Ten years of Choice of Games: What are your favorites?

i really freakin liked tin star :bangbang: the customization blew my mind when i first read it. i also liked a wide use of time and Choice of Robots for sure

5 Likes

My top 10 would be:

• A Midsummer Nights Choice
  • Choice of Rebels
  • Choice of Alexandria
  • Fallen Hero
  • Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven
  • Evertree Saga
  • Creme de la Creme
  • So, You’re Possessed!
  • Keeper of the Sun and Moon
  • War of the West

And the special mention would go to Psy High bc that was the first CoG/HG I’ve ever read and started me off on the road of becoming a fan.

13 Likes

Choice of Rebels: A magisterial debut, this author has managed the rare feat of creating both a compelling dark fantasy novel and well-balanced game experience.

Choice of Magics: A gamebook with excellent replayability, creative endings, and a perfect balance of gravity and levity.

Pon Para: An action-packed heroic fantasy with a unique and well-made character customization system.

Tin Star: The stats system is by this point, dated and clunky. But that shouldn’t deter you from picking up this well-researched and eminently enjoyable Western.

9 Likes

-creatures such as we will always hold a special place in my heart being the first if I’ve downloaded/read in my life
-zombie exodus (safe haven)
-fallen hero
-keeper of the sun and moon
-the wayhaven chronicles
-rent-a-vice
-samurai of hyuga (even though the last book was… well, that)
-werewolves haven rising
-the grim and I

10 Likes

Creme de la creme surprised me. Not usually went for high school fic, but this one is gold.

Wayhaven for classic vampire romance. The amount of flavor choices is just amazing.

Sordwin/Evertree saga for high fantasy fic. The way it is written just makes me fall for it. The characterization is also engaging.

Zombie safe haven. The amount of choices and details… I have more than 10 MCs, and I’m sure there are things I have yet to discover.

6 Likes

No particular order just as they come to mind

Samurai of Hyuga series (probably my favorite :grin:)
Choice of vampires (my first COG)
Keeper of the Sun and Moon
Pon Para
A Study in Steampunk
Heroes Rise Trilogy
Wayhaven
Breach
I, Cyborg (love the light hearted tone, easy to get into)
The Aegis Saga (just a masterpiece of a story, the music, art and the twist in the finale)

3 Likes

I would struggle to put these in order as there’s too many good ones, but if I had to choose a personal favorite 10 out of CoG /Hosted:

• Breach: The Archangel Job
  • Wayhaven Chronicles
  • Evertree Inn / Sordwin Saga
  • Fallen Hero: Rebirth
  • Lost Heir Series
  • Samurai of Hyuga
  • Waywalkers University
  • Dragon Racer
  • Heart of the House
  • Slammed

I do have to shout out The Courting of Miss Bennett and Choice of Robots for being two of my first games.

5 Likes

I’ve played far to many, and spent far too much money on 'em, rarely going back to replay, but these ones I continually come back to and enjoy:

Sabers/Guns of Infity (which in my opinion is the greatest example of historical themed fiction I’ve seen, and you should absolutely give it a read if you’re a fan of the napolanic era and fantasy)
Samria if Hyuga (Pretty cool setting and characters, but it’s getting a bit too anime in my opinion)
Fallen Hero (A kickass showing of a dark hero tale)
Choice of Rebels (Do I need to explain why this is great? Some amazing world building and excelent display of how game and story can murge in this genre.)
Zombie Exodus/Safe haven (Some really awesome characters and interesting story telling… even if one of the endings is the worse thing ever and fills me with anger)
Doomsday on Demand (I don’t think its particularly well written, but it’s got a really cool world and I enjoy imagining my character)

There are others but this is getting way too long, and these are the first that come to mind.

Edit:
And Wayhaven is pretty kickass

3 Likes

the infinity series is my absolute favorite, along with choices of robots, the tin star, fallen hero, and zombie exodus

Choice of vampire, Choice of magic, Tower behind the moon and Fallen hero are my favorite

I have bought almost all of them. But I remember repeatedly doing the Marines Raider one when I was at gitmo in 2011

If I listed all my favorites, we’d be here for far too long, so I’ll give you my top 5.

1. Keeper of the Sun and Moon
  2. Tin Star
  3. Pon Para and the Great Southern Labyrinth
  4. Metahuman Inc.
  5. Either Fallen Hero: Rebirth or Tally Ho!
3 Likes

Tough choice :slight_smile:

1 - Choice of Robbots
2 - Tower Behind the Moon
3 - Metahuman Inc

Honorable mention: Choice of Alexandria

4 Likes

1- “Welcome to Moreytown” (it was my first COG game so it has a special place in my heart xd)
2- Tally ho
3- The Wayhaven Chronicles
4- samurai of hyuga (all books …?)
5- Psy High
6- hero unmasked!

