Temple of Endless Night (Released!)

I have a few questions to the people who read the demo (even just the prologue). I’ve been thinking about rebalancing the class system. It feels like it’s not good enough at this point, and I’d like to make it more diverse. I’ll ask a few questions, and, hopefully, you’ll be able and willing to give me some answers, comments and ideas.

1. I want to delete the mage class and turn the Scholar into a mage. The Scholar would have two functions: knowledge and magic.
  2. I could then add an alchemist class. Alchemy (Western Alchemy) started in Egypt, and I think it could add some interesting options to the game.
  3. I need more options (choices) for soldiers, mercenaries and spellswords. Any ideas? Did you feel like there were any wasted opportunities connected to the lack of these options?
  4. I’m also considering combining the thief with the assassin. That would open a spot for a class that could focus on artistry and purity - singer/musician/fan-bearer.

None of the above are final concepts. They are just questions. Please, feel free to write as much as you want. If you have any other questions, I’d also be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

7 Likes

Changelog
19 July 2020

• Added the third part of Chapter 1 (ca. 2000 words, excluding code). The second LI is introduced. I’m not sure if there’s gonna be an ace path for M. We’ll see.
  • Fixed a few spelling errors.

I think there won’t be any new content until I get these classes fixed cause they’re really getting on my nerves :upside_down_face: I might need a day or two to figure them out.

4 Likes

This demo is really interesting and well-written! I have to confess, though, that I was more or less going with the flow and just enjoying the world you established, until the line “Eight, nine and ten. Ten. When you left Iunu, there were ten of you.”; this got me hooked, I literally sat up straight in my chair and replayed the whole thing just to check that. So, like, thumbs up! xD

I haven’t exactly played all the routes (yet), so I don’t know if I’m the best person to say, but…

1. That does sound like a good idea, and both of the classes seem to start more or less at the same place (studying old papyri), but I have a question: would the character have to focus on one of the functions? Because if so, maybe that would only mean you’d have to split the scholar scenes into more branches, depending on the player’s choice (which is not bad, but also sounds like a lot of work when you could have them just being different classes).
  2. I didn’t know Alchemy started in Egypt! That’s really interesting :eyes: if you don’t mind me asking, though, what would an alchemist class include?
  3. Up until now, I didn’t feel like I lost any opportunities. Maybe there could be more choices in the training scene? That being said, in relation to the narrative, on that climbing the rocks scene, I think it would be interesting to see (especially if you choose to climb higher) a different description depending on if your occupation is physical-orientated or not :thinking: I mean, if my character spent the last ten/thirteen years/most of their life with their nose on a book, I don’t think they would necessarily be adept at climbing dangerous places. But that’s just a suggestion.
  4. Considering that the skillset of those classes is basically the same, I don’t see why that wouldn’t work (and I don’t think this specific merging of classes would necessarily imply more branching?). If you don’t mind me asking (again :sweat_smile:), though, what would a fan-bearer be like? I mean, what do they do?)

I’m a bit confused about something:::when the caravan is at the cavern, there’s an option to try and steal something, but when I pick that one, the character’s patron deity chides the MC for stealing. I mean, if my character is a thief, wouldn’t that kind of be the point? I thought that might’ve been related to what deity I’d chosen as my patron (since there are differences like Hathor encouraging her followers to always be kind, or Ra and following the law), but I replayed it a few times with different deities, and it always happens the same. (did I purposefuly pick deities whose encouragements would clash with my MC’s occupation to see what would happen? maaaaybe)

Another thing I noticed: if I pick thief as an occupation, it’s said that MC’s parents abandoned them when they were still a baby, but regardless of that, in the dream scene the MC still dreams about them and the house where they were born in

Oooh, also, I think I might’ve found some typos! If I pick Myrine instead of Zephyros, after the “How does that make you feel?”, the second choice reads “He might be attractive, but I don’t feel anything. I prefer men.” instead of “she”. Also, when the MC wakes up after dreaming about their parents, if I pick “I already know your name.”, then Menkaure says “It’s nce to meet you” (in one of my playthroughs, this scene didn’t happen and I’m still trying to figure out what I did differently lol).

