Streets of Treslan: A Stab In The Dark - "Psuedo-Cyberpunk" High Fantasy [Updated 4/3/19]

science-fantasy
nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice

Coverart and illustrations by my talented godsend of a friend, oldchalk.
After literal months of procrastination, I’ve finally begun work on this ambitious project. It’s a self-described “pseudo-cyberpunk high fantasy” in which you play as an aspiring adventurer in the city of New Treslan, newly accepted into a band of heroes.

Currently, there is very little available, just the prologue and character creation. My schedule is as chaotic as my mind itself, so I have no idea how often I’ll be updating this, but I hope to get some headway on it at least every few days.
To play the early demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/drdolphinrider/streets-of-treslan-a-stab-in-the-dark-re-reupload/mygame/

Also, the game has a Tungle, I guess: https://drdolphinwriter.tumblr.com

CHANGELOG

4/3/19

• Archetypes have been cut, MC is now always a mage. I’ve added the pugilist class to compensate a little.
  • Stats screen now lists your class.
  • Updated the lore section of the stats screen. Still not done with it.
  • A few extremely minor text changes.

4/2/19

• I don’t actually remember which day I made this change, but I put off adding it to the changelog til now. Added Chalk’s art for Mraenis’ intro.

11/1/19:

• Implemented class selection.
  • Changed up the stats screen a little.
  • Implemented the first traces of the magical Energy and cyberware systems.

1/12/18:

• Reconstructed the game, as I lost the previous chronx file.
  • Added tutorial mode.
  • Overhauled gender selection!
  • Added option to specify your beast form for all therianthropes except werespiders.

7/11/18:

• Completed initial character creation, mostly
  • Updated stats screen with fancy categories and such
  • Some text fixes, courtesy of @Foxboi

9/11/18

• Added chapter headers
CHARACTERS
  • Mraenis Snaerving, the Glacial Gunner
    The vigilant, dutiful and no-nonsense guildleader of the City’s Champions, this Elven cryoturge is unwaveringly dedicated to their morals. They can certainly come across as cold in more ways than one, but it’s not hard to see the sardonic wit and golden heart that lie beneath their serious front.
  • Carson Voland, the Fledgling Fleshshaper
    One of your fellow recruits, an inexperienced Human carnoturge with an interest in self-modification. They aspire to become a sinuous killing machine, but have yet to get much headway in their transformation. Despite their unnerving ambitions and interests, they are one of the most amiable and playful people you might ever meet.
  • Krun Derrak, the Watchful Warrior
    The third recruit, a cudgel-wielding Birdman whose greatest asset is his perception far more than his strength. He may not be the most confident socially, but out in the field he has an unshakable faith in his abilities.
  • Herala Moretti, the Deathly Detective
    A Human arcanist, investigator, thanaturge and prankster. With an encyclopedic knowledge under her belt, she’s ready to help her fellow Champions - and the city - however she can.
  • Jada Orson, the Bloodbound Brawler
    A frequent patron of the Adjective Animal, Jada is a Human vampire who fights as rough as she talks. She can be hard to get along with, but she’s an ally to the Champions nonetheless.
  • Giiran Kallask, the Dreamspeaker Dreamboat
    A self-described “jazz-bard” who performs at the Adjective Animal. He’s not all that fond of adventuring and would much rather be working on his music, but he’ll use his voice to help his friends if they ask.
  • Svangaal “Somnolence” Vanchass , the Mollusc Marksman
    A ruthless, calculated, and unflappably professional sniper… When she’s on the job. Once the weapons have been put away and she’s got her gold, all bets are off; this Dreamspeaker lets loose. Also, despite her best efforts, almost nobody actually uses her self-assigned street name.
  • Galen Creed, Hexer-for-Hire
    Galen is a Human witch who specializes in hexes and curses. His magic is potent but as a witch, most of its effects are intangible. He’s determined to make a name for himself as a hitmage, but until then, he’s content adventuring whenever the Champions call on him.

That was an interesting start, although you weren’t lying when you said it is short.

Cyberpunk and high-fantasy really grabbed my interest, however. Would you mind telling us a bit more about your world? It seems unique :smiley:

I wasn’t expecting so many species options. Will our species influence the narrative a lot or is it mainly for stat changes?

Looking forward to more!

Thanks! To be honest, I’m kind of BSing a little when it comes to worldbuilding, but the general premise is a typical fantasy world far in the future. Species will definitely have impacts on the narrative, mostly interactions with other people and flavour text (there’s a little comment if you’re a werebird birdman, for example), and the stat change is very much secondary. Hope I can deliver!

I really love the concept of traditional fantasy characters in a science fiction setting. I can’t wait to see more.

Thanks! More is hopefully coming soon :tm:

Intriguing start to the game! Will definitely keep my eyes out for this one :eyes:

This made me chuckle tho:

*set Furry true

With this knowledge, I don’t know if I can bear doing a werebeast playthrough lol

That aside, one small mistake I found:

*set Species “Elf”
*set Agility %+3
*set Strength %+2

The descriptions says elves have “inborn dexterity”, so shouldn’t it be dexterity instead of agility?
And Strength should be -2, not plus.

Shit, nice catches. Fixing that now, thanks!

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Have you ever actually ridden a dolphin? Do you actually have a PhD?
Yes, these are incredibly vital questions which require immediate answers

Nope to both. Truly, I am a hack and a fraud.

CoG Comics
Issue #2018: The Archon defeats Dr Dolphinrider with…THE TRUTH

Good start. Looking forward to more.

Thanks!

Cyberpunk and Fantasy?

Is this Shadowrun!?

You had me at Cyberpunk.
You doubly so had me at being able to be a Werebeast or a Vampire.

Heh, thanks! I’ve never done anything with Shadowrun, actually, but I definitely see the similarity!

Vampire goblin now I can embrace my true form

In general, if you are using Fairmath, %+3 or %+2 will often do nothing. %+10 is a smallish nudge, and %+5 is a teensy one.

Your writing is really good, and the options to be both a were/vampire/unturned and a different species is something new. I’m eyeing that Dreamspeaker species; I’ve never seen anything like that before.

Thanks!

Yo, from the discord. This seems cool, can’t wait to see more progress.

Hey! Thanks!