Story Title: How to choose, what to include and how to improve?

I like the current title (the longer one). Though the “inter” part threw me off a little, I think I’d actually prefer something along the lines of ‘Literary Adventures of a 5th Grader’ etc.).

On the other hand, I adore the idea of using the phrase Plot Hole.

Since you are writing a series, how do you feel about using:

• (insert tiltle) 1, 2, 3
  • changing only a single word: eg. Mommy, we fell into a plot hole; Mommy, we returned to the plot hole, Mommy, we closed the plot hole (these examples might not be the best, but I hope they are illustrative enough to convey what I was trying to say)
  • deploying J. K. Rowling’s tactic of “Harry Potter and (insert here)” or Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings: (insert here”)?
Suggestions

Adventure Kids: Fall into a Plot Hole
Adventure Kids: Book Bounded
Adventure Kids: Beyond the Fourth Wall
Bookworms in a Plot Hole
Bookworms are Book Bounded
Bookworms Beyond the Fourth Wall

Hm, I think I need to think this over. I will be back!

1 Like

My title for WiPs are usually the first word or two that pops into my head when writing it. Just a word or two that perfectly sum up the game and gives the reader an idea of what they’re getting into but also leaves a certain amount of mystery to keep them guessing.

Take a small side project of mine : Eternal Warrior. Immediately portrays fighting. Gives you an idea but leaves you guessing to the eternal part. And what kind of warrior? Modern, futuristic or medieval?

All in all, just think about the core elements of your game and sum it up.

3 Likes

Oh wow! Thanks for the suggestions! :blush:

I like the longer version too, but the shorter one is just more practical. I know the “inter” part would trip some people off, so that’s why I added the dash. “Literary Adventurers” just sounded a bit bland to me.

I’m not too keen on using the Fourth Wall as part of the title though since it’s spoilery and misleading. And bookworms would have… uh, different connotations in the third book. It’s kinda hard to explain, hehe.

But that might be unnecessary since omggg I think I just fell in love with your second suggestion. :heart_eyes: I didn’t think widely enough. Your suggestions are pretty close to what happens in the plot too!

So now I’m considering either Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole! or Mommy! We Fell into a Plot Hole! for the first book.

It’s pretty much the tone I’m going for, and it implies that it’s about stories and kids without saying it explicitly. I feel way more comfortable with that than having “a Fifth Grader” or “a Ten Year Old” as a subtitle. Plus I think it’s much more memorable and easier to read. My only gripe is that the series title won’t come naturally. :sweat_smile: I’ll also be able to use my previous title in the story itself now, so that’s nice.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hey I’ve been thinking about a title for my project about romance between immortal people in a high fantasy world.

How about “The Heart that Never Stopped” ?

It reminds me a little too much of “The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down” so maybe not.

Hey you wouldn’t mind doing a poll would you?

Title Poll:

Pick One to Three Options That Seem Like Cool Games You Would Play If You Saw Nothing but the Title of That Game Which is as Follows in this Poll Right Here Thanks For Helping Out It’s Very Much Appreciated

• Kiss of Death
  • The Heart that Never Stopped
  • Til Death Do Us Part
  • Kobolds and Courtship
  • My Immortal: Not the Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Romance Isn’t Dead
  • A Thousand Years of Longing

0 voters

Oh also: @Okami-Nora, I like your analysis. I think you’ve touched on a lot of the themes that the story will deal with. Part of the “catch” of the game is that the characters are only functionally immortal. There’s no rest for them: they each have to maintain their immortality pretty carefully, and the method in which they do so is not always ethical. I just wrote a section where you can choose to just straight-up murder one of the love interests if you think she’s a threat to innocent people.

2 Likes

I would literally go with “Immortal Love” because a good, honest title is something you can’t go wrong with. “Till Death Do Us Part” could mean anything, and also reminds me of the third installment of “Affairs of the Court”. I chose “Kiss of Death” because it’s also simple and comprehensible, but I have to admit that my first association from that title is “vampire mafia boss”. That’s… that’s probably just me, tho.

1 Like

Sorry, I know it’s been 4 years now, but are you satisfied with the title? I was searching through the forum and saw that you chose “Til Death Do Us Part” for the WIP thread but then had to change it because of another game. And “A Thousand Years of Longing” is the most voted on the poll. It made me curious about the naming process if you have the time to chat a little.

The replacement title was chosen in this post: https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/a-kiss-from-death/41037/572?u=will

Thanks, Will :heart_eyes:
Uh-oh, I can’t see the post :sob:
It says: " Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private."

You’ll need to join the adult section of the forum.

Oh, got it! Thanks again ^^
OMG Loved the title “My Immortal, Way Sexier than the Twilight Fan Fiction” and I totally agree with it!