P.S.: with my occupation as priest and being from Iunu, I tried always picking the choice that would give me favor with my patron deity and my stat ended up at 106%, is that supposed to happen or…?

2 Likes

Changelog
20 July 2020

• Added two new classes: Alchemist, Singer.
  • Totally rebalanced the class system. Classes: Scholar, Priest, Alchemist, Mercenary, Soldier, Rogue, Singer, Spellsword.
  • Rebalanced social skills. Added a new choice in the prologue to pick one of them.
  • Deleted flirting. It’s no longer a skill, but flirting (obviously) stays in the game.
  • Added a unique reaction from the PoH when the MC is an Alchemist.
  • Renamed certain attributes.
  • Added agility as one of the attributes.
  • Rebalanced the gods. They now give attribute bonuses instead of social skills.
  • Added a choice for the Alchemist class during the investigation scene.
  • I might have forgotten about something :sweat_smile:
5 Likes

Gods, that’s a long message :smiley:

First of all, thank you for reading! I’m really glad the end of the prologue got you excited. I’m really grateful for all the feedback. I’ve already made some changes to the class system (see the update), but I’m definitely going to consider all your observations.

1. The Mage is ekhm… here no longer. The Scholar now functions as a mage.
  2. The Alchemist… Oh, right. I forgot to mention in the update that I also added the Alchemy skill. The Alchemist is like a mage, but they are simply more into herbs, metals and potions than they are into reading. They can do magic, but they will also have certain choices that will let them use alchemy. Basically, potions and poisons.
  3. If your strength (Physical Capacity) isn’t high enough, you kind of fall down… There’s also a check that lets your magic save you. I will think about expanding the training scene. Maybe I’ll just write a few different versions. Currently, there are three (?) versions of that fight, but the differences aren’t huge.
  4. The Assassin is gone. We have a Rogue now.

The fan-bearer is a title given by the Pharaoh. Fan-bearers carried fans for the king and made sure he was okay. The thing is, most people had multiple professions in Egypt. There were priestesses who were also singers etc. I was simply thinking about turning the fan-bearer into an artist. Right now, I added the Singer class. Same thing, different name.

I know about the issue with stealing. While all major gods are against stealing, I am considering adding a lesser god (like Bes), who was mostly worshipped by the common people. He wouldn’t mind theft. Perhaps even Bastet? However, that moment would still happen. It’s triggered by your favor. If your favor is high enough, your god/goddess comes to warn you that this choice may lead to your death. And you can die in that scene :smiley:

As for the parents, I will write a separate scene for the Rogue. I must have missed it.

Already fixed the typos!

As for Menkaure, there are maaany checks that lead to this scene. The most important stats for this relationship are education, willpower and knowledge of netjeru. Not every class will be able to get to him. It’s not a bug, though.

And I’m not sure what to do with this 106%. Let’s leave it for now :joy:

4 Likes

I think there was maybe half an hour between my comment and the changelog, and I immediately went “I’m obsolete now ;a;” when I read it :joy:

I hope you don’t mind me rambling, because, uhh, I’m really invested in this story?? Which means going over the same scenes time and time again because I am filled with curiosity (and currently have too much free time in my hands :sweat_smile:), but also, uhh, long… Messages??

I tried my hand at the new classes, and also spent some time trying to get some scenes you mentioned (I’m usually unlucky on my first tries at demos, when I read that I could’ve died in that scene I was like “wait, what??” because while I was playing earlier my MC came out unscathed every time, and that’s usually unheard of :joy: (but, to be honest, the patron deity did warn MC, which is probably why mine didn’t die) same goes for realizing I could’ve fallen while climbing). My favourite up until now were the rogue and the priest’s routes, but I’m thinking of fleshing out a more elaborated MC for the singer route because, for me, the highlight of the update was the “Armed with your beautiful voice and and inspired heart, you are ready to fight for your dreams.” line. I couldn’t help but remember some of my earlier playthroughs in which the MC attempted singing and the entire caravan stared at them like “okay, you can stop now” :joy::joy:

