Supernatural in New York (WIP) Announcement on post 1442

YES.

3 Likes

Honestly, I think it’s fine having Meg have/have had a crush on Grey. I feel like that happens a lot with younger siblings and their older siblings friends. Yeah it might be off putting for some but idk it makes her more complex in my eyes. Either it’s a feeling she doesn’t want to confront or it’s a feeling she already did and Grey was like “sorry but no”. It’s definietly something the MC could help her work through.

11 Likes

The Christmas case sounds interesting! And I agree with the others it does seem like she might have or had a crush. Maybe you could make it seem more like she saw him as a brother? It seems like he was more supportive of her need for adventure and that could have made them bond like siblings with him supporting that side of her. And he kinda filled the gap left by Dom always being busy and all. That way she can still have a good relationship with him and still call him out on his rudeness and not like it.

1 Like

Now that makes sense. How often did we fall in stupid puppy love for the wrong reasons when we were still young? I can get behind her having had a crush as like a youthful puppy love kinda thing.

4 Likes

Beelzebub and Krampus this is going to be a great Christmas

5 Likes

Is it possible to make Eva my sword???

2 Likes

One thing though, this might cause friction with a MC who goes after Grey. Meg might be not be a jealous type but you can’t really say.

1 Like

I’d hate that. I preferred Meg’s character before, she was nice to everyone unless you were an asshole, then she didn’t put up with it and say F you too. I can get over her being a little more tolerant of him than she was before though.

I’d rather her not be turned into the cliche nice girl that gets a crush on the asshole bad boy when one of her main things is she hates rudeness. Also I’d rather not deal with that when I’m romancing her, people with Grey probably don’t wanna deal with that either. And seeing as it’s already a big turn off from Meg for a lot of people just from wrong wording, making it an actual thing is just gonna have people skip over her.

6 Likes

I see…was earlier assuming Eva is Excalibur… :slight_smile:
Well, for Lucifer’s jest…i was thinking my line will be something like " You may be the Prince of Underworld, I am the King of Living land … so King is still mightier than the prince :-p"

2 Likes

I mean, I can totally see why people would be turned off from romancing her if she had a crush on Grey. I think that’s a valid opinion that a lot of people hold. I mean why go after someone if they’re already into someone else? That being said, it’s kinda unfair to her character to say that because she, maybe, once upon a time had/has a crush on someone who could be considered a bad boy that she’s suddenly a boring cliche. Having a crush on someone doesn’t change who you are as a person, and you can disagree with or even get angry at people that you like/are friends with. Also, crushes are just that, they’re crushes. They don’t last.

Anyway, I’ll stop my ranting now. I’m honestly fine with whatever @Rebelgirl chooses to do with her character, and I’m excited to see how the Christmas episode plays out!

5 Likes

Yes your right it doesn’t turn her into a boring cliche I misspoke and I apologise to you and @Rebelgirl for it. That happening though, to me, would be a giant 180 of her character from what I was used to and remembered, and a turn off from her for me and I just let the words flow out without thinking.

3 Likes

Its sweet of you to apologize but there’s really no need. I’m sorry if my tone seems defensive or hurt, that wasn’t the intention when I wrote that but tones tricky with just written words. Honestly, I just like to debate things! But sometimes I get a little too enthusiastic about arguing and end up being more abrasive than I meant. I’m sorry for that and I’ll try to be more careful of how I’m ord things in the future as well. I really value your opinion on this forum, especially because this isnt the first time we’ve ended up disagreeing on something but I always think you have really good and valid points!

4 Likes

@Logan3000x At least someone wasn’t deterred :grin:

@Apeking4 Won’t it? :wink: Beelzebub is also a RO

@Sailendranath_Murmu Yes, whether you romance her or not, though not now.

@Eric_knight Lucifer wouldn’t mind the MC jesting. He’s Prince of Underworld along his six brothers, though Satan acts more like a king

Prepare for some Meg rant

Summary

Thank you all for inputing your opinions. As much as I may want to please everyone, I know I can’t, and I also have to be satisfied with what I’m writing. That being said, I think the best compromise would be having them be close friends, no romantic feelings involved.