(the list could be even longer haha)

4 Likes

I’m not. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is one that I love to replay. I also really love it.

1 Like

ah, what a refined taste you have my good friend haha

1 Like

Let’s make a top 5 from 5 to 1, shall we?
Tough, some of them - well, most - are unfinished series, so the list is bound to change.
Also, I have two ex-aequos on number 3, because I’m totally unable to decide which one of these two I like more at the moment - it will be determined with future books of the one that’s unfinished. When one of them prevails on the other, number 5 will get kicked.

5 - Crème de la Crème: an extremely unexpected one to me. I strongly dislike school/college or similar settings that do not feature any kind of supernatural elements. Really, usually a story should have supernatural things in it for me to like it to begin with, but the school setting is an extremely big NOPE without any magic or superpowers. I really played it because I was curious about the very positive feedback, and I was bored, so I thought “why not”. Didn’t expect it to make it into my top list, even if it’s the last place.

4 - Community College Hero: judging by book 1 it shouldn’t have made it into the list, but book 2 was so awesome in my opinion it highly bumped it in my ranking. I don’t necessarily think it’s better than Crème de la Crème per se, but it’s higher because it’s a series, so it can become even better in the last part, and besides I always prefer longer stories.

3a - Heroes Rise: the first game of the kind I got REALLY passionate about, and what started my empowered hero obsession, for GoG/HG games. I don’t have much to say, really. I love the trilogy - I love every single bit of it, and I’ve replayed it multiple times. I wouldn’t be playing so many of these games if I hadn’t played that specific one.

3b - Fallen Hero: kind of a wild card for now. Only book 1 out, but I already adore it. At the same time, I dread the future in this specific case. I don’t like to play villains, and I really pray for a redemption path to be possible, but it’s way too early to tell. It’s really hard to know where will the story go. It’s a depressing game, but it’s so good.

2 - The Wayhaven Chronicles: another curious case. I’m very picky when it comes to stories about vampires (as in, any type of vampire related fiction). The ones I like, I truly adore with my entire being. But most of them, I think are garbage. I don’t have any form of middle ground when it comes to that. So, to be sure, I waited the entire time until book 2 came out before playing. Sure, purchasing two books is a bigger risk, but considering this was planned to be a series from the beginning, I wanted to have a bigger part of the story on hand at once. I don’t regret it one second. I love it waaay more than expected. One of the aspects I’m veeery grateful for is the first person perspective (man I hate the “you” thing since I don’t identify with the MC) and the fact you have “shy” romantic options. I don’t like playing characters who openly flirt, so I often have to make them act out of character just to get a romance. None of that here.

1 - Samurai of Hyuga: well, that one isn’t unexpected. I love it. I love every single second of it. I can’t even tell which book is my favorite. All are, really. Great story, amazing characters, cool setting, drama, drama… and did I mention drama? And a crazy “wolf”. Really, I don’t have much to say about that one. I love everything about it, I literally can’t find a single flaw about it.

Aaand, there’s one more contestant that’s a bit of a weird case. Keeper of the Sun and Moon. I can’t put it on the list because frankly, I don’t like it nearly as much as Crème de la Crème. Thing is, it’s only the first book of a series, and it gives me the same feeling as the first book of Community College Hero, which, I remind you, wouldn’t have made it into the list on it’s own. I think it may become awesome with book 2 and onward, but as of now, I can’t put it on the top 5.
I also have a soft spot for Fatehaven, but it doesn’t make it worthy of my top list. It’s a big soft spot, but I don’t think it’s such a good game per se.

3 Likes

Uhm, I have played quite many though here is my 7 favorite list so far:

1. The Lost Heir trilogy ( I often replay it and still hook by the story)
  2. Wayhaven Chronicles (Felix :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)
  3. Fallen Hero Rebirth (unexpectedly captivating and heartbreaking, I patiently wait for the update! :kissing_cat:)
  4. Hero Rise, from Prodigy to Redemption Season
  5. Highlands, Deep Waters (the story is intriguing for me who didn’t familiar with Scottish folklore, a bit spooked me but I loved it)
  6. Evertree Inn and Sordwin
  7. Affair of the Court ( the first COG I played a long time ago^^`)
4 Likes

10-Choice of Robots
9-life of a Wizard
8-trials of a demon hunter series
7-choice of rebels
6-diabolical
5-affairs of the court
4-infinity series
3-heroes rise series
2-lost heir series
1-zombie exodus safe haven series

6 Likes