Tale of conquest: Histoire de conquête. (New link)(Wip) Minor update 5 october 2019

Hello, everyone. So I started this wip a long time ago. Maybe some of you will recognize the title: Tale Of Conquest. The story I had at that time wasn’t really let’s say solid, so I had to stop it after a few weeks of writing. I didn’t want to delete it in case i came to need it one day so I just put it in the background. Now, after a year of lurking trough the forum, reading other wips and finished books, I have gained some writing experience. I realize that I jumped to quickly into deep waters when I was not yet ready to swim at all :joy:. But now I’ve had a whole new idea for this story. And I sincerely hope it doesn’t end like its predecessor. The new title is:

Tale of conquest: Histoire de conquête.

You can play the history in English or French. But don’t worry, the story is the same in both cases except that I changed the names of a few characters for adaptation in each language.

I plan to write two Books so part of what i will say in the summary will be probably in the second book or at the end of this one.

Summary

You were born in a small village called Smithvalley. Everything were fine in there except the fact that your father never said anything about his past. You just know that it’s been seven years since he stepped on Parsian soil, seven long years since he’s hiding in the kingdom. Of what? You don’t know even your mother don’t. The only things he shared about his past with you was his parents’s names.

The years passed peacefully until the day when the kingdom of Parse entered into war with Gaia. Your father was conscripted into the army to protect the kingdom. He didn’t wanted to go, but he had no choice: first because he risked to be sentences to death by refusing and secondly, if the kingdom lost the war, then he would lose everything he loved, that is, you and your mother.

So he left but never came back. Some say he was captured, others say he was killed. The only thing that came back was his sword. As his (son or daughter) and heir, you received the weapon, well, when you got old enough to hold a weapon. One day you discover a letter hidden in the hilt of the sword. It was for you. The writing was not very clear because it was written in such a hurry. All you can understand is:

“A great danger looms on the horizon. A danger that only you can stop. Get ready.”

So, will you save not only the kingdom: your home but the whole world? Will you die trying? Or are you Coward enough to run in front of death when all the hopes of the world are on you?

Update

Update 1

The stats screen is half done.
Prologuefr(French) and Prologueen (english) are done.

So, i deleted the game and recreated it with a new link cause i encountered some problems uploading my files.
I hope you will like it. And i’m looking for everything that can help me improve it. So if you find bugs, spelling mistakes (cause english is not my first language), or even help me rephrase things that you feel worth changing. Encouraging words are welcome too. Have a good day :kissing_smiling_eyes:

The new link of the demo is here:
Tale of conquest: Histoire de conquête (New Link)

41 Likes

Best of luck. Will play as soon as the stats are there.

Got any issue coding them?

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s a coding problem or something else but it keeps loading again and again without stopping when I press “Show stats”.

Yet I think I coded well, because I coded exactly like my other wip Virus Z where you can also choose the language. Virus Z works greatly for the moment. I have tested and retested it several times. But this one takes a long time to load.

If you get a case of infini-load, that’s likely because of infini-loop. Check out the possibility where your story can flow uninterrupted, without a break of *choice, *page_break, *finish, and the like.

2 Likes

Oh! I did’nt know about that XD. Thank you, i will go check it and see what i can do. :slight_smile:

You know what, don’t change, @Hattab05. Let the autocorrect be. I love seeing french-ised English.

2 Likes

Haha OK XD

The concept is interesting, but careful there’s quite a few writing mistakes. Ironically, I think there’s more in French than in English. For example, speaking only of the first page…

• ‘yet’ instead of ‘y et’
  • ‘désolé’ instead of ‘désoler’
  • ‘terminée’ instead of ‘terminer’
  • ‘jeu’ instead of ‘jeux’
  • ‘interactive’ instead of ‘interactif’ (in the English part of the text)
  • ‘which’ instead of ‘wich’
  • ‘Anglais’ instead of ‘Englais’ (in the answer options)
1 Like

Well let’s say that for the French i’m writing everyday since i started and quickly also because it will be easier for me to fix it after. So i will do probably much more spelling mistakes XD.

But for English I copy then translate with deepl and come back to paste. So it takes a little longer. Knowing that deepl does not translate exactly as I would like, I am forced to reread after and fill in the gaps with my average level of English XD

Thank you :slight_smile:

Doing a whole game in two languages though, bravo! That’s a big effort! :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Yeah quitte big ^^ Thank you ^^

Not to do a “drive by” here, but @Hattab05, have you confirmed with Hosted Games that they would publish this if you finish?

Note the HG requirements on the website:

Write a Hosted Game

Writing for Hosted Games

Anyone can publish a game under the Hosted Games label. Hosted Games are written without editorial support from Choice of Games, and you do not need to submit your ideas in advance.

At this time, we can only publish Hosted Games in English, but we do accept submissions from non-native English speakers written in English. (emphasis mine)

Hosted Games authors may be invited to pitch us to write for Choice of Games after publishing a Hosted Game.

Hosted Games authors receive a 25% royalty rate on sales of their Hosted Games.

2 Likes

I wrote to them and Someone named Abby Trevor responded.

She or he Said that:

Hi Alan,

Thanks for writing in! It depends on how you’re planning on doing it. If there’s a full version of the game in English, you write both versions, and you code the option to switch between languages yourself, then we should be able to publish that. But we can’t provide help with translating the game or coding the option to switch between languages, and we won’t be able to offer two separate versions of the app in the different languages.

1 Like

And guys i have a question:

Is the stat screen working for all of you? (Because it don’t work with me.)

Hi ! Your project seems pretty interesting, I’ll make sure to read it in both English and French :slight_smile: That’s quite a lot of work by the way, so best of luck with your writing ! Also, the stats screen is working for me, or at least I got a message saying that you’re working on it ^^

1 Like

Oh! It said that with me too. But i reuploaded the “choicescrpt_stats.txt” with the basic of the stats but it keep saying the message again XD.

Also thank you. I will do my utmost to finish it :slight_smile:

More importantly though: is there a market for it?

I mean, I’m French. Obviously playing a game in French won’t be any trouble for me. But the only reason I’m here is because I’m pretty confident in my English level. The only reason I know CoG exists is because I can manage well enough in English. So even if this game didn’t offer a French translation, I don’t think it would change anything as far as I’m concerned; if i feel it’s good, I’ll buy it. If I feel it’s not, I won’t.

So the translation would appeal to French speakers who know CoG exists, but don’t feel comfortable playing in English. I might be wrong, but I can’t imagine this makes a lot of people.

I don’t intend to discourage you - if you manage to do it, that’s great. But it’s likely to be quite a bit of efforts for little gains.

Well, it “works” in the sense that I get a blank page displayed instead of endless loading or an error message.

1 Like

Well, i’m doing it mostly out of passions. Since i’m more fluent in french than in english i said why not do both?

And sometimes i’m not at my house so it will be difficult to write in english without the wifi connection. To balance it i write in french when i’m out and when i’m at my house i juste copy, translate and paste.

I think it’s much more easier and quick that way.

As for the marketing and everything else, well i will just finish the game and hope for the best ^^

In the English version there seems to be a missing variable (last-name) here:

miss

In the French version I get this bug in both options:

badlabel

1 Like