Street Jam: The Rise (Finished and submitted)

Ah, so it was eventually released. I remember following the progress of the KotOR restoration content, but that thing took years, I kind of lost it from sight at some point… also lost the CD, I think. :no_mouth:

too bad…restored content mod…make the game feel almost new :smiley:

Wait, the way you’re handling Royal’s gender is going to be REALLY tedious and make your files all double the length they have to be. I prefer to just make a list of variables for each gender pronoun (so he/she, his/her, etc.) and have the “Guy” or “Gal” choice decide what each variable’s value is. So one variable could be “royalheshe” and another “royalhisher”, and when you get to the gender choice, just have the guy option set royalheshe = he and royalhisher = his and vice versa. Then when you need to use a gender pronoun in the game, you just pop in “${royalheshe}” (I think I got the notation right) and it displays the correct pronoun.

3 Likes

Sorry but I’ve been working on the code all day so I am half asleep. Okay how would this look in practice? You can just copy and paste the code I showed and change it if you want. If not, I’ll just keep going.

3 Likes

Hmmmm, right now I’m on my phone, so I don’t have my code on me, and I haven’t coded in quite a bit so I can’t do it off the top of my head. Once I get home in like 2 hours or so, I’ll give you a sample of what it would look like for the “Guy” or “Gal” option and then how you would implement it in the choices after.

3 Likes

Okay, I finally got back and I skimmed my code and was able to get the basic gist of it again. So there are 3 steps to this process.

1. At the very start of your file, you need to create a few variables, along with your normal ones:
Creating the Variables

*create royalheshe NA
*create royalhimher NA
*create royalhisher NA

The way I usually notate it is the character’s name along with the male pronoun followed by the female pronoun. You can also make capital versions of each in case you want to be more versatile with your word choice. “NA” stands for not applicable, that way if you mess up step 2, you’ll notice it.

1. At the gender choice, you need to set all of these variables to either the male pronoun or female pronoun, and it’ll look like this:
Gender Choice (Male)

*choice
#Guy
*set royalheshe he
*set royalhimher him
*set royalhisher his
Royal had a platinum chain that says “Greatness” in big letters and a purple leather jacket on. He has short dark side-swept hair and a goatee on top of his dark skin. His hair is topped with a checkered wool ivy cap. You also notice he has a golden tooth. Overall, he seems quite fit.

And after this, you’re all set to reap all of the benefits, such as making things neater. So instead of this:

Yucky Code

#Royal insulted my best friend

*if (Royal>3)
	You didn't let what Royal said about you bother you, but when they targeted your best friend you drew the line. You got up in her face and told her to fuck off, but Royal just shoved you.
	*line_break
	Bad idea.
	*line_break
	You struck Royal and the two of you went at it, but in the end the teachers pulled the two of you apart before a clear winner emerged. You both got in trouble, but it was just a suspension. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to stay home from school? And Royal stopped bothering you, making you sure everything was finally over.
	*line_break
	You were wrong.
	*goto highschoolbrawl
*else
	You didn't let what Royal said about you bother you, but when they targeted your best friend you drew the line. You got up in his face and told him to fuck off, but Royal just shoved you.
	*line_break
	Bad idea.
	*line_break
	You struck Royal and the two of you went at it, but in the end the teachers pulled the two of you apart before a clear winner emerged. You both got in trouble, but it was just a suspension. Who on earth would not want to stay home from school? And Royal stopped bothering you, making you sure everything was finally over.
	*line_break
	You were wrong.

*goto highschoolbrawl

You can have this:

Neat Code

#Royal insulted my best friend

You didn't let what Royal said about you bother you, but when they targeted your best friend you drew the line. You got up in ${royalhisher} face and told ${royalhimher} to fuck off, but Royal just shoved you.
	*line_break
	Bad idea.
	*line_break
	You struck Royal and the two of you went at it, but in the end the teachers pulled the two of you apart before a clear winner emerged. You both got in trouble, but it was just a suspension. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to stay home from school? And Royal stopped bothering you, making you sure everything was finally over.
	*line_break
	You were wrong.

*goto highschoolbrawl

It’s almost half the length! This is much better because it’ll save you a lot of space on your files and make it easier to read your code. Subroutines are very messy!
And that concludes my lesson on how to handle a character with dynamic gender, thank you!

6 Likes

Yeah, it only came out a few years ago. It took forever to be completed in “free time” while the employees were working on other games.

Back on topic now!

It won’t work.

Oh, I forgot to add quotes :stuck_out_tongue:
NA should be in quotes, and the same applies to when you do the set commands

Fixed lol, anyway I just put in the second boss fight and I’m wondering if you think there could be more backgrounds and if so, any suggestions?

@E_RedMark
@Talyrion
@pizzamarket This goes to you three as well, any suggestions? Or is that enough backgrounds?

1 Like

Well, in terms of quantity, there’s enough backgrounds, no problem. I would even argue that a few seem a bit redundant - for instance, the difference between discharged due to striking an officer or just getting in too much fights is minimal in terms of storytelling, or the various sport paths are rather undifferenciated (though having a potential baseball background being useful when it’s time to swing a bat was a nice touch).

What I can think of:
-in the sport department, I could see a boxer (or any combat sport practitionner, really), perhaps seeking more extreme fights
-for a completely atypical approach, you may throw in something like a writer or a poet background, chasing inspiration by being in the thick of things.
-in a similar vein, you could have a rich, yet bored heir(ess) seeking a new thrill

2 Likes

got this : The_Start line 11133: bad label bosslose2

@Megus @E_RedMark that is where the game ends, please pay attention to my updates.

The point of the various ex-millitary backgrounds are for your favorite stat boosts, not storytelling as they won’t have any difference. And each sports path will have its opportunities.

-So you want me to a seeking more extreme fights option as a motivation? And I originally had envisioned having the backgrounds, boxer, wrestler, martial artist, and kickboxer but I opted against it because if the player chose that background but didn’t want to have a specific combination of stats it would break immersion to have a wrestler using martial arts, or a boxer grappling.
-I will add a photographer who is looking to expose the underground circuit to the world and get famous, any more ideas?
-I’ll try to figure out how to put that in without blocking background choices

you may wanna add those for the fighters we meet though . I would love to take down a kickboxer :smiley:

Summary

Jane (And quite honestly me) is dissapointed with your decision

Influencing the players…are we ? :rofl:

1 Like

that happen mid the fight with the Boss .

I know, the next club is a wrestling club. And we’ll find a martial arts dojo eventually.

oof