Supernatural in New York (WIP) Announcement on post 1442

i was commenting on the tattoo idea @Nexus had
but there were supernatural elements in the movie that were controlled by humans throught tattoo magic(?) to basically summon fantastic beasts to fight her not really simmilar to the game just simmilar to what @Nexus had said

I do like your game though it makes me think: ghost-busters meets Cthulhu meets a more intelligent Scooby doo gang.
i just love to hate Greyson.
My top 3 favorite people Dominic, Cameron, and Lucy.
My most hated 2 are Greyson(Its just so fun to be a rival of him and hate on him) and Lucy’s assistant (I’m jealous of their relationship with Lucy)

3 Likes

@Drakeye I loved Scooby Doo when I was a child, one of my favorite cartoons :smiley:, I also certainly had ghostbusters in my head when I was thinking of the game and I read some works of Lovecraft and they scared the hell out of me :sweat_smile:

I’m glad to hear your opinions of the characters, be it love or hate, because it means they’re not indifferent to you. You’ll have plenty of oporunities to antagonize Grey :smirk: and you’ll be excited to know that Lucy will be making more appearances in the game :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yea i watched Scooby do a bit as well when i was younger even as a kid though i tended to yell at the tv for their obvious bad ideas they did. yea Lovecraft is definitely meant to scare it taps into our natural human reactions to the unknown, one of our greatest fears as humans tends to be what is just outside of reach and is unknown our urge to know and our fear of the unknown battle on a regular basis driving our culture and technology. it drives home the unbeatable fear that rules us all as a people and our never ending quest to beat it.

Does happy dance

What I liked about Lovecraft was his writing style, the way his stories managed to evoke powerful emotions in me (fear, unease, isolation) but in a way that was also what stopped me from reading more, but I did enjoy the few stories I read, especially as I am a sucker for mystery and they kept me on the edge of my seat. Roxy is more into horror stuff, and has started reading Lovecraft after I told her about him.

Guys, I want to ask you some questions, out of curiosity. Who are your favorite teammates so far? How about the ROs that have been introduced so far? Or the other characters?

@Rebelgirl I don’t know about the others but I’m using my phone so maybe that’s the problem?

@Reimi-Lyn When I first tried it out, I was also on my phone, and it gave me an error, but then a few hours later I gave it another try because Roxy said it worked for her, and surprisingly, it didn’t give me an error. It gave me no error when I played on my laptop, too. I’ll see what Roxy says about it.

I hope i get to see Hou again i like dragons

2 Likes

yea im hoping to see hou again too. If we dont, hopefully we at least hear about hou sometime in the future.

2 Likes

I liked all of the teammates so far. I try to play as a calm, friendly MC, and I never felt out of place when talking to anyone on the Night Watchers (1st option) crew. It manages to be short and sweet, but tells us quite a lot about the characters already without it being terse.

I’m also flirting with all the girls I can in case Cameron never takes the hint. Can’t hurt to have a back-up plan. :wink:

I for one enjoyed Hou as well, and I’m hoping he comes back later on, in some capacity. It’s not every day you get to talk to a non-humanoid dragon, you know.

1 Like

I’m in love with all the characters already. I can’t wait until this is finished and I can spend more time with the characters. It’s a shame lucifer isn’t a RO. I definitely would’ve sold my soul for that chance. Grey really caught my attention when I first played. I can’t resist anyone whose sarcastic and flirty. But of course I’m going to romance every character once the game comes out. I can’t wait :grin:

4 Likes

Roxy and I agreed to take down the nickname option, at least until she can figure out what went wrong.

I didn’t expect Hou to be so popular, but I’m really excited to see he was so well-received! :heart_eyes: I’m thinking of having him make an appearance later in the game if you bonded with him.

@RagEgnite I’m glad you liked the interactions with the characters! Don’t worry, Cam will take the hint eventually…or you may have to spell it out for her :wink:

@Pineapples Lucifer is irresistable :smiling_imp: He’s taken by Lamia, though, and he’s a very loyal boyfriend. I love writing Grey and his banter with MC :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Maybe someday I can be a dragon master. :smile:
I love all the characters, Lucy is on the top though. I just imagine that my mc have a whole wall full of Lucifer’s posters. This should be hilarious see a RO in mc’s bedroom and asking what the hell are all those pictures and whatever. XD
As my mc is a real charmer and like hitting all the the girls she sees, is difficult to say who I like most. But my top 3 is Cam, Megan and the cute and lovely elf girl. :3

2 Likes
  • It’s great. Megan is fun to hang out with and is gives you the opportunity to flirt with her.
  • it
1 Like

Just played through and I remember playing this sometime last year and I really like how it’s progressing. I very much enjoy the characters and how they all have their own distinct personality. I also like many others very much enjoyed Hou and the interaction ihr him. Though I’m not gonna lie I was really hoping to tame and keep him in maybe a Mushu kind of fashion. I would not be opposed to receiving a magical or even non magical pet down the road.

Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

@Nexus And the signed photo of Lucy would probably be framed and displayed at the center of it :smile:

@Dark_Stalker Thanks for the catch!

@Zsero Thank you! :blush: I rewatched Mulan about a week ago, I love that movie.
In chapter 4, you can adopt a cat-sized pet dragon if you want (though it’s still in egg form and will hatch in another chapter), and MCs who tamed Hou will se more of him later in the game

Small update We added characters description in the stats page

10 Likes

I know that it has been a while since the last update, and I’m not sure if it’s ok to comment in this thread after so long!
But I’ve just played the last update and I loved it!