The conversation with Master Ahmose about being a thief in Egypt made me go “ooooh”, because, I’ll be honest, I had completely forgotten that that was a thing (cast a new light on the whole “stealing the caravan” thing too :sweat_smile:)

Also, I realized something, I don’t remember if I picked the different options of descriptions about my patron deity before, but when the wrath option ends, everyone (read: MC and the priestess lol) is smiling?? It’s something that caught my eye because I read the siblings story as a cautionary tale (?), so I imagined a tone more serious…

Something that I think I missed earlier while playing: when picking Sekhmet as my patron goddess, the section “Sekhmet encourages her followers to” stops at the “to”? D:

Another thing I noticed is that, if MC’s a priest, at the section where it talks about them reasearching about the temple, there’s a line that reads “It talked about there being a very sevretive (…)” instead of “secretive”. Still on that section, if MC is a scholar or alchemist, they start the same (“Thanks to your warm relationship with history it turned out that you did know more (…)”, but then the next page reads “(…) your limited education and lack of passion when it comes to science (…)” which doesn’t… Make a lot of sense? I mean, priest/scholar/alchemist are three options based on the love of science, and the very previous page told me they had found out a few things about the temple.

Still on that (it’s the part that gave me most “trouble”, I think lol), since the singer grew up in a noble household, shouldn’t they have a less limited education when compared to the rogue, or even the spellsword? (I don’t really like how that came out, but I don’t know how else to word the question, sorry ;-; )

Another typo: when talking to the Priestess of Hathor, there’s a “(…) speak loud enoguh (…)” instead of “enough”. And, if MC is a priest, when offering to set up traps, there’s a “god” in the line “It’s quite funny how little most people know about the nature of the god” that I think might’ve meant to be “gods”?

On a sidenote, I should no longer be allowed near the favor stat, because my last playthrough finished with it at 123% :joy:

1 Like

@groundzero Omgs. You’re not obsolete. Tbh, you are very useful, and this is exactly the feedback I asked for :smiley: So I’m really grateful.

Of course, I don’t mind you rambling. Duh. (Bad Guy in my head… turu tururururu.) I love long messages. I was just kidding with that “oh what a long message” comment. I’m happy that you seem to be enjoying the story.

I definitely feel most comfortable writing things for the priest route, and that’s probably why it may feel the most fleshed out. That’s exactly why I’m asking for feedback and ideas. I need to know what choices people would like to have/see. The singer needs work. I do know that. I think the alchemist should be fine. There are two unique scenes for them, and they also use some of the magic triggers. The priest and the scholar should be fine too. At least I hope so :sweat_smile:

About that religious story. The MC and the priestess are smiling because they’ve heard the story before. I might make it so only the priest MC will smile, but, well, since they are the ones telling the story, they shouldn’t really be sad.

Okay, I think most of these errors should be fixed now :smiley:

Btw, is the Greek mercenary okay? Cause I feel kind of weird about this character after the scene with Menkaure. I think M. is more fleshed out because there’s only one versions of him? I worry that Z/M won’t be as good. That they may feel less special. Any opinions? :laughing:

Also! I totally forgot about it. The singer has +30 to education. The rogue and the spellsword have only a +10 bonus. 10 is the smallest possible bonus. You have 5 when you start. Iunu gives +10 (?). So perhaps it wasn’t the singer’s fault but an outcome of some other decisions?

1 Like

I liked the mercenary! I mean, not gonna lie, Menkaure did sway me for a moment because the mysterious, possibly highly dangerous and morally dubious character trope tugs at my heartstrings (I haven’t picked which, but one of my MCs is definitely going to romance him :eyes:), BUT ALSO, the mercenary sounds not necessarily like an “easier” romance route, just, they seem a mostly/more friendly character in general? Which I totally dig; the interactions so far were cute, amicable without feeling forced or rushed.

Still, if that keeps bothering you, maybe making some differences between Z and M could help? Nothing big big, I mean, more like tiny differences description-wise: the colour of the horse, one smiles unabashedly while the other looks a bit sheepish, those kind of things? It’d still be the same character, just different flavours of (mostly?) the same personality.

