very glad to hear it! :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart:

8 Likes

One was Lestrade seeing Sherlock shot, and one was Watson seeing Sherlock stabbed. Since Bored mentioned Watson and Sherlock getting stabbed, I was precisely referring to this one.

2 Likes