The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Ch 5: 10 Nov 2023)

Haha, I picked the outfit for the best RO pair and didn’t know it!

5 Likes

I’m not sure until I meet them :thinking:
At first I thought I would never choose H romance route for this MC, because he tends to … uugh, I wanted to use certain idiom from my language but cannot find English equivalent. Never mind. His attitude is like all aristocrats are uninteresting and unworthy of my time.

But damn, H taking care of MC, that’s adorable :pleading_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: They could be curious couple - rich, elegant, the perfect member of high society and eccentric, clumsy mad scientist-detective.

I guess Lestrade may have competition :joy:

10 Likes

Oh for sure the second one!! That’s absolutely one of my favorite dynamics in fiction. Can’t wait to meet H!!!

5 Likes

rolls up sleeve

Here’s the vein, pump it directly in there, please and thank you.

6 Likes

So cute! I definitely feel like this fits my MC. I always play a sort of version as myself, but I couldn’t do that with the “vice.” I couldn’t see myself doing any of the options, so I ended up with the staying in bed one. So with her bored=deep melancholia (big word alert :joy:). And I definitely think H would be really good in that kinda situation. Opposed to L and W who are, of course, super worried and cute, but don’t know how to help other than offering up a case

3 Likes

Oh no problem! I truly think its important to remind artistic people about how amazing their talent and work is…I think especially authors tend to forget, because rereading & rewriting the same thing start to just twist in your mind like when you look at yourself for too long in a mirror.

I am a sucker for the grumpy workaholic Mr. G Lestrade :black_heart: :bookmark_tabs: buuuut the mysterious X person grabbed my attention and I cannot stop thinking about them…like in real life :joy: the dream was so (I don’t have the word capacity to describe it) it was so consuming like sowing a seed of obsession and it is growing, can’t stop won’t stop thinking about them!

o m g

Oh hell yeah! :facepunch:

When the ROs are so good i have 10 saves & jump from one to the other to experience everything simultaneously cause im that greedy & need everything now :joy:

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with you! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

:kissing_closed_eyes: :ok_hand:
(going for that Watson & Lestrade LT?) :face_with_peeking_eye:

@Cingulum_diaboli
:laughing:

That is quite the pairing, I have to agree :sunglasses:

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
Aww yay! I know some people hate that type of relationship, I assume that’s why (I feel like) it’s quite rare in IFs, but I hope to avoid those issue by making it depend on your interactions with H :blush: So there’s something for everyone

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Coming right up!

Yeah, I get that. Some of them might feel a bit extreme—which is of course on purpose, but still. I understand how that might get weird with self-insert playstyles :thinking:

They all have ways of handling MC, definitely :kissing: some better than others… :grimacing:

…That’s exactly what it is like :laughing: :smiling_face_with_tear:

Mmmm, an X and Lestrade LT, I really like that one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I love this game! Good ROs good romance good story🥰

3 Likes

:heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Aww, I’m glad you like it! Thanks for commenting :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I read this random thing on the ending of mass effect. It talked about how one of the writers had wished it had been more stimulating for more different mindsets (intellectually stimulating, stimulating for people who care about characters, for people who want action etc.), and it just made me think that the last two chapters have mostly been character based (I tried to add a little action during the bird chase, but tbh that was not all I wanted it to be, nor does it have much action for all routes), and the next two will also be quite character-based. It does intermingle some other stuff too, but it’s not until chapter 7 that we get another real investigation like the first chapter (and this time, one has more choices in its turnout). The only thing between chapters 3 and 7 that will do something beyond character stuff is a small small puzzle.

… Is this a mistake? It feels like a mistake. I don’t want this game to only be interesting if one cares a lot about the characters (although the characters are a large part of the story and plot, and gameplay). But I don’t know how it feels to play the game, so I’d love some input. Maybe when you actually play it, it is a totally different experience than what I think? Maybe you think a puzzle would help. Maybe it’s alright as long as much of the character stuff is very optional. :thinking:

30 Likes

I’m not sure we can make this determination just yet. We’re playing as you update, which is a different experience than playing the game in one go. There’s no way to tell how playing the finished game will feel right now.

THAT SAID, I’m always up for more puzzles/investigations, so, uh… :smile:

9 Likes

There are definitely a lot of people who want to play a Sherlock Holmes game to be a detective and to do an actual investigating job in the game. But I think you shouldn’t put those kinds of scenes if they are not truly fitting to events you plan to happen next, because the same very people might then say that these scenes felt shoehorned just for the sake of it. So if you feel like there’s no room for investigation scenes/puzzles yet, you shouldn’t try to force them in just so they could be there. Plus you market the game as “romance detective game”, not just “detective game”, so character stuff shouldn’t be unexpected for readers. And that’s okay to get more character stuff now, provided that we get to do a lot of interesting detective work in later chapters. But I confess my opinion is biased, because characters are the most important thing for me in any story.
And anyway everything you have written so far for this story was absolutely fantastic, so I think you’ll make it work! :sparkling_heart:

27 Likes

I mean if you really want a Sherlock vibe, the mysteries are kind of nothing without the characters surrounded by it.

It’s very rare for a mystery story to not present the whole cast before starting any investigation outside the introductory one that show of the MC’s skills.

19 Likes

I’m one of those character players, so I’m perfectly happy with no massive puzzles between now and then! (But I wouldn’t be put off if you include some.)

8 Likes

I may be biased in my opinion, but I prefer “character driven” stories over their “plot driven” counterparts. In short, I think what you’re doing is great!

18 Likes

Yeah–that makes sense, haha. Sometimes I forget that the creation process—which is very long—does not at all correlate to the length of the gameplay yall experience :joy:

Niceee :ok_hand: :sparkles:

Yeah, mmm, that was my fear, and it seems you all feel the same way :kissing: :+1: then, as all I feel like I can fit is a small puzzle, that is what it will be. :heart:

That’s true :ok_hand: hadn’t thought of that :laughing: :+1:

@furyleika @_Ashley :heart: :heart: :heart:

18 Likes

I have pretty much the same opinion as most people replying to this; I personally, also prefer character driven stories. However, I don’t think adding a puzzle or two would change how character driven THIS story is, and… I really like puzzles-

However, always put the story before any additions. If it throws off pacing or feels wrong, you shouldnt.

4 Likes

Don’t rush it, just let your imagination do it’s magic and write what story you want and most importantly have fun

Adding puzzles just to make it more intellectually interesting never ends well in my opinion it’s has to be baked real good into the story or it feels like a meaningless puzzle

A solid story with choices that has impact on the story/game is golden

4 Likes

:smiling_face: :ok_hand:

Mmm, that’s fair :relieved:

4 Likes