… The flavour thing sounded less weird in my head. Anyway! Something I forgot to mention previously: I think the sanity stat is a really interesting choice, narrative wise, and I gotta say, there were times in which I picked choices that made the MC feel “spooked” just to see how that would turn out; the lower the sanity stat is, the more paranoid the MC sounds, and taking into consideration that the line about the ten people in the caravan had me replaying the whole demo just to see if I was being tricked or not, it’s genius.

P.S.: I just realized I keep replying in the main thread, should I reply specific messages instead, or it doesn’t make a difference? :eyes:
P.S.²: I’m glad longer messages don’t bother you :grin: also, good music taste!

1 Like

@groundzero Well, Menkaure is dangerous, but he’s not really crazy. One thing I should mention (here, but not in the game) is the importance of propaganda in ancient Egypt. The inscriptions the MC was translating were written by someone that came after Menkaure and, which is important, wasn’t his friend. They were carved by someone from the Pharaoh’s court, and that means politics were taken into account. It’s a bit (but not really) like Hatshepsut or Akhenaten. Their legacies were destroyed, erased from memory after their death.

While Menkaure wasn’t a legitimate ruler, he didn’t necessarily have to be the monster they described him as. Spoiler alert: He’s not even the most “evil” love interest…. :joy:

Actually, the sanity had no checks as of yet. It was meant to be that way, though. The first sanity checks… I might be writing them today. I have like three possible deaths I need to write today… ekhm.

Speaking of sanity. While everyone else starts with 80% sanity (including the MC), M. has only 40. But I think it makes sense. You know, considering what happened to him.

Oh, btw. This game ends after seven days. Which means the romances need to be going smoothly, and I don’t think I’ll be getting rid of the prologue flirt option with Z/M.

Also, I don’t think it’s possible to answer a specific message. I think it’s displayed under the main discussion either way.

2 Likes

So… just finished the demo and I have to say it is really amazing. To sum up my thoughts in a total of two words it would be “Yes please!”

2 Likes

Guess we’re screwed if our love interest is the type that prefers to take things slow and steady, huh?

In all seriousness, this is a novel concept. It’s not often you see games, COG or otherwise, set in ancient Egypt.

I especially like the part where we can call up our patron god and they come to us in person and talk about our fears and also being scolded by them. Really gets the protagonist aura going if we’re getting special treatment. :hugs:

I’d be interested in seeing more of this.

3 Likes

@KIogenta22 Thank you so much! I’m really glad you like the story.

@RagEgnite Kind of screwed, but not really? We won’t get things like marriage proposals after a week of knowing someone (though I know these things happen in real life…), but I am considering adding small epilogues (a year later etc).

I’m really glad you like the setting! I live in ancient Egypt. Erm. I mean it’s in my head. The life… Okay, that sounds bad :sweat_smile:

We are definitely going to be getting more interactions with the gods! I will also try to make every deity unique. At the moment, only Ra has a unique conversation about having to go to the duat. The others have generic dialogue, but(!) it will change in some later update.

Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

Hello!! First of all I have to say I really enjoyed playing your demo! I always find the concept of mixing magic with our world (whether historical or present day) to be very interesting, and so many authors present so many different and unique takes on it. I was also pleasantly surprised that your story deals with Egyptian mythology, because I love reading about it but oftentimes find that stories of Greek mythology are more common (or maybe that’s just me.)

I felt that your prologue did an excellent job of setting up the world and getting us started on building our character; your writing style is also very easy to read and flows well. I loved your descriptions of the setting, too, and I’m sure it’s bolstered by the fact that you’ve been to Egypt yourself!

I found myself a little confused on how the class system is supposed to work though? For example, when it comes to the night in the cave, I’m given the options to train, study, preach, sing, or steal. Does picking one set me up as a certain class? Or do all of these options boost your stats? (if so, I’m not sure what the point is…) Also, how is your level of innate magic determined? I picked alchemist in the prologue and figured I wouldn’t know very much magic, but as I entered the cavern it turns out I do know magic, and additionally I can decipher the ancient symbols? Hmm it was just a little strange because it felt like I suddenly became Scholar character.