And this is mainly because of something really curios: I had the same idea for a story.
I the idea of an urban fantasy, about a young man/woman in a big city working with a group of people on cases related to a supernatural community living in the same town. And yes that might not seem as much, but when I look at the characters they’re also really similar:

-A redhead girl with an optimistic and cheerful personality. Check!
-A guy with blue eyes and black hair that could be a total jerk and was always grumpy and independent. Check! (Although, he was less arrogant and had a strong friendship with the redhead girl)
-A girl who was some kind of eccentric genius in technology. Check! However, her physical description is totally different.

• Another guy who was the brother (in this case step-brother) of the redhead girl. Check!

And even some other details. It’s actually kind of uncanny. The only big differences are that everybody could see the supernatural, so it was more or less accepted and not a secret; And that each one of the team members was also a supernatural creature, so each one was specialized in a certain area of the supernatural community.

I mean, it was a silly idea that I had for a while, and although I had some fun with it, I would probably have never wrote it! So I’m really glad that someone is working with the similar concept!

And I must say that I really like what I’ve seen. I love the urban fantasy setting, the lighthearted tone, the detailed stats and glossary, the references to things like Carmilla and such, the story seems promising and the characters are really interesting.
I’m not such a big fan of Dominic and Meg, although I don’t hate them or anything. But I really like Cameron, Grey, Lucifer and Lenny.

The only issue that I have is that the cases look really short and easy. I mean, there have been only two at the moment, so I hope that it gets more difficult and complex later. I think I would recommend playing the second chapter of Evertree Inn as an example of an interesting mechanic to gather information in order to resolve a case, I mean a shorter and less complex version of that.

But I’m really eager to see where the story goes next!

Oh, and By the way:

Meg, MC, Grey, Cam and Dom.

18 Likes

@MockTurtle Thank you, I’m glad you enjoy the game :blush:
First, I just want to say I love your fanart :heart_eyes: The characters look so great, and I love all the details you put in. I saw your post in class (religion which I don’t take as a class but I usually stay in the classroom-it’s between my other classes- and try to be quiet and do something) and I barely managed not to squeal and break Roxy’s hand! :heart_eyes_cat: :scream_cat: (The teacher and some classmates gave me weird looks. Did I mention the classroom was really quiet? :sweat_smile: )

Wow, the similarities really are curious! It happened to me too, having an idea then reading or seeing something similar to it.

I was afraid the cases would feel that way; that’s why I asked Roxy to help me further on and if we work together we can hopefully improve them :slight_smile: I bought and played Evertree Inn a few days ago, and loved it. The information gathering really looked interesting; I’ll have to draw some inspiration and learn from there.

4 Likes

I’m late to the party but it’s not quite 14 days, so I’m still allowed to post this! (rl can be busy…)

You tell him about your previous job as a librarian, where the library has a secret room with books dedicated to the supernatural- one of the owners is an elf.

At least I think you should add that? But maybe I’m off here. After all I’m not a native speaker.

Intelligence option still does give points to “Fast Learner”.

Why does the sniper option give more points to fighter btw? (63 Sniper and 77 Fighting, I would expect it to be reversed.)

"I’d like to see if you’re truly worthy for us, and taking Greyson’s advice, we’re going to put you on a field mission.”

Again it was Megan who talked with Dom about it. Or should I take that as Dom and Grey discussing about their hiring method regularly? Did Grey annoy Dom with his bitching about the interview questions?..is that Dom’s passive-aggressive way to shut Grey up, by doing exactly what he wants just when Grey is interviewing one candidate by himself? …I see why Dom is the leader. :open_mouth:

Aw, you didn’t add an alcohol free option yet, or did I just overread that?

(…) but being still a minor, I could not let her become an official member, or risk taking her on missions, so I let her hang out with us and set up the workshop for her.

Another missing word.

I very much like how you changed Cam’s backstory. Makes much more sense this way.

Oh, man the start of chapter three threw me somewhat off, but so I at least know exactly how MC felt when Grey started acting. O_O

Bickering with Grey is a pleasure by the way. (But he prefers other insults instead of “old man”, I see…)

…I want that dragon. :heart_eyes:

Actually here in the forum we have quite a few topics about trans and nb characters, NPCs and MCs:

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/trans-discussion-in-and-out-of-choice-games/21305

On the other side there are also a number of WIPs that have very good and extensive choices for gender; [Monsters of New Haven High]
(Monsters of New Haven High - last update 4/02) for example.

Otherwise most authors at least add a third gender option (In case of this WIP may go with “Hey, you!”?) and assume they/them pronouns for the MC. Some authors let the player also chose the pronouns. (How much influence it has in the end basically also depends on how much influence gender generally has on the story. If it’s mostly cosmetic for male and female then there’s not much reason to treat it much different for nonbinary MCs.)

Should you have specific question then there are quite a few nb people on this forum which may or may not would help you, in case that your questions didn’t get answered in one of the threads.

2 Likes

Hi, @Sammysam, and welcome to the party :wink:

Thanks for the catches, I’m not a native speaker, either, so feedback is always welcome.
As for the stats, I have no idea what is happening :confused: Roxy is the one doing the coding, I’ll let her know and maybe she can sort it out.

Once Dom put the hiring help add up, and made the questionnare for the job interview, Grey kept pestering him about how a case would tell more about the person’s skills than paperwork. Grey is a man of action.

I promise, I’ll add the alcohol free option, I haven’t forgotten about it!

And it’s a pleasure for me to write the scenes :smile: (He enjoys bickering very much, but old man is his berserk button)

Glad you’re a Hou fan :dragon:

Thank you for all the topic links! I really want to add an nb option, and now I’m more confident about doing it.

1 Like

Just found out about this WIP - lots of fun, with interesting characters and story, plus an actual interactive MC (if that makes sense). Can’t wait for the next update!

1 Like