The Superlatives: Shattered Worlds -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

The sequel to The Superlatives: Aetherfall! Playable as a sequel and as a stand alone! When you email me, please let me know if you’ve replayed S1 and made a save, or if you want to test as a stand alone game.

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access. DO NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE THROUGH THE FORUM MAIL SYSTEM. When you send your EMAIL, include your forum-name, your real name, and the game you want to test.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

(You cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.)

I will send you a link, a username, and a password.

Return feedback TO ME. Preferably part of the same thread, rather than a new email.

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, SCREENSHOTS are VERY HELPFUL. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that. Also, the “BUG” button is great; but if you use BUG, make sure to say in your email who you are, so I can give you credit for the report.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback:

In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

If you feel the game is rushed, take screenshots of those moments and explain why it feels rushed.

If you feel the game ends abruptly, take a moment and explain how it ended, and what more you would have liked to have seen. Did you want a final romance scene? Did you want a recap of what happened? Was there a plot thread that was unresolved? The more specific you can be, the better.

21 Likes

I wonder who the first person to ask about what Jason’s email address is will be…

17 Likes

Do you take fax lol

4 Likes

I just pushed the new version with savegame functionality to Steam, Google, and Amazon.

6 Likes

Dez, please read the initial post again.

Also: just send a quick bug report as one variable in the first game slipped into an achievement’s text, thus maybe going to cause an error down the line?
But I suggest holding off making new playthroughs till it is fixed

(Be free to delete this once fixed)

2 Likes

We’ve received a number of useful comments so far that need to be implemented. I’m going to hold off on admitting any more testers until those comments have been addressed.

Thank you for your patience!

10 Likes

There’s a new draft up! All sorts of bugfixes, cameos from characters from the first game, and continuity fixes.

I’ll send out a handful more invites.

5 Likes

this already sounds so good.
though does this mean someone will have to make a savefile where they got everyone killed to check for continuity?

2 Likes

That would be useful, I suppose. :confused:

2 Likes

Applause to the tester managing that, cause above and below know screwing up on purpose is HARD

3 Likes

New draft posted, and a patch has been pushed for S1 as well.

I’ll send out a few more invites.

6 Likes

Can I be a beta tester

My form username is TheKingGamer Antoinne

My real name is

Antoinnr

@TheKing_GamerAntoinn, please refer again to this paragraph in the opening post;

You are NOT meant to message Jason here on this thread about beta testing, nor use the Forum Mail System. You are meant to send a direct email to him, with your details provided, on the email address he has provided.

4 Likes

I’m still not taking new testers anyway, as I wait for a new draft from the author.

1 Like

New draft posted!

*Added additional content for imported romances
*Adjusted targets for tests and end states
*Fixed bugs involving the Mysterious Officer
*Fixed a number of typos
*Added additional stat boost opportunities

2 Likes

I’ve just sent out another five invites; however, there are still more people in the queue.

1 Like

New draft posted!
*All typos and bugs reported so far have been addressed.

2 Likes

New draft posted:

• Fixed the romance partner name issue.
  • Fixed a handful of small bugs and errors.
  • Added some content for imported characters (along with extra import variables).

ETA: fixed the problem with NPCs in the party scene of Ch 8 just now.

3 Likes