Also, I was confused by this line in the prologue, describing Zephyros: “Even his energy seems to be unusually calm. Light gold mixed with stripes of pale blue.” Can we see people’s energies as visible auras? I was slightly confused because these energies were not described previously.

Lastly, very minor thing but I found a handful of typos in my playthrough. I’m on mobile right now so I don’t have the means to show them, but if you would like me to run through and point them out, let me know! I would be happy to.

Now I’ve only done one play through, but I’m excited to see where the story goes! I’m actually really looking forward to playing again to try choices I didn’t pick today. Your foreshadowing in the beginning of the first chapter is strong indeed haha and I’ll say you’ve got me hooked!

Keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

(p.s I apologize for the long message and if the question about the classes was answered already :’))

2 Likes

@Aerin Good morning! (Afternoon? Evening?) :upside_down_face:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the demo. I’m really glad you enjoyed the story and the setting. I was a bit worried that Egypt may seem a bit too alien for some people, but I guess antiquity is antiquity.

As for classes, there are three types. Magic-oriented, strength-oriented and classes that mix things together. Scholars, Priests and Alchemists can all use magic. In some cases (though it’s not like that for the MC) priests have more powerful magic than scholars. This is caused by the fact that Priests are the most important people in the social hierarchy after the Pharaoh. They have the most resources, the law is on their side, and they have the favor of the gods. They, obviously, also have restrictions that are necessary to preserve said favor.

The things the MC can do in the evening are not determined by their class. However, only a Rouge can (should be able to?) actually steal something and get away with it. The others can try. The same goes for singing.

Also, some checks don’t check your class but a particular attribute.

However, classes are important. There are many checks based on what your class is, and there will be many more. They’re not just flavor. Oh, and every class will have a unique ending.

The thing with the symbols is supposed to be accessible by certain classes, but it’s not supposed to check your class. It checks education, willpower and knowledge of netjeru. Not in that order. This plotline is supposed to be open to scholars, priests, alchemists and singers. If you were able to get to Menkaure without being one of these classes, please do tell me.

I would be very grateful if you could point out at least some of these typos! But you certainly don’t have to do it now. Maybe when the next update is out and you have an actual reason to replay? :relaxed:

As for myths and stories, I wrote a bit about them earlier in the discussion.

Once again, thank you for reading!

2 Likes

I have to confess, I googled the names because I had no idea who you were talking about :sweat_smile: Akhenaten sounded really familiar, but I couldn’t remember where from until google recommended me the Nefertiti search and I was like “oooh”; I’m pretty sure my Art History teacher from high school talked about them more than my History teacher when we were studying about Egypt… anyway

That makes sense :eyes: I mean, there’s a hint at it on the line, I can’t remember it whole, but how things get removed from records when they’re “bad”; it wouldn’t be far fetched to believe that everyone else played Menkaure as worse than he really was (and his sanity % is, like you said, entirely justifiable…)

ALSO, I’D FORGOTTEN THERE ARE TWO UNREVEALED ROs oh my god why am I like this ;-; (excuse me while I go pick a 4th favourite class just so I can have one different MC to each RO :joy:)

Oooh, the sanity stat thing, I actually meant how picking “This place feels wrong” at the part where we have to say how the MC’s feeling, that not only lowers the sanity bar, but shows a following text with a tone that’s completely different from the others. I replayed it a few times, and it always gets me thinking that if it were me, that’d be the moment in which Santa Claus is Coming to Town would start playing in my head with only the “you better watch out” line.