While developing Meg’s character, I thought of some ways her relationship with Grey could be:
They dated a little before he took a gap year and making Meg feel betrayed- scraped the idea because I thought it may put off readers

Grey had a crush on Meg when he realized she went from little girl to young woman, but didn’t act on his feelings because she was Dom’s sister, and the crush faded away

They were just close friends who helped each other- he was supportive of her wild, adventurous side, she pushes him to be better.

I will go with the friends relationship, and if there is any place where it feels like there may be something between them, please let me know and I’ll rewrite it.

@rosemary_and_sage Meg’s crush on Grey during her teen years would be interesting to explore, but if it puts people who might want to romance them off, I’m just as willing to expand on their friendship, which is as strong as the one between Grey and Dom. There’s something very spoilery which would maybe make their friendship, despite their differences, make sense.

@Zsero Yes, I’m thinking of having her seeing him more like a brother, it seems like the best solution.

@resuri08 Meg is not necessarily jealous… but if someone flirts with the person she likes/dates she’ll start making displays of affection to get her massage across

You’re right, and I want her to continue being like this. She’ll tolerate Grey because of their friendship.

There’s no need to apologize :blush: I’m glad to hear all opinions. After rewriting their interactions to show she disapproves of his attitude, tell me what you think.

14 Likes

One detail on the Christmas episode summary to consider:

Summary

“With help from Beelzebub, can you catch the monster and make it in time to your family dinner?”

The “family dinner” thing means assuming that the MC is either Christian or from a culturally Christian family, which may not be the case, especially in New York. While there is a longstanding New York Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas, that’s not quite the same as a classic Christmas dinner; I don’t know what the traditions of people from other religious backgrounds are. I know I would be annoyed to have the MC I’d been imagining as coming from a secular Jewish background suddenly defined as culturally Christian.

1 Like

That’s a great point. I kept it at family dinner, but I could change it to a choice up to the MC: if they’re Christian, it’s Christmas dinner; if they are of another religion, they are maybe invited over to Lenny’s or a Cam’s…(Cam comes from a family of both Christians and Jews). Would that be acceptable? Or they could just be eager to get out of the snow.

7 Likes

As someone who does celebrate Christmas and isn’t Christian, I think it’s fine that this detail is included because a lot of the U.S gets time off for this holiday (i know that it sucks that it doesn’t line up with a lot of other religious holidays) it would still be a good time for the Mc to get together with family even if they don’t celebrate Christmas and maybe @Rebelgirl could make the dinner vague enough so non Christmas celebrating people could just see it as a family get together?

5 Likes

I posted just as you did :slight_smile:
The idea of being a family get together with no religion context is good, and I’ll add it a choice. Even Beelzebub is having fun with Christmas presents and Christmas parties, and he’s a demon.

5 Likes

Christmas seems like that kind of Holiday that is universally celebrated regardless if you’re religious or not.

At least here it is. Lol

3 Likes

With the mc’s family knowledge of the existence of the supernatural like Lucifer, the other deadly sins demons and hell that family would probably follow some traditions of christianity and ignore some others just because they know rather than believe.

Also can Beelzebub turn into a giant fly?

4 Likes

Personally i don’t think it is wrong for Meg and Grey to be ex-lovers, i mean it will only makes Meg and Grey as a more unique RO, i think in most HG/CoG readers expect all ROs to be not involved in a love relationship before, but if a reader really love that RO, i dont think it matters…
In fact to have 2 ROs who may be lovers before only make your story more unique than others, this will add more dimensions and personality to potential ROs so that it doesn’t feel all these ROs are just gorgeous men and women to be placed on display for only to be select by MC
It is Meg 's life and past if she want to endure 's grey attitude, perhaps it will be best we have choice to advice her to draw a line with grey , instead of rewrite her personality just to please readers, because it will feel a bit fake… I mean why dont we are given choice to advice her action, and if Meg likes us she will listen to us…
For example , if i am romancing Eva but i choose to advice Meg regarding her relationship with grey… Meg can replies " what do you care? You already have Eva"…
If we are only romancing Meg , Meg can replies " Promise me we will deal with this together"

5 Likes