Street Jam: The Rise (Finished and submitted)

same here

1 Like

@ChristandJackel I love that show!

@Exeldgamer @Megus @Jackpot1776 @Alfred_Melia @Jeremy_Stumbaugh I already stated that I know the demo is currently not working and I even updated the post to say the demo is not working.

3 Likes

Ghetto isn’t universally used for black people, and it’s really not that big of a deal to describe something/someone as ghetto. As you said, it’s similar to outlandish or unconventional, but “ghetto” rolls off the tongue and is much shorter than those two. It also fits the tone of the game better, since in a place like New Betts City, it seems plausible for people to refer to others as ghetto, commonly.

6 Likes

I said what I said. he can easily use outlandish as i said before i’m not going back and fourth with you over something I as a black person have experienced in my life and seen with my two eyes. Duh its not universally used for black people but in this context in a story about gangster “News Betts City” it clearly is. Just because something rolls of the tongue doesn’t mean it should be used. You dont think its a big deal because it was never used to dehumanize you and where you come from PERIOD

1 Like

You know, you’re right. Nobody knows what you’ve been through or what your personal experiences are. It’s never the same. I simply wouldn’t know what your situation is like because I’ve never went through it.

That being said, I think the core of the point they’re trying to make is about intent. The intent that they are talking about isn’t to use it as demeaning or derogatory. It’s meant as a descriptive factor in describing things. However, there is a simple workaround accomplished by the fact that there are other perfectly functional words that manage the same meaning.

The term “Ghetto” to refer to black culture, isn’t however a purely problem on a single end. I know many amazing people of all different types and backgrounds. Including African people who have served in the navy, do charity work and have stable jobs.

So imagine their surprise, when people of their own culture accuse them of “not being black” because they aren’t acting “Ghetto.” The saddening thing about it isn’t solely on the fact that “Ghetto” prejudices a certain race, but the added fact that it means that the groups prejudiced by it, have taken into believing those stereotypes about themselves and acting outside of it is “Not actually being black.”

I can’t tell you what it’s like to be black and judged by some people because of it, but I still believe things and words need to be about intent. I don’t know. I only know that the intent in this specific case, is not to insult or demean.

But, I can understand how this would make some other people uncomfortable by it’s use as well, and accept that not everyone can share the same sentiment about the intents of the words. So, I would have to ultimately agree it’s better off not being used, even if the intent is not malicious.

3 Likes

That’s enough guys, this discussion has gotten too heated. Let’s just all agree to disagree here, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Please, everyone let’s just discuss something else… I fixed the game and updated it, what do you guys think of the RO’s and Sascha’s sex scene?

2 Likes

Trying to punch (in his smug face) the guy showing up during strength training after the first fight club triggers this message: “The_Start line 3321: Invalid expression; expected name, found OPEN_PARENTHESIS at char 1”

EDIT: also got an error in the transition toward the second chapter: “Error: Vendetta line 3052: label ‘whome’ already defined on line 3002”

@Talyrion @Bloody_Carnage21 fixed

It’s almost the end of the demo, so it’s not a really big deal, but picking the “sure, but I can save myself” answer after spending the night with Sascha triggers an error message: ‘Vendetta line 3390: Expected option starting with #’

Anyway, went through the last fight and the ROs, and all in all, it was pretty fun! Now I want to see if it’s even possible to reach a >54 stamina for the straight win, though I suspect that even if you can, that means losing most of the other fights (on the other hand, speed builds seem to be definitely easier to manage than the rest).

A formulation that left me confused a bit: if you pick the hardcore route against Sascha, the text mention that you snap her neck, which seems… a bit too lethal. I mean, clearly it isn’t, but I can’t help but think there’s something wrong with the image somewhere?

On older stuff, I just noticed a possible continuity error. When you’re asked about your and Royal’s past, you can mention that our respective parents hated each other. Yet there’s a decent chance that you picked the orphan background previously, meaning it doesn’t seem really possible for that option to make sense.

@Talyrion Glad you liked it! So you managed to beat Sascha then? Great! Seems you decided to sleep with her and fulfill the all amazons love Hercules trope.

Maybe you’ve never seen but it is possible to snap someone’s neck to just injure them, in popular media neck snaps usually mean instant death but that is actually harder to do than a neck pain snap, but since you didn’t know that thst information may be a bit too obscure.

And I know about that one, I hadn’t programmed orphan background differences yet so I can fix that up now.

2 Likes

Played some of the demo and really enjoyed it. This game reminded me how awesome the first two Def Jams where. I’ll definitely be buying this. ^^

1 Like

I see nothing wrong with the code.

#Endure and dodge
	*if (Speed>19)
		*if (Endurance>19)
			You may not be as fast as he is, but you are still fast. All you have to do is endure the attacks of his that land and do your best to avoid the rest. You can do this!
			*line_break
			You do your best to duck and backstep his moves, with varying success. You make sure to just grit your teeth and bare the damage his strikes do, not slowing down no matter how much pain you are in. This equally requires both dexterity and pain tolerance from you.
			*line_break
			Soon, he slows down. You have successfully predicted and evaded his attacks. What a wimp!
			*line_break
			Spike stops and takes a breathers, so you head across the cirle from him and recover. What can you do now?

*goto Spikeend
		*else
			You may not be as fast as he is, but you are still fast. All you have to do is endure the attacks of his that land and do your best to avoid the rest. You can do this!
			*line_break
			You do your best to duck and backstep his moves, with varying success. You make sure to just grit your teeth and bare the damage his strikes do, not slowing down no matter how much pain you are in. This equally requires both dexterity and pain tolerance from you.
			*line_break
			But you find yourself slowing first. Maybe you do not have the evasive skill required for this tactic, or perhaps your endurance falters under his onslaught, but you slow down before he does because his adrenaline hasn't run out yet.
			*line_break
			He quickly takes advantage of your slowed pace and hits you with a jab to the throat that takes your breath out. But he does not stop there, he adds in a headbutt that makes you take a step back and look up at the ceiling.
			*line_break
			As soon as you move your eyes back on Spike you see a blur of movement and find yourself with a stinging pain in your stomach while simultaneously feeling a sharp impact in your jaw that makes the lights go out for a second. You falls down to the ground and Spike is on you and has your leg up in an instant. You don't kick out in time, and the crowd cheers for Spike.
			*line_break
			Did... did Spike just hit you in the stomach and in the jaw at the exact same time?
			*line_break
			*line_break
			"And I couldn't even see what happened at the end there, but whatever it was it's got ${name} with a bloody ass shirt on the ground! Spike has done it again!" The announcer shouts.
			*line_break
			*line_break
			You suddenly hear someone speaking in your ear. "Sorry about that, I saw an opportunity and I took it. Trust me, you would have been more injured if I let it go on." Seems Spike is not really a bad guy... but boy, does your stomach hurt.

*goto bosslose2

Hey bro. I’ve been working on my own story myself, but I actually love this one, so so much. Keep up the good work!!! :grin::grin:

2 Likes

1 Like

Errors attached.

Summary

1 Like

I was running track and after the fight it cut to this pitcher scene which i assume is for baseball players

1 Like

@Jule Very good. Shame it won’t be free like I originally envisioned.

@jmar No that is just a typo

@Blmc000 Most are fixed but the spike fight choice had no problem. It is another example of the choice not working for no reason so I rearranged it, tell me if it fixed

@Spyder I like the sound of that bro! I’ll check yours out later

1 Like