Stupidly ambitious game development

Oooh, okay, stupidly ambitious game development? I’ve got a plethora of those, but the most difficult (and the one I want to do the most) would have to be this story I’ve had in my head for a long time.

You play as an amnesiac mercenary working under a group called the “Handymen” in a relatively peaceful kingdom… except for when a bloody coup d’etat is put into place and your group is slaughtered while under hire to protect either the prince/princess while the royal guard tries and fails to take back the throne. In an attempt to revive whoever you would’ve been closest with at that time when they’re killed in the attack, you take on the Cassandra-like curse of this seeress and lose your eyesight to become the next seer yourself.

Relatively simple, right?

Except no, because that’s when the story diverges into way too many variations including, but not limited to: the option to become a god, the option to go and train with a group of spiritual warriors, the option to travel with a band of performers, start a revolution, get captured by an evil king, turn said evil king good or become the puppet master and make him your puppet ruler, join an ongoing revolution, become an assassain, become the most powerful sorcerer/ess in all the land, go insane and attempt to fight your way through the everlasting insanity, die and take over hell, or just escape from hell, hell- you could even marry the Death themself if that’s your style, join a mountain tribe, guide said mountain tribe in the midst of civil war, and so on.

Not to mention the romances. There’s about as many romances as there are plot lines.

Needless to say, if I ever did get to write this game, I’d have to cut out most of it or just turn it into a series.

5 Likes

I want to create a combat system that involves both stats and decision making. Striking a balance between the two so that even if you’re lacking in stats you can still fight and win a battle (although not as easily) by making good decisions, or you can lose a battle despite having OP stats by making constant stupid decisions (Why aim left when the enemy is on your right?) That kind of thing.

7 Likes

Stupidly ambitious… stupidly ambitious… hmmmm. Well, I want to make a game that can account for every single choice a PC could possibly make, a game where the PC’s choices matter in an infinitely complex way. Past choices affect present choices that affect future choices. Right now it feels as if games can only offer the illusion of choice. The frustrating thing about making a game is realizing your limits. There always comes a moment where I feel obligated to railroad the PC onto some sort of set path. I always feel like I can only allow the game to branch so much before I have to start consolidating in order to get any progress done at all.

I suppose I could help this issue if I had a big team and a lot of money, but that would probably help anything mentioned in this thread.

11 Likes

I, like many, have tried and failed to create an RPG in choice script.

3 Likes

Umm, guys, I did make an RPG with CS. Towergirls: CS edition, anyone remember?

4 Likes

There’s also @AlexCosarca’s Red Moon I: Rise and Conquer - A neverending medieval RPG

4 Likes

coughlike Terminal? cough

1 Like

Time to learn programming language!

I’m trying! :sob: Lmao.

The closest thing that you are thinking I can tell you right now that ever came into existence was the Fable and Game book series. Would you can play all the one source forge for its by the way. It was insanely ambitious and close to 30 year Hiatus the seven books coming out. It was pretty much the gaming board look equivalent of Elder Scrolls every game book was a part of the world and they were all interconnected. Literally if you did one thing and one game but it could affect the outcome of the other or the landscape. so each game book was a section or continent I don’t like going on one Grand Adventure but the world we have complete because they only had 6 books released are supposed to 12. Look it up my friend amazing and this should be a great source of inspiration.
Another thing they done incredibly well with each area of the world has a very different flavor and feel. Which give strange interesting wonderful lore!

3 Likes

I want to buy more games like Choice of Robots and Tin Star even though they took a lot of heart and effort to make and you only get games like those like once in a blue moon.

I want to play a game where your choices cause non-linear branching and where story and characters change long-term because of the decisions you make.

7 Likes

I try make a game about ant colony life. Made it choose if player want play as the feature queen ant, worker ant, maid ant, soldier ant, scout ant, sacrificial ant (males that die for the queen). It sound simple in my head and when I try code, became a mezz. Way ambitious for my first attempt. Had plan make it open world and have death traps, but it was hard to make happen :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Well finish your Beauty and the Beast retelling and I will love you forever :heart:

1 Like

Terminal? What is Terminal you speak of? :confused:

3 Likes

Hmm maybe it was terminus? That one with fading text

3 Likes

That sounds amazing :wink:

2 Likes

It was most certainly… :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah! Terminal: The Game Without an End. It would have been awesome. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

OH!

Terminal: A Tale About an End

That old chestnut. I haven’t forgotten about it, I’ve just been incredibly distracted with CSIDE. One day… Maybe I’ll drop some of the flair though :confused:

5 Likes

No, I’m sure it’s

Terminal: A Tale WITHOUT an End currently. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes