Telltale Games shut down--and was just bought and "revived"?

I really liked GOTs. In my opinion, it’s worth playing again. You already bought it, might as well get your money’s worth. It is pretty railroaded through much of it, but there’s some differences.

1 Like

While I haven’t played any of their games yet, this is very sad to hear.

Kudos to Ubisoft, this is pure class. There are other developers that tweeted about this but only put a link to their careers page, whereas Ubisoft are actually arranging a time to meet up with former Telltale employees about job opportunities.

13 Likes

Perhaps…
But have you considered :
1)playing the games about another 20 times? With different choices etc?
2)look at the game purely for what it is :
Did it had a compelling storyline?
We’re the character interesting?
Did the characters had archs?
And a lot a lot more things.
Also think about this : is not creating a compelling story with narratively good characters and interesting archs and fantastic dialogue more important than player’s amount of choices and how much it matters? Those people(which are pros btw) put a lot of effort in creating the skeleton story(the base story) and sometimes is just better to enjoy a carefully crafted experience, than to experience the freedom of choice. Books work by the same principle. Also consider this : meaningful and impactful choices means that the story must be rewritten everytime we take one, so the authors have to basically write 20 stories derived from the base story, which either they don’t or they make the story 2 hours long.

3 Likes

Perhaps playing the game 2 times is not a bad idea, opposite approaches

1 Like

They advertise CHOICE game has zero choice. If I want read books I bought books. I have replay Walking dead one and seen walk through of several GAME ARE EXACTLY SAME THING. Exactly word by word. In The game of thrones the difference are so minor you have to highlights difference frame by frame to notice.

I bought if For choice interactive. To role playing. I can’t role if I have no choice. Their games have the replay value of a potato

6 Likes

Choices=/=roleplaying
Did you read the part in which I specifically said that for a game to have impactful choices you must rewrite the story 20 times? Its just too hard.
And it seems kinda naive of you to believe them on even word they say. Choice games will never have that level of immersion and meaningfulness to their choices because it would require too much work for payoff that might not be that great

2 Likes

“Job at ubisoft” is similar to selling your soul to the devil…but it feeds the family and pays the bills.

They lie to their fan base and I don’t care if is too much work they advertise and promise something they don’t deliver. Instead of make four billion of games same time do games with effort could have been far better. I decided two years ago never waste another penny in their work and probably I am not the only one who decided that.

4 Likes

Technically they have choices, but not impactful ones. So they didn’t lied to their fans. Not only you are being mean, but you also have unrealistic expectations. Also the fact that you did not read anything I wrote just shows how biased you are. You just hate them. I brought lots of arguments in their defense, and you didn’t even bothered to read them, bringing the same reason over and over again. Just say that you hate, you have the right to free speech

2 Likes

@DudeInArmour @poison_mara
Take it to a PM please.

2 Likes

I don’t hate them. I bought several games from them . Like The back to future and their remaster of Monkey island 1&2 The walking dead 1 and 2 Game of thrones and the first season of Tales of borderlands.
I have praised the writing of first Walking dead and the voice acting. I think it deserved game of the year.

However, in my opinion quality drop and drop down in writing and even graphics. There were several criticism in the workers about crunching and the fact their engine was so old that they had working double to make episodes.

1 Like

Also how you create a new topc/thread? One might say I feel a bit unconventional this day

This sucks but isn’t entirely unexpected. Season One of TWD was amazing and set them on fire. Their biggest issue seemed to be 3 real issues, at least from why I stopped buying their stuff:

1. Not enough innovation. Before Batman, which was too little too late, none of their games seemed dramatically different than the others. Most were dinged with the “illusion of choice” and since it was true enough, once most people heard that was the case, they stopped buying their stuff. I know I felt that. After all, why play the game when you “know” that all your choices won’t matter?

2. Too much diversification. They seemed addicted to the high of S1 TWD and were trying so desperately to get another fix that they way overextended themselves. I mean people still haven’t played WaU yet. And after you miss a few, at least for me, it feels weird coming back in again. Kind of like the episodic nature transcends specific games and is indicative of their brand as a whole. I feel if they’d stopped try to hit it big, built up their current IPs, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. As much as I loved GoT, I would have loved WaU 2 more.

3. They stopped making their games portable. I guess they were so big at that point it didn’t work but the fact that the games went from able to play on your iPad and iPhone to suddenly not was also jarring since this “small fun time” game was now “forcing” me to sit at my gaming station.

Despite not playing a TT game in years, this news does suck very much

9 Likes

Choice we’re never implemented properly in games. Hell, the illusion of choice appears even in real life

2 Likes

Honestly, that doesn’t matter in public opinion. Telltale got the reputation of being a “diamond game” (all points start and end the same no matter what) and irregardless to anything else, that’s what affected many people when deciding to play one of their games.

To drive the point home, I only ever heard about that phrase in relation to TTG despite living post ME3 (also a great game that got a bad reputation for “illusion of choice”)

3 Likes

Even with their limitations, Telltale Games was one of the first tastes of IF for children and adults who, unlike me, weren’t trawling the internet at 3AM playing text parser adventure games on a Sunday morning. Though the crowd who were already deep into more choice-intensive IF bash them for being too restrictive, things like The Walking Dead served as a gateway that got people into both the graphical adventure genre, and the interactive fiction genre. And even if I am among the people who was disappointed with the vast majority of choices available in their games, they consistently excelled at telling compelling stories.

And, regardless of whether you like them or not, hundreds of game developers have just lost their jobs. And as someone who has gone through rocky transitions with my own jobs, I can safely say I wouldn’t wish thst on anyone.

15 Likes

I agree with you And I don’t want those people lose their jobs or the close doors. I have only give my opinion in the reasons why they have closed. However I hope that being talent people they find job soon. Also I heard the conditions of their cease was very very crappy for them.

3 Likes

I really wanted to see a second season of The Wolf Among Us, that’s kinda sad.

6 Likes

While I know many of you were taken by surprise by this news, Telltale Games was a zombie company walking for a few years now.

There were signs that the culture of the company was toxic and chaotic and the stagnant creativity was evident in their development strategy.

When you are a niche developer, your operations margins are razor thin and any mistake will usually cost you more than it would a larger more mass market studio.

Telltale games green-lit many projects that other studios wouldn’t and they had wonderfully talented people working on these projects but they pursued a market-place strategy that (I believe) led to their downfall.

EA can license an IP like Star Wars, make mistakes up to and including major industry-controversial blunders and survive. Most niche developers need to make all the right moves without fail in order to survive the year.

Telltale Games started to change and evolve their culture and developmental model but was unable to pull it off within the time they had - most everyone here no doubts wish they had.

The talented people at the studio should all land on their feet - this type of closure has been seen before and time after time those with talent and drive survive by finding new homes or even striking out on their own and perhaps this will turn out better in the long run.

As to the catalogue of titles, I believe they will cycle through and will be picked up sooner or later.

Sad news that everything has ended the way it has but not as surprising to me as it was to others.

33 Likes

Triggered
Also my thoughrs exactly.
EA is kind of why smaller developers have to work extra hard. EA uses the same assets again and again, while still earning the big buck(cocaine and hookers), bringing no innovation. While small devs have to work extra hard to make a game, which will only bring a fraction of what EA earns. At least if game awards(GOTY) would go to small devs, they would get the much needed exposure, but instrad they go to big time companies.

2 Likes