I was going to ask if the amount of days had anything to do with the Plagues, but then I remembered those were ten and not seven :sweat_smile: though I don’t know a lot about Egypt anyway, so I might just be speaking gibberish lol

Is there a specific reason for the number of days? (or is that a spoiler :eyes:)

I don’t know if it showed up differently for you, but I meant it like this :eyes: I tried the reply button at the corner of this message instead of the one at the end of the main thread; it’ll show here regardless, but I have no idea if it makes a difference to you (since the main thread is yours anyway :joy:)

1 Like

@Aerin it’s definitely not only you :c I think it has something to do with Greek mythology being more constantly depicted by the media? Books, movies and all that… I mean, from the top of my head there’s Hercules, the whole Percy Jackson thing, Wonder Woman, even Xena was based on Greek mythology, wasn’t it? But Egyptian mythology, the only one I can remember is that 1999’s The Mummy movie (as far as I can remember, the Scorpion King franchise wasn’t that famous), and the 2016’s Gods of Egypt (that, if I’m being honest, I never watched). There’s the Kane Chronicles also from Rick Riordan, but as far as I knows those books also don’t get as much recognition as the other series… Anyway, I’m going off topic.

@Dariel, I forgot to say, now I’m definitely tempted to try getting the thing with the symbols with the classes you didn’t mention :joy: I’ll see how that goes and be right back

2 Likes

@groundzero Oh. I honestly thought these two names were quite famous :smiley:
Akhenaten changed the religion in Egypt to monoteism with a single god who was the sun, but wasn’t Ra. Next generations tried to destroy all traces of his exitance. Tutankhamun (Tutankhaten - the solo god was Aten) was his son.
Hatshepsut ruled as a Pharaoh for many years. She was often portrayed as a man. After her death, Egyptians tried to erase her as well. We are not sure why that was the case, but there are many ideas. She was a good ruler, though.

Just remember that I’m not saying Menkaure is a saint :smiley: He’s definitely not what most people would consider a good person. He’s quite selfish, but he cares about his things. No more spoilers…

Number 7 means something perfect and complete.
You can read about it even here.

I wouldn’t use Christian associations for a story that’s set in ancient Egypt. Egyptian religion started thousands of years before Christianity. The earliest written text from Egypt (religious) is over a thousand years older than the Bible.

Also, this will be in the Chronicle of the Kingdom of Egypt, but Christianity isn’t a big deal in this magical version of the world.
These are the major religions around the world:

• Egyptian Religion (Maat);
  • Greek-Egyptian Religion (Maat as in the moral code + normal Greek beliefs);
  • Mayan-Egyptian Religion (Maat + normal Mayan beliefs);
  • Slavic-Egyptian Religion (Maat + normal Slavic beliefs);
  • Nordic Religion;
  • Buddhism;
  • Hinduism;
  • Judaism (only in Israel);
  • Christianity (only in North America).

This state of the world is caused by the fact that Egypt is the most powerful (and the biggest) country on Earth (I have a map, but it’s ugly and I need to take some time to draw something better (oh, btw I can’t draw xD), and the Pharaoh is the head of the Golden Alliance (all Maat countries) that was established to protect the “good people” from Rome and Canaan (Canaan is the Christians who don’t really like all the pagan countries; NA).

All of this will be easier to follow once I upload the full version of the Chronicle :sweat_smile:

@groundzero @Aerin Also, if you want to watch a decent tv series about ancient Egypt, I can honestly recommend Papyrus. It may be mostly for kids, but it’s still quite informative, and I personally love the way it portrays some of the gods. Papyrus.

3 Likes
My (somewhat) comprehensive guide to what I spent the last two-or-so hours doing (with spoilers?), under this "hide details" thing because it got a bit long

Decided to start trying to get the dream scene with Menkaure with the Rogue (because it’s my favourite class), and picked the following choices:

• Waset (because it gives me knowledge of the Netjeru, which I only remember getting a lot of as a priest?? so I figured it would be the hardest stat and the best to begin with)

Spent about ten minutes coming and going from the patron deities page and eventually had to write down what stats they were changing because there were too many deities and I couldn’t keep track of everything

• picked Thoth (since knowledge of the Netjeru was already a go, let’s get a bit of education :smiley: )
  • digged as deep as I could go to try figuring out what happened with the worker (I can’t resist fighting common sense, or climbing higher lol)
  • my impressive education means I notice the writings inside the cavern :v (I got some more % in the education stat?)
  • played a song and everyone got happy?? I hadn’t noticed my artistry stat going up :joy:
  • looked up the symbols, stats didn’t change
  • tried to translate them and got the full translation?? YAY
  • dreamed about Menkaure :smiley:

My final stats were 33% education, 25% willpower and 25% knowledge of the Netjeru.

