Supernatural in New York (WIP) Announcement on post 1442

Yeah probably not that strong in the story. Shotguns aren’t really that big of a thing here unless you’re hunting birds, it’s mostly rifles of one sort or another, so not that familiar with the bigger rounds for them.

…but I kinda really want a saiga-12 anyway.

Okay, off topic. Looking forward to seeing how Vesper & Bill lines develop. Would be a little disappointed if Bill doesn’t turn out to have some kind of manipulative angle at the end of it :wink:

4 Likes

The power of the eastern dragon’s scales depended on a lot of things, such as the age of the dragon, and legend you would be specifically drawing from. Most Chinese dragons didn’t have “impenetrable” armored scales that were rough, and hard to the touch. They were often imagined to be as smooth as snakes. Snakes can be easily dealt with by as little as a large stone.

Move further west, and you meet the European Wyrm, which did have an armored body, but a weak n’ tender belly that needed to be protected by precious jewels, and gold, and other hard shiny things it could collect into its treasure hoard.

Here’s the main difference that should be focused on; European dragons are not widely known to be reasoned with. Eastern ones, however, are widely accepted as guardian protectors, and even deities that could be reasoned with. So I have this to say–just because you can shoot at Hu doesn’t mean you should. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

15 Likes

Really great analysis on actual dragon hunting and the types that have different strengths, weaknesses and character. Love it.

4 Likes

Since we have the option to date all the people on our team at a different moment than people not I was wondering if there could be an option like that? And is the fade to black mandatory?

Since you are reading the SFW version of the demo, sex scenes will be fade to black. You’d need to read the NSFW version for more explicit sexual content which is linked in the opening post.

2 Likes

Ha, I never knew that the European dragons collected all that gold for that reason. Also. Yay, updates :slight_smile:

Just a random thing to add- The Chinese dragon is also a symbol of power, strength, and good luck for people, and is worshipped throughout China. If you shoot at Hu, you’re asking for bad luck.

4 Likes

Exactly. The moment I read about the constant rain I thought to myself, “You poor baby! You’re scared of this strange new environment, aren’t you?”

I dunno how much research Rebelgirl did before writing that scene, but all the clues were there for those who would know how to read them. I adore my bond with Hu. :blush:

3 Likes

@Azraeel Thank you! I’ll change the wording. I’ll probably tweak with the swordsmanship stat to be an additional skill - it’s important if mc chooses to wield Eva - or find a way to use it in the cases available already.

I’m actually curious now. The shotgun is supposed to slow down the dragon, the rounds being infused with magic. Think of it like a tranquilizer. Would a shotgun be a good weapon for it? The point isn’t to kill Hu, just to help the girl seal it back till it can be safely let out in a forest.

@LadyUmbreon89 I certainly imagine Hu more along the lines of snake-like, and with a kind temper. He’s simply scared, after being released into a foreign city after years of being sealed away. [quote=“TheOfficer, post:1433, topic:6708”]
Since we have the option to date all the people on our team at a different moment than people not I was wondering if there could be an option like that?
[/quote]
I’m not quite sure what you mean.

It’s been such a long time since I wrote it, I don’t remember how much research I did honestly. But yes, Hu is just scared and confused and the option to bond is my favorite.

8 Likes

I dont think it’ll do anything to the dragon, except get it even madder. I dont think using any kind of (harming) weapon would really harm it- just make them more stressed. and since they aren’t harmful dragons, there’s no point in shooting it. Talking is the best option- other choices would probably anger the dragon, not help solve the issue.

Chinese dragons bring rain to dry crops, so the rain wouldn’t bother it. (although living in a city as crowded as NY would- they need space to move around)

3 Likes

I just realized I’m stupid and I got it mixed up - I meant hand gun, not shut gun. I’ll change the wording and also mention it’s a tranquilizer gun, not meant to hurt.

4 Likes

I mean yeah chinese dragons aren’t bad (and I don’t usually go that route because I for one welcome our new dragon overlords and I’m definitely not just saying that because Lofwyr would eat me if I didn’t), but well, si vis pacem, para bellum :wink:

European dragons: Afaik, the soft underbelly thing is mostly Tolkien. It isn’t mentioned in any mythological dragons I can remember off hand… but might’ve missed some somewhere. On hoarding, Fafnir + the fact that they’re often pictured as guardians and/or symbolizing greed. They weren’t exactly cute and cuddly, being generally predator expys, but their depictions turned far more evil with christianity’s rebranding of pagan myths.

Darts then, if it’s a tranquilizer gun? Shotguns do have the advantage of not needing as good of an aim as handguns or rifles, so if it’s magic tranquilizer shells or something, hey anything’s possible lol.

5 Likes

Tranq rounds can be fired from certain pistols. However if your wanting to use it on a dragon your probably gonna need a rifle round fit with elephant tranquilizers lol. The shotguns not a bad idea if you wanted to use a magically infused rubber slug. It would HURT but not kill. And if you wanted to keep the holster on the hip thing then you could say it’s a sawdoff doublebarrel with magic engravings or… something lol. I know guns but magic is… magic lol

8 Likes

I meant we can ask out members of Night’s Watch at the party and we can’t who aren’t members. Not trying to be mean, I just thought it would be cool.

We can ask out EV, who technically isn’t part of our team. Sort of? It’s kind of a do you wanna date thing, though granted she is going off to Spain, so that kind of makes sense why you wouldn’t make it official right away.

4 Likes

I mean, you can definitely have budding romances with people who aren’t on the team. We’ve spent more time with the members on the team right now, so I think that’s why the other romances aren’t at the same place.

1 Like

I wish there tho.

They will be soon enough! We’re all super excited to romance everyone we can, you’re not alone :triumph:

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback on the gun types! I’ll reread the scene and reword the weapon of choice!

You will be able to ask the others later. You can only start dating team members because you’ve interacted with them more than the other characters.

5 Likes

If you ever need help with anything gun related, I frequently visit gun ranges and seminars for stuff like that for my job. Feel free to ask me

5 Likes