Tried the same with the Mercenary and it worked (\Õ/), final stats were 33% education, 35% willpower and 25% knowledge of the Netjeru.

Tried with the Soldier, too (the caravan had to suffer through MC’s singing this time around :joy:), and it also worked :smiley: final stats were 48% education, 25% willpower and 40% knowledge of the Netjeru.

Tried picking “the other way around” (Iunu as the city because it’d give me more education stat), kept Thoth as the patron (after checking my notes) because none of them changed the knowledge stat and I figured more education wouldn’t hurt. My knowledge of the Netjeru never rose except for when I picked the class (tried with the Rogue), I couldn’t fully translate the symbols, and I never got the dream :c

I was going to try the same with the other classes, but then I realized I didn’t try getting the dream with the Spellsword (through the Waset route), went back and did it again. The caravan once more suffered through MC’s singing (at this point they probably want to kill me just so MC will stop), but I got the translation and the dream :smiley: stats were 33% education, 35% willpower and 25% knowledge of the Netjeru.

Went back to the Iunu attempt, and, since the soldier was the one that finished with the most knowledge of the Netjuru, tried that with them. It worked then; I got both the full translation and the dream with Menkaure :smiley: final stats were 58% education, 25% willpower, and 30% knowledge of the Netjeru.

@Dariel it could also be that I just have a bad memory :sweat_smile: I was going to ask my sibling about it, since we had the same classes back then, but they’re sleeping and would probably try to kill me if I woke them up lol (Tutankhamun I could remember, though??) anyway, thanks for the series recommendation! :star_struck: I’ll definitely watch it.

I can’t draw maps, either, so I understand your pain :joy: tried a few times for an original story I was planning, and never finished because just looking at the squiggly lines made me want to give up and burn the whole thing lol and, since you mentioned the Chronicle (thanks for the explanation, btw xD), I have a question: timeline-wise, when does the story happen?

Also, about the Plagues, only after reading your answer I realized the question could’ve come across as insensitive, and I apologize if that’s the case; it wasn’t my intention to offend!

1 Like

@groundzero Oh, no! This is truly terrible :smiley: I’m going to change it in the next update to make sure it’s impossible for these classes. Soldiers, mercenaries etc shouldn’t be able to read the version of the language that has been out of use for over three thousand years. Thank you for taking the time to check it so precisely!

Haha, yeah, don’t wake them just to ask about it.

You don’t even need to watch the whole series. Every episode is a bit like a separate story. They are connected, but you can also enjoy them separately.

When? Erm. That’s a great question. I’m not exactly sure. Definitely after Alexander the Great. Hmm. It does still happen in antiquity. As in actual antiquity. Tbh, the world in this alternative universe still looks and feels ancient in “modern times” (as in our times - Mariah Carey and stuff :laughing:), but that’s because the Golden Alliance is against the use of technology. Canaan=Technology. Golden Alliance=Magic. So even if the story was happening right now, Egypt would still feel very similar.

And I know you didn’t mean anything bad when you mentioned the plagues. It is one of the things people associate with Egypt, and there’s nothing that can really be done about it. Hopefully, most people know it’s just a story :smiley: According to the Egyptian accounts, (and they wrote everything down) there was no such thing as an exodus.

Erm. But maybe talking about religion isn’t the best idea :smiley:

Question: What was the lowest your sanity level got at the end of the demo? (Just don’t count the playthrough in which you lost a hand or died.)

1 Like

Changelog
21 July 2020

• Added a portion of the fourth part of Chapter 1 (ca. 1700 words, excluding code). I should be able to upload the full version of Chapter 1 in a couple days.
  • Added the second part of the Chronicle of the Kingdom of Egypt (ca. 250 words, excluding code).
  • Increased the amount of willpower needed to read the translation.
  • Reduced the amount of attribute points gained from picking the home town.
  • Fixed a few spelling errors.